5e needs a Faiths and Avatars style book

ehenning

Explorer
Do you mean the FR Faiths and Pantheons book? Because SCAG already does that. And there's a PoD fan one on the Guild:
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/243212/Faiths-of-the-Forgotten-Realms

If in general, I'm uncertain what has not already been said.

Yup. Have all of them. For inspiration and background they are great. I think OP is looking for an official WotC book updated for 5e so they don’t have to come up with their own adaptation. Everyone