Da vinci Code vs Gangs of New York STORY LINE

Obviously the AP will be set in Sigil.
1) Because in what city (in D&D) are glorified street gangs more important than Sigil?
2) Where can you be lectured about some "secret history" hiding in Plane...I mean, plain sight?
a) On the Internet where someone will tell you some terrible problem with alignment that his best friend's sister's pen pal's third cousin's (twice removed) pizza delivery guy had while playing D&D in 1983
b) In Sigil, where someone who has never left the city will tell you some alignment related secret that he got from his best friend's sister's pen pal's third cousin's (twice removed) pizza delivery guy (who heard it in 1983)

Since I don't think the AP will take place on the Internet, that leaves Sigil. Plus all that Blood War and elves fighting on different planes and gith stuff in MToF needs an adventure to play out in....

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
The first thought I have about the Gangs of New York angle was about the role of immigrants (knowing that gang battles could be referenced in any number of films). Assuming as many of us do that Waterdeep and Undermountain are involved, the thought occurred to me to think about the unsettled state of Returned Abeir as it withdraws — and especially the communities that have come to Faerun from that continent and now need to build a home. Could we be seeing gangs of Dragonborn (with delightful Daniel Day Lewis facial scales?) warring with the established underclass of Waterdeep as that struggle takes attention away from darker doings down below (and influencing things above — the DaVinci Code angle) that folks should be payin attention to?

hastur_nz

First Post
Didn't Chris Perkins say that Storm Kings Thunder was like "King Lear"? Well, I've been DMing that adventure for a long time now, and so far it has borne no resemblance to that Shakespeare play whatsoever; I think it has a couple of vague plot rip-offs in the last couple of chapters, but that's all.

Point being... don't read too much into WotC marketing fluff.

Personally I've been lucky enough to help play-test the adventure in question, and all I can say, if anything, is I hope they take at least some of my long-winded feedback on board!

I know The Da Vinci Code, and Gangs of New York, so I guess I can see what they are getting at, but just remember we're talking about a D&D adventure book here not a book nor a movie. The basic pattern they have been following is to riff on old D&D success tropes, and try and make something that's very flexible, so different DMs can make use of the pieces they like, put their own spin on them, and ignore the rest. Think Out of the Abys, then Curse of Strahd, Storm Kings Thunder, and the Chult one...

Remove ads