• Prone to Bribes

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Adaptability

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Acting

Votes: 0 0.0%

Sacrosanct

Legend
We often talk about different player preferences, and while there is some overlap into DMing, we don't really talk about DM preferences in the context of what do you feel are the best traits of good DMs. On the surface, you'd think it would be obvious, but because we all want different things as players, I suspect we'll have different opinions on what makes a good DM. So I propose a poll. I only have one choice, because I'd like to see what really stands out if you're forced to choose, and if I allowed multiple choices, it would be muddied because all of these are pretty important (well, maybe all but one ;)

What do I hope to get from this? As a long time DM, I have a notion of what I think the most important traits are, and I'm guessing there might be a few popular answers I didn't think of, and that will help me be a better DM myself by placing more focus on those. Also, apparently there are only two people on this forum who have more XP than me (Morrus and Gary Gygax himself), so I'm pimping myself out to catch Morrus. :D I'm kidding of course, I really am curious to see how people view good DM traits lol.

The poll options are:

Organization: Does the DM have the adventure memorized, papers in order, bookmarks, maps and minis organized, etc
Communication ability: Can the DM communicate the adventure well, and articulate his or her thoughts effectively. Can the DM listen well to different styles of the players themselves
Letting players from the story: Regardless of what the adventure says, is the DM willing to change all of that if the players want to do things differently. Do the players dictate more of what's going on in the game world. More of a shared story, as opposed to the players only controlling their own PC
Being a fair referee (objective): Regardless of anything else, is the DM fair and impartial, even if it means things might not go the way the players want.
Game knowledge: The DM knows all or most of the rules, how things work, and has intimate knowledge of the setting
Storytelling: Does the DM do a great job telling the story. More narrative than the above choice of players telling the story, and the story takes precedence over the dice rolls determining outcome
World Master/Creativity: The DM runs a really good living world, where NPCs and monsters act and behave like living creatures, often independent of whatever the PCs might have been doing. The world is there to explore, and the PCs have the responsibility to take care. I.e., the DM won't remove the clan of ogres living in the hills just because the level 1 PCs decided to venture up there.
Reliability: Does the DM always show up to sessions, and on time?
Player incorporation: Does the DM make an active effort to incorporate all players into the game equally? Whether it be doing things to allow every PC to shine, or actually engaging players themselves who might not be so forward to contribute because they don't have the stronger personalities of the group
Prone to bribes: Give the DM some food, good things will happen to your PC
Adaptability: Unplanned things happen. This DM is good at changing things on the fly and making the adventure continue smoothly
Acting: The DM brings life to the NPCs' personalities, and does a great job setting the atmosphere of the adventure

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I would add consistency as a good DM trait and that works on several levels, including the quality of prep, how the game is run, and how rulings are made.

Of your list, I think communication ability is the most important with reliability and adaptability being up there as well.

AriochQ

Adventurer
We just finished recording a podcast on this very thing! It won't be made available for about a month since it still has to go through post production and we have recorded some in advance since Gen Con is coming up. If anyone is interested, it is "The Grognards" under the LAG Radio Network. It can be found in all the usual places (soundcloud, iTunes, etc).

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
For me it begins and ends with Communication. If you can effectively hear people and talk to people, you not only learn about your players wants and needs, but you also learn about their characters wants and needs. And this allows you to work with them and for them to make the experience great. And any issues that come up and be worked out because there is open communication between you all.

And what's most important is that by being able to communicate, you can learn pretty quickly that what you can give as a DM may or may not be desired by the players you currently have. And this allows you to end games that aren't going to work out much earlier, and thus not waste everybody's time by continuing to play a bad game that everyone is afraid to say something about.

Last edited:

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Only 1 choice is nasty.

In my (highly limited) experience as a DM, I have found Adaptability to be quite high on the list for me. It kind of covers a few more, like when the players decide to do something different, the story changes and is as new now to you, as it is to them. That's just great. It helps promote an exciting tale.

It's all about the story for me but Letting the players tell the story and Storyline get covered in the ability to push the narrative forward in new and exciting ways.

I want to pick many but for this, but the ability to change things at any time is important to me. I'm think I'm going Adaptability.

ps. This will be an interesting read for me and will almost certainly make me a better DM from all your answers.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Given a single choice, I went with "world master / creative", I interpret it not necessarily about designing a fantasy setting as s whole but rather as coming up with interesting plots and situations, as well as a vibrant background.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Me no like only picking on when plural is used. Me sad.

On that note, I guess... I would say player incorporation. If the players are invested, and having fun. That is the most important of all. Even if your story is just to rescue Princess Apple from the evil Tortle King.

Remove ads