D&D General I think the choice of Species / Race / Ancestry has more to do with Story than Rules...

Very funny! I just played and elf for thr first time since 2000!
The character I'm playing in one of the 5E games I'm in is an elf pretty much solely because at the time, it was the only way to get a sensible stat bonus and had by far the best set of abilities to go with that, and I kind of really regret the choice. Not to the point of wanting to retire the character, but if I could go back and make them I dunno, almost anything else, I would.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The character I'm playing in one of the 5E games I'm in is an elf pretty much solely because at the time, it was the only way to get a sensible stat bonus and had by far the best set of abilities to go with that, and I kind of really regret the choice. Not to the point of wanting to retire the character, but if I could go back and make them I dunno, almost anything else, I would.
I think I've played 4 different elves since Xanathar's came out, and it's entirely the fault of Elven Accuracy. I don't even LIKE elves, but getting to roll 3d20's makes me all weak in the knees.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I personally prefer species to give mechanical benefits that help to reinforce their theme and flavor. In fact, I wish we had more species mechanics alongside species feats and even being able to pick and choose different features based on what class specialization your character chooses.

I love Dragonborns (White and Silvers for the win), and it would be frustrating to play a species who thematically is meant to be a powerful scaled warrior who can shoot out bouts of icy blasts from his mouth….only to not be able to do just that.

I love Dragonborns (White and Silvers for the win), and it would be frustrating to play a species who thematically is meant to be a powerful scaled warrior who can shoot out bouts of icy blasts from his mouth….only to not be able to do just that.
If I had to choose another kind of Dragonborn type to play as, it would have to be a Blue Dragonborn thanks to this guy:

8541d747af8320e237a4ec2efe063bf6.jpg

Are you going to try out the One D&D Dragonborn? I like most of what's being offered for this species in One D&D. The one feature I don't like, however, is their Spectral Wings feature at 5th level. They ought to have something like the Dragon Wings feature from the Draconic Sorcerer subclass.

Dragon Wings​

At 14th level, you gain the ability to sprout a pair of dragon wings from your back, gaining a flying speed equal to your current speed. You can create these wings as a bonus action on your turn. They last until you dismiss them as a bonus action on your turn.

You can't manifest your wings while wearing armor unless the armor is made to accommodate them, and clothing not made to accommodate your wings might be destroyed when you manifest them.

Have them get it at 5th level (or sooner ;) ) and tie it to their PB every time they want to use it.

I don't think you need specific mechanics to show how your elf fighter fights differently than does your dwarf fighter. In fact, D&D has never offered such mechanics. It has just offered a blunt differences like slightly different attributes or starting armour proficiencies. If you want your elf to fight gracefully and your dwarf like a blunt weapon, that's always come down to how you narrate your actions.
You could have species-specific attacks and so on, but then what about the player who doesn't see their elf that way? I think it is a strength to let the players add the flavour that they desire, instead of having the rules legislate their imagination.
Prestige classes allowed for mechanically different styles of fighting. There was at least one specifically for elves.

If you don't see your elf that way, then pick a different feat, prestige class, subclass, class, or magic item. There are lots of options. And, sure, you can describe it however you want without specific rules, as long as it is merely a description. "Legislate their imagination"- nice turn of phrase that. I would describe it more as "support their imagination", but that's me. If all that's wanted is a flavorful description, then sure, describe it however you want.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
IMO, your species should be, well probably not a second class but definitely a 'second subclass's' worth of features as you level up, including it's own set of feats. species in DnD has been reduced way too much as part of 'pick your class and species'

IMO, your species should be, well probably not a second class but definitely a 'second subclass's' worth of features as you level up, including it's own set of feats. species in DnD has been reduced way too much as part of 'pick your class and species'
Sort of like Pathfinder 2nd edition with it's ancestral feats, but better? ;)

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
This is why I like Level Up's origin system. It has a paragon feature based on heritage when you reach 10th.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
Are you going to try out the One D&D Dragonborn? I like most of what's being offered for this species in One D&D. The one feature I don't like, however, is their Spectral Wings feature at 5th level. They ought to have something like the Dragon Wings feature from the Draconic Sorcerer subclass.
I’m currently using the Fizban Dragonborns for my campaign, with some tweaks, such as giving the Chromatic Dragonborns a bite attack that they can add their elemental affinity to and adding an “Alter Self” style shape change feature the Metallic Dragonborns. I have considered adding the new Draconic Flight feature from the OneD&D playtest and giving the Gem Dragonborns a different Psionic feature. Not sure yet.

Regarding the topic of this thread, there are two actually two kinds of stories that are at play within an adventure. The first kind covers the entire party, from the time they come together to form the party to the time where their actions have saved the day. The second kind covers each member of the party via a possible backstory (if the GM asks for them during the character creation process). The backstory sort of starts out like a prequel in that it offers a glimpse of who the character was before they became an adventurer, but then they become a series of a plot elements that the GM can use in the main story. This is what happened with my role-playing group in our current adventure. Each player including myself had it where their character found themselves interacting with an NPC from their pre-adventuring days. We randomly received these NPC tie-ins, so regardless of what species of our characters were, they also helped out the main story.

Remove ads