Super Simple Armor

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
From a purely mechanical perspective, how does this look?

ArmorArmor Class (AC)StrengthStealth
Light armor11 + Dex modifier--Disadvantage
Light armor, masterwork12 + Dex modifier----
Medium armor14 + Dex modifier (max 2)--Disadvantage
Medium armor, masterwork15 + Dex modifier (max 2)----
Heavy armor16Str 13Disadvantage
Heavy armor, masterwork18Str 15Disadvantage
Shield+2----

Seeking thoughts on numbers, balance, crunch, etc. Have I broken anything? Fixed anything?

:)

Design goal: Reduce the armor table to its most basic elements.

Last edited:

It sounds about right. If you used these rules, instead of the ones in the book, the game would not suffer significantly for it.

It does raise the question of why anyone would buy plate armor, if scale armor was just as effective and also cheaper (or easier to make), but I'm sure you have a reasonable answer for that.

Sounds good, since really, that's the kind of armor that peo0lengp for anyway. So i dont see the value of slightly poorer armors except as an interim.

You can then add fluff as you want, for example medium could be lamellar or chain shirt. Heavy could be scale or plate or whatever.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
Sounds good, since really, that's the kind of armor that peo0lengp for anyway. So i dont see the value of slightly poorer armors except as an interim.

You can then add fluff as you want, for example medium could be lamellar or chain shirt. Heavy could be scale or plate or whatever.
That's how I see it. Cost and weight can be the differentiators.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
It sounds about right. If you used these rules, instead of the ones in the book, the game would not suffer significantly for it.

It does raise the question of why anyone would buy plate armor, if scale armor was just as effective and also cheaper (or easier to make), but I'm sure you have a reasonable answer for that.
I feel like armor types are aesthetic choices more than anything. You wear scale because it's cultural or what have you. That's story stuff, not mechanics stuff (too me).

Smarmot

Explorer
I don't see the point. 5e armour is already pretty simple.

This will give heavy armour users annoyingly high armour class at first level.

The strength requirement for medium armour would strain medium armor classes, especially those that are not martial focussed.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Rogues will be a little sad about the light armor rule, they just lose a point of AC. Same for melee-oriented bards, I suppose.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases