D&D 5E Druid spells .... gone?

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Warp wood for the win! has long been a weird motto of mine. I too miss it and long for it to be back.

I feel less of a druid without it, but the land druid is still my favourite class.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I'd love to see a druid a bit more divorced from animal shapeshifting.

Plant shapeshifiting would be neat. Or more plant based abilities and no shapeshifting would be neat too.

Anakzar

First Post
I remember a druid ability to travel quickly by entering a tree and appearing out of the same type of tree elsewhere... 2nd ed I think. Sure were a different flavor of druid back then.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
The druid should either be a dedicated nature priest, wizard of the wood, or primal shapeshifter. Right now it's trying to be all of those and it just doesn't capture any of them perfectly as a result.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I've been really excited to play a druid in 5e. Especially circle. I know most people gush over moon druids but, from 3.5, druids had some of the coolest rp and utility spells.
They were even cooler (arguably less broken, no CoDzillas) in 1e! :)

Then I looked at their spells list:
-No warp wood
Warp wood was always a goofy spell - really /only/ good for 'getting creative' with. The on-label uses - springinig doors and ruining spears & arrows? Really?
-No shape wood
-Hallow is no longer a druid spell?
Newfangled stuff, anyway. ;)

-Control weather is now 8th instead of 7th.
At least you've got 8th & 9th level spells.

But, yeah, compared to 3.5, everything's dialed down a bit.

Most of these spell had very little combat utility but were very useful (although situational) for long campaigns. Stone shape, for example. They should have kept it as is but raised the level to 4th or, changed it to (almost useless) but kept it at 3rd. Am I the only one disappointed by this? Would you allow these spells back in your campaigns?
One thing to consider is that with 5e's neo-Vancian spellcasting system, situational spells are easier to bring to bear - you don't 'waste' slots/day in preparing them, and some can be used as rituals. That consideration may have made some of the odder corner-case-usage spells problematic to retain. (Though, really, I can't think why, specifically, either.)

The classes in 5E are (sadly) different in fluff than prior editions. The paladin is by far the most unrecognizable (any alignment, and no god required)

It's a little off-topic, but I have to disagree with this.

1) Gods weren't required in 3E or 4E, either.

2) While there's technically no alignment restriction, the requirements of the Oath of Devotion (which is the "standard" paladin of prior editions) comes pretty close to enforcing Lawful Good. I mean, at a stretch, you could play one as Lawful Neutral or Neutral Good, but LG is pretty clearly the only alignment that fully embraces every aspect of the Oath's requirements.

Maybe some of this stuff is not in 5E because they held it back to make some sort of Wood Druid subclass, where these missing things would be abilities rather than spells, but they have just not had the chance to release it yet.

Between warping wood, shaping wood, traveling between trees, animating and commanding trees (or other plant life), maybe even shapeshifting into a tree (think Treant) at high level, you could come up with a very interesting subclass for Druid.

I do like the idea of a subclass that includes shifting into a plant or plant creature, and I would love the warp/shape wood spells back. But everything else in that list is something druids can already do in 5E.

Remove ads