• d12

Votes: 59 56.2%
  • d20

Votes: 45 42.9%

• Poll closed .

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
d12 all the way! It's the DMs best friend. d20 is second for its all around goodness. :)

Oofta

Legend
D4 caltrops get my vote. A friend had these ... in metal.

d4 caltrops.jpg

aco175

Legend
I keep meaning to buy d4 that I can pick up. I saw some like d6, but with 2 rounded sides that I should get. Happy Father's Day to me!

I did vote d20 and d8 as the best. D20 has a whole system built around it and that is what you need to roll in order to be a murder-hobo. D8 is the good damage die and the classic longsword damage.

pogre

Legend
Way back in the mid-seventies when I started playing my cousin gave each of us a d10 and a d6 for our first campaign.

It covered all of the bases and I have a nostalgic fondness for those dice.

You can generate the ranges with other dice, but it is pretty simple with just those two dice.
1-100 - d10
1-20 - d10 + d6 (1-3 = 1-10 and 4-6 = 11-20)
1-12 - d6 + d10 (1-5 = 1-6 and 6-10 = 7- 12)
1-10
1-8 - as I recall used a d10 and disregarded 9 & 10
1-6
1-4 - roll d6 and ignore 5 & 6.

I didn't get a full set of dice until I bought the blue cover basic box a couple of years later.

Last edited:

Volund

Explorer
d20 - Rolled often, for a pass/fail result, and leading to elation or heartache on every roll. Watching them make one more tip that turns a 20 into a 2. The only die worthy of being placed in a dice jail. The only dice to have a rotation like starting pitchers, getting pulled for relief dice after failing once too often. You remember epic d20 rolls, like the time everyone was unconscious, but the monk rolled a 20 on his death save, stood up, and threw one last punch, planning to use his last ki point to disengage, and killed the boss who was about to devour everyone else. There are no epic d6 rolls.

d8 - good things are happening when you are rolling d8's. Sword and board damage, smites, superiority dice, booming blade, spirit guardians, shatter, my cheesy half-orc barbarian/rogue using strength to sneak attack with a rapier, and knowing you have more HP than wizards.

Shiroiken

Legend
I gotta say, [MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION], you are cracked. The d12 is BY FAR the worst die in the game! The only people who like it are barbarians and orcs :p

For all the love you have for the d20 (which I'll grant, does have a game system based on it), you seem to forget that it's almost as round as the d100. I've seen those suckers roll like a ball, never wanting to stop...

I want to love the d4. I really do, but I've stepped on far too many for that. In addition, I feel it's the easiest die to "roll" in a specific way to control the result, due to it's limited edges for bounce.

I gotta say that the d6, the old classic, is the superior die. Not only is is common enough that non-gamers understand it, but you can pick them up by the bucket-full. Not to mention that two of them create that magical 2d6 :cool:

Remove ads