Character concepts you like...but probably won’t get to play.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Character concepts you like...but probably won’t get to play.

We all come up with PC concepts we like but- for a variety of reasons, will probably never get to play. This thread is so that you can put them out there for OTHERS to use. Just sketching out the concept is enough, no need to stat things out.

In a 3.5Ed campaign a few years ago, I played a human Cleric/Sorcerer/Geomancer called Brother Sycamore. At each opportunity to select a Geomancer Drift option, the most “planty” was chosen. Essentially, I played a D&D version of DC Comics’ Swamp Thing. That character inspired...

BIG OAK: a Paladin Sorcerer with Robert, his squirrel familiar. Use any plant-like base race or template. Something like a Warfoged would work, too, if you can get him some foliage. Big Oak is mostly based on the anime Big O, smiting those he deems not worthy. Robert is occasionally sent scouting, but usually perches on Big Oak’s shoulders or hides in his tunic. Big Oak favors spells that let him grow in size or strike from a distance.

Bonus: he occasionally dances while singing “I am Big Oak!”

Last edited:

Les Moore

Explorer
I am in the process of emulating a Druid, of old, in the 3.5 version. At level 8 or 9 he succeeded in charming a Howler Wasp queen,
and making a deal to suspend animate 100 adult Howler Wasps in a bag of holding, until needed, for an offensive against a
Mind Flayer. The original mission failed, and the original Druid got mind-fried in the process, but the concept is still on the table,
for me.
Generally I play a fighter, or rogue, or two-man team.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
3.5Ed Warforged Ftr/Sorcerer/Juggernaut. To be a Juggernaut requires the feats Power Attack and Improved Bull Rush, and Adamantine Body must be taken at first level.

On the Sorcerer side, selecting spells without somatic components would help with the ASF issue, but the main workaround would be in the taking of Draconic Heritge and one of the Sorcerer Draconic Breath weapon feats.

That’s 5 feats in all. Since 2 are Ftr bonus feats, you still have some wiggle room to customize the build. Reserve feats might work if the spell selections and leveling choices are right.

Interesting variants on this build would swap Paladin, Marshall, or one of the armored spellcaster classes for Fighter, as well as using the Battle Sorcerer variant class to open up the spellcasting potential, as well as increase the viability of the Draconic Breath or reserve feats.

Kaodi

Hero
I might find an appropriate PbP to try him, but right one of my leading character concepts is a PF dwarven transmuter nicknamed "Splinterfist" whose favourite spell is stone fist. I figure his introduction would be a note arriving by courier to the other players assembled at a tavern saying something, "It would please me to join your little endeavour but I must request you relocate to another [seedier] drinking establishment as I have been permanently banished by your current hosts due to some light [catastrophic] damage I caused to the furnishings during a gentlemanly [drunken] disagreement [bar fight]." I would stat him him Str, Con, and Int so that he can fight in melee, : ) .

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I might find an appropriate PbP to try him, but right one of my leading character concepts is a PF dwarven transmuter nicknamed "Splinterfist" whose favourite spell is stone fist. I figure his introduction would be a note arriving by courier to the other players assembled at a tavern saying something, "It would please me to join your little endeavour but I must request you relocate to another [seedier] drinking establishment as I have been permanently banished by your current hosts due to some light [catastrophic] damage I caused to the furnishings during a gentlemanly [drunken] disagreement [bar fight]." I would stat him him Str, Con, and Int so that he can fight in melee, : ) .

Sounds a little like a dwarven version of Marvel’s Iron Fist character...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Petrichor, a Druid/Sorcerer/Geomancer with some kind of earth elemental racial type, or possibly as a 4Ed shardmind druid. I like the idea just because I want people to look up “petrichor”. I would also have him gathering moss...

“Why?”

“Because I lichen.”

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For something like distopian sci-fi or modern/future horror a la Mayfair Games’ Underworld or darker takes on Shadowrun, RIFTS, D20 Modern, WoD games or Shadowrun: The Frag Four- the technologically or magically reanimated/immortalized forms of John, Paul, George and Ringo made into supersoldiers.

Kaodi

Hero
I have made a bunch of character outlines for PF2, and most of them will probably not ever see play. Zogbug the Ex-Minion, the goblin cleric of Pharasma who came from a tribe in the service of a necromancer that raised them as zombies after they died. Or Sunheart, the goblin paladin of Sarenrae who has the fire domain and uses a horsechopper with blade spirit. Or Sedni Soursail, the evil gnome piratess bard with a parrot familiar.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Warp Rider/Raider: a supers character who can warp spacetime. When he teleports anything (himself included), there is a visible line of Cherenkov radiation connecting the two points, along with noisy cavitation explosions at both the origin and terminal points. The explosions don’t affect the teleported object. The farther the distance, the brighter the glow and the bigger the boom.

Because his teleportation powers ARE destructive and highly audible & visible, WR cannot use them secretly, even for small objects. He also cannot use his power as his main mode of travel, for obvious reasons. As a result, he has had to round out his skillset, and he is constantly trying to figure out new ways of using his abilities...and see if he has any others.

For instance, he figured out he could teleport the volume of air in his empty hand to another spot, creating an effect similar to a flash-bang grenade. This has led him to believe if he can do the same thing continuously and on a MUCH smaller scale, he might be able to produce an “arc lamp” effect between his hands...or even between the thumb & finger of one hand. He’s not here yet, but that hasn’t stopped him from trying.

Last edited:

Remove ads