• d12

Votes: 59 56.2%
  • d20

Votes: 45 42.9%

• Poll closed .

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I'm totally with you! d12 rocks and d6 is also quite nice!

...but...

I secretly love the d10.

You see, the d10 is the trickster of dice; the misfit; the troublemaker. He looks like a pythagorean solid, but he's not. He's the only die with a "0" on one side, making you scratch your head about how to read it. But most of all, we use a base-10 number system, and so you'd expect the d10 to fit right in, to play ball, but he totally doesn't. It's random! It has an expected value of 5.5! You see the number "4d10" written down and you think, "Oh, like, 40?" But no, it's 22! If you're lucky! It could be any crazy thing between 4 and 40! Want to try rolling d% or d100? Sure! But you gotta call out which one is the 10s digit ahead of time, and what if you forget? and what about that "0"? Now we have to interpret "00" because nothing in this life can be simple or straightforward when d10 is messing with you!

Trying to teleport into an occupied space? 1d10 force damage. It's right there, in all its 1-to-10 glory. But how much will you really get? And d10 can sneak up on you, like when you pick up a longsword and you thought you were going to have to roll a lousy d8 but then you grab it with both hands and, oh, hey, it's my buddy d10! Here to make up for that time a dragon bit me for 2d10 + 10 + 4d6 damage, yeah? See, becaus d10 is a trickster, he can be benevolent. Like when 5e came out and everybody thought the warlock was crap and then they realized that eldritch blast was totally super awesome because you can roll 1d10 + Charisma a whole bunch of times.

So I love the d10. He's been very good to me. And if you think d10 doesn't roll well or have any "heft," well, that's part of the trick. You see, d10 is also the only die that you can spin like a top, and that's just cool.

Shiroiken

Legend
Wait, so you're saying you've seen all my other posts, and you were like, "Hey, this Lowkey13 guy is the voice of reason and sanity."

But then you saw this post (this post!) and you were all like, "NOES! THIS IS TOO FAR!"

I'm not sure how to take that?
Actually you often seem the voice of reason and sanity, which is why your unnatural love of the d12 unnerves me. I fear you have been brainwashed by the Mind Flayer Consortium (tm), and that they are leading you down the path of insanity in an attempt to draw others with you. With the forum filled with gibbering idiots, the game would break down into chaos, preventing true heroes* from hunting them down and slaying them. Please, don't listen to that voice in your head urging you to pick up the d12; it is the voice of the enemy.

*who use greatswords or mauls

PS: let me know the next time you're starting up a game. I've got this great gnomish paladin idea...

Adamant

Explorer
I'm glad I get to choose 2, since my top 2 are pretty much even. In order of worst to best:

- D4: With only 4 sides, it feels very inconsistent, especially since it's most commonly used for magic missile. It also doesn't really roll.

- D6: Plain and boring, not much else to say.

- D8: Less boring than the D6. Close to D20 for me.

- D20: Likes to roll off the table, but otherwise a fun die with decent variation.

- D10: Truthfully, my favorite die is either the percentile version of the D10, or the D12. There are all sorts of possibilities with 100 outcomes.

- D12: Possibly tied with percentile, D12 is unlikely to go off the table, and any spells using it scale really well. Still has a decent number of outcomes compared to others. Did I mention it scales well?

guachi

Hero
Obviously d12 is top, d20 second.

If I could downvote then it would be the d10. It's not even a platonic solid! It's an interloper, a cheater, a crutch that we don't need.

Back when I was alive we had a die with 20 faces numbered 0 to 9, twice. It might be that one set of 0 to 9 had a little + sign, or it might be that one set was coloured and the other wasn't, but this little beauty could be read as a d20 (by adding 10 to the coloured/plussed set), a d10 (by just reading the number) or as a d100 (by either rolling it twice with the first roll being the tens column and the second as the units, or by rolling two of them having pre-designated one as the tens and the other as the units).

As a d10 or a d20, the 0 was read as 10. As percentile, 0 was read as zero, but double 0 was 100.

If that kind of d20 was still around it would overtake the d12. Just.

You can still buy that die in some places. I bought one that was identical to dice I bought 35 years ago. It was a Gamescience die and they are still in business making dice just like the ones they sold decades ago.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
I voted d20 because of d20. And d8... When I was a kid my brother came back from one of his friend's house with a d8 and gave it me saying something like "in there they play like videogames but with dice". That was my first real contact with roleplaying games. I kept with me that dice for many many years. Like 10 years without knowing anything about RPGs. My mother lost it in one of our movings :(
Years later my first dice set was red the same colour as the d8.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
I like the 20-sided d10s, for their increased symmetry and practicality. And, occasionally, for those times when someone borrows dice for the evening, and nobody questions why they're having such bad dice luck until they roll a natural 0 on an attack (true story).

8-sided d4s are a similarly practical solution to the caltrops of doom.

Remove ads