A idea for a change to YB. More info/new idea at end of thread

Vanor

First Post
I had this idea back when we were working out the new YB rules in the committee, at that time no one seemed all that happy with the idea, so I dropped it. With how things have gone so far in YB 2.0, I thought about bringing it up again. Last night in the chat room I brought it up, and was somewhat surprised at the response I got. I wanted to see if it was just I who felt this was a good idea or not. Everyone I mentioned it to last night liked the idea, so I’m posting it up here.

YB is a game of luck, and little else. There is very little skill involved in the game, which is fine, it’s fun that way. There is some skill involved, like knowing when to use a Fist of Fury, or when to use a Dirty trick. But if you get a bad move, you will lose the round most likely, if you get a bad hand, you will lose the game most likely. But I like the fact that It’s mostly luck, there’s something fun about having no idea what kind of move/hand you’ll get, and then trying to make it work anyway when you get the stinker.

To penalize people in this game, which is at least partly about role-playing, for bad luck seems like a bad idea to me. Advancement can become very frustrating, and has actually caused a few people to drop out of the game, or at least start new characters.

My idea is to change the rules so that losses no longer make someone lose rank, effectively everyone would be treated like a white belt. I also think we should adjust the ranks of everyone currently playing to match what rank/tier they would be based purely on the number of wins they have. I would also say that no one could go up by more then 1 tier if we do this (Darkwolf as of last night would, be a black belt 8) People who have changed tiers, due to getting knocked back down to white belt, like Sabaron would have the option of returning to their orginal path, with a rank based on their wins.

I’ve heard a few con’s to this idea.

People would race up in rank, and then the game would become “top heavy” with most people in the upper tiers.

To this I say “so?” Is there anything really wrong with having more people in the upper tiers? Also, last night I went though the hall of records, a total of 5 people would advance by 1 tier if we simply counted wins. And again, is there anything wrong with this? People like Gray, Meowth, Darkwolf, and Kazzt, have serious problems finding a match as is. If more people where in the upper tiers, then they’d have a easier time finding a game. And isn’t that the reason we’re playing this. To play and have fun. If losses don’t really mean much, then the people at the top would have a easier time finding people to play with. This would however require a few changes to the rules. For one thing I think we’d have to remove the rule about beating a higher tier fighter giving you extra ranks. I like the rule from a IC point, but if losses didn’t count, then this rule would become abused.

Also for the 7th tier, I had an idea… As it currently stands, only one person can hold that tier. They lose it if they are beaten by someone of the 6th tier 10th rank, We could have the person who lost his/her spot as the 7th tier, fall back to tier 6, rank 0 and have to work their way up again. I know this seems to go against the whole point of my idea, but it really doesn’t IMO. The person would drop down a good bit, but wouldn’t really lose all that much. They’d still be in the 6 th tier of their path, and it would stop the yo-yo between 2 or 3 people fighting for the 7th tier.

Then winning doesn’t mean anything

I really don’t see how this is true, you can’t advance if you don’t win. I personally find that either winning or loosing, is not much fun anymore. If I win then I’ve pushed someone else down a rank, if I lose then I get pushed down a rank. Darkwolf fought Ariel last night, and even though he won, the victory was rather bitter for him, because he pushed her farther down in disgrace.

I personally think that in a game like YB, which is 90% luck, winning doesn’t mean much anyway… No one can say they won because they were the better fighter/player. And it’s not like people would all of sudden start racing up the ladder. Someone with a loosing record, will still not advance very quickly.

What about people just starting out, they wouldn’t have anyone to fight.

Several people here are already playing more then one character. I could see that when people get high enough they might want to start a new fighter to try out a different path, this is a good thing IMO, the more characters, the more chances to fight.

The bottom line is that IMO and the opinion’s of others, YB could be more fun if it wasn’t quite so cut throat. We took out some of the zero sum game, in YB but it’s still very much a factor, and I think that is limiting the enjoyment of it for many people.

Look at Sidhe Li, Kith and myself. I fought and beat Kith, then Sidhe Li, pushing them both back to green 0. Then I got beat by Ariel and Darkwolf, pushing me back to green 0. Effectively I beat those two green belts, pushing them down in rank, for nothing. I found both of those victories hollow, because I ‘harmed’ two fighters that I would count as IC Friends.

I’m sure some people will be against this idea, but I think quite a few would like it. Either way I’d like to hear people’s opinion on this. If you don’t like the idea, that’s cool, but at least give a reason why you don’t like it, or show a problem you see with it. Perhaps there’s something I didn’t see. I figure we can discuss this for a bit and see what people think, and then I’ll post a poll sometime next week and we can vote on it. Due to the fact that this is a fairly major change in the game, I’d like to see the vote only pass with a good majority vote for the idea.

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
personally the top heavy problem is my main beef here. If there were lots of death matches I would not have a problem with it but if fighters are more or less permanent I prefer more of the bell curve that you get over time with a few at the top and a few at the bottom and most in the middle.

Vanor

First Post
I understand that, but it gets rather frustrating for those who are stuck in the middle, and even more so for those few on the top who can't seem to find anyone willing to fight them. And quite frustrating for those who are stuck on the bottom.

I should of said something in my post... I play YB mostly for the IC side of things, not for the sake of the contest. It's the same way for D&D or other RPG's... I play for the story not the game. So in my mind, it would be more fun for people if they could advance and develop their character.

