D&D 5E Which is a good Domain for a new player's Cleric?

Gavin O.

First Post
I'm working on a new player's guide which includes a sample starter build for each class, designed to be simple and easy to play. Having never played a Cleric before outside of dipping one level to get Heavy Armor on my Wizard, I'm not sure which domain would be most suitable for this purpose. To be clear, I'm not looking for the most powerful domain, I'm looking for a domain with simple and easy to understand abilities. PHB options are preferred over XGTE or DMG ones.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Ease of Play: Knowledge, Nature (includes Heavy Armor), and Life.

None of these, I suggest, are the most fun to play. Combining ease with fun, I would suggest Light and War. They also are very clear that the Cleric is about more than just healing, which is important.

Light: Warding Flare is a good defensive reaction. Radiance of the Dawn fun and very intuitive. Plus, Fireball at level 5.

War: extra attack before the Fighter! Straightforward, powerful, and breaks the assumption that the cleric is all about healing.

(also in this category is Forge, from XGTE: gives heavy armor and gives the party a magic weapon out the gate.)

I would recommend the life and light domains. Both are easy to play -- simple max Wisdom focused builds. For 1st level spells, line up healing word, cure wounds, bless and guiding bolt and you can't go wrong. For cantrips I would recommend sacred flame, guidance and toll the dead (which is from Xanathar's Guide) An added bonus is they are two of the stronger domains. They are very different animals, though. Life Domain clerics are pure support and since they can wear heavy armor they are quite tanky pure support. Light Domain clerics straddle the line between support and blaster. I found light domain the most fun.

Last edited:

Remove ads