Da vinci Code vs Gangs of New York STORY LINE

jasper

Rotten DM
The new storyline - to be revealed on June 1st - is described as "The Da Vinci Code meets Gangs of New York."

Read the article here

OK what are your thoughts on the story line. I remember watching the movie but it was so boring I forgot anything about it and had to go look it up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangs_of_New_York
I hope the story line will have some faction vs faction battles. And have some gangs of FR lore fighting it out over the mac guffin.

Yes I start the thread because I could not find any one discussing the story line due to the noise of sales, numbers, and stuff.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Gangs of New York was a fascinating, if flawed, movie.

I stopped reading Da Vinci code because I became tired of cliffhangers at each chapter, and other literary techniques that made it clear the author thought the reader was of mediocre intelligence.

delericho

Legend
I wasn't able to make it through the whole of "Gangs of New York". There was something about that movie that just couldn't hold my attention.

"The Da Vinci Code" is a terrible book and worse film, but makes for a surprisingly good premise for a campaign - set up a series of interlocking mysteries, have the PCs chase for clues, and keep the pace way up. One of my campaigns (set in Eberron) used exactly that as the basis and became one of my best campaigns ever. Though I should note that much of the credit has to go to a great group of players.

So this concept for a storyline is interesting, and could work really well. Sadly, I won't know - after "Storm King's Thunder" I swore off WotC's adventures unless and until they set one in Spelljammer, Dark Sun, or Eberron. :)

pogre

Legend
I know my players are not big fans of intricate puzzles. I'll probably buy the book, but its execution will determine how much use I get out of it.

Oofta

Legend
Gangs of New York was a fascinating, if flawed, movie.

I stopped reading Da Vinci code because I became tired of cliffhangers at each chapter, and other literary techniques that made it clear the author thought the reader was of mediocre intelligence.

So what does it say about my sister-in-law that thinks the books were amazing? :hmm:

In any case, sounds like a setup of various factions with layers of mystery and misdirection. Ancient cults, secret societies, clues hidden in plain site (yes I slogged through the book). Combine that with rival factions all vying for the same goal. Sounds like Thanksgiving dinner as we realize there's only one more piece of pie left. Or the basis for quite a few D&D campaigns. Hopefully something with a little more intrigue and subtlety than "cults bad". We'll see.

For better or worse, I don't have enough knowledge of FR or Waterdeep to really make many more guesses. I'll leave that to the grognards on the other thread that somehow figured out it could all be related to a beholder gem. Me? I'll probably buy it anyway because a city based intrigue adventure could be fun.

Now if it could just figure out how to get the last piece of pie before my sister-in-law gets to it. :mad:

I have the illustrated editions of DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons. Lovely books for all the art and sculptures, and an excuse to get that little history lesson.
But, yeah, generic thriller trash. Still... it's nice to have generic thriller trash based around art and history rather than spies and espionage.

Gangs of New York... I remember that as a thing I watched once. Didn't stand out much. I remember some good performances. But I can see it inspiring a neat adventure of rival gangs competing for a city, picking a side in an underworld war and getting involved in gang warfare for control of the streets and docks. Some good adventure potential there.
Every edition of D&D has had Thieves' Guilds, but so few adventures do anything with the concept.

Remove ads