Phoenix8008

First Post
In general I'd say I like the idea, although there are probably complications to making this change that I have not thought of yet. As for my 2 characters, they would each gain 2 ranks within their current tiers if this change was retroactivly applied to them. And Shard would not currently be under suicide watch.

I'm interested also in hearing what others think.

Phoenix8008

First Post
How about this for a possible fix to the top heavy problem. If a character reaches Tier 7 and then gets beat, he/she retires or dissapears from the land. This gets rid of the yo-yo effect of two people constantly battling back and forth for the top spot, and keeps the top of the paths clearer of multitudes of fighters. It also makes the Tier 7 spot VERY SPECIAL. "There can be only ONE!" for real. Once you reach the top, you must win if you wish to stay around. This also keeps new low level fighters coming back into the game as the masters dissapear from the top tier.

What do ya think?

Last edited:

Vanor

First Post
It could cause a bit of confusion yes... But you are a prime example of the only real problem I see in YB. Your ready to kill off one of your characters, due to bad luck. That says something is wrong IMO.

And a few ranks with in a tier, really wouldn't be that big of a deal to deal with. You wouldn't get any new powers or ablities... just a change to your sig and the fighter reg post.

Zappo

Explorer
I don't think this would be a good idea.

First of all, it would cause a vast increase in the average power level. "So what?", you say. It would also vastly increase the game's complexity, simply because the average character will have a greater number of special powers. And one of YB's strong points is its simplicity. New players would gain a huge number of powers after very few fights, with just some luck. Which means they would have to learn more rules quickly - people don't like that. Yeah, the rules are simple, but learning when to use Fist of Fury, or the way to maximize the efficiency of a Sash's yen use, are not things you get immediately.

Then, there's another thing. YB is partly a roleplaying game, and so you feel that you should have a greater control of your character's advancement. However, in any roleplaying game luck and the DM (external factors) have a great influence on your character. There's nothing wrong or strange about external factors having a great influence on your character. The skill of a roleplayer is in imagining what his character would do in any situation - not just in situations he created himself. I already have in mind what I will do should Kerall die, or become very high tier, or get corrupted, for example, despite the fact that I don't want any of those things happening right now.

Which leads me on a tangent to the topic of Corruption/Redemption. I feel this is a related topic since the degree of control the player has on a character is the main trouble in each. I will never reject a fight with a Dark warrior who could corrupt Kerall, just because he might do it (right now, I will reject it 'cause I'm yellow belt ;))!
I know and accept that I don't have the total control of Kerall's fate. It's normal in any roleplaying game. What's the point of playing if the character can only go in the direction you planned? You could just as well sit down and write a novel. Yes, I didn't expect that Kerall would still be a Yellow Belt 0 with no yen after eleven fights, and I don't like it really, but what you see as a hindrance to roleplaying, I see as an occasion, or a challenge.

Lady Diamond

First Post
I'll throw my two cents in, I was in chat last night when the idea was mentioned and basically I think it's a good idea. We have "power players" who are here just to see how high they can go (and they work hard at it, and have lots of time to devote to it). Then there are folks like me, who love the action and the combat and the IC roleplaying as well, but who don't have all the time in the world to hang out online or play tons of matches. I still don't know how the folks with kids manage to play much at all.

Frankly if I'd fought hard to get to say, tier 4, then had a string of bad luck and lost it all... I'd be very tempted to quit. My free time is extremely valuable to me as a working adult and doubly so, since I take a full class load at college as well. I have to measure where I spend my free time, and sometimes I have to make very hard decisions as to what to keep doing and what to drop. I play very conservatively right now so my one character doesn't lose too quickly what she's gained.

I'd be willing to run perhaps one or two pure "fighting" characters in addition to my main IC character if there were some kind of "backstop" in place to keep players from losing it all, and making it possible to stay at the same rank after a loss is an excellent idea for that.

*chink chink*

Vanor

First Post
Phoenix8008 said:
How about this for a possible fix to the top heavy problem. If a character reaches Tier 7 and then gets beat, he/she retires or dissapears from the land.

What do ya think?

I like this idea :)

It would help recycle players though the ranks, if they so chose, and would make the fights that a tier 7 person has very tense.

Vanor

First Post
Zappo said:
I don't think this would be a good idea.

First of all, it would cause a vast increase in the average power level. "So what?", you say. It would also vastly increase the game's complexity, simply because the average character will have a greater number of special powers.

Good and fair point, but I personaly don't think it would happen. As I said in my post, I looked over the current standings, only 5 characters out of the 49 characters listed in the hall of records, would advance a tier. People wouldn't really race up in ranks all that much faster.

Zappo said:
Then, there's another thing. YB is partly a roleplaying game, and so you feel that you should have a greater control of your character's advancement. However, in any roleplaying game luck and the DM (external factors) have a great influence on your character.

Yes, but in a RPG the point of the game is to have fun, if people aren't having fun, then someone is doing something wrong. It seems to me that a lot of people feel they could have more fun in YB then they currently are.

Zappo said:
You could just as well sit down and write a novel. Yes, I didn't expect that Kerall would still be a Yellow Belt 0 with no yen after eleven fights, and I don't like it really, but what you see as a hindrance to roleplaying, I see as an occasion, or a challenge.

Granted, but again is this more fun? To be honest, I'm not planing on fighting anymore as Vanor, because I am not having fun playing the game. I enjoy fighting, I enjoy the IC stuff, but I don't enjoy the results of fighting.

I'm sure some people will feel like you... And I think you have some valid points. The question is, what would be the most fun for the majorty of the YB players.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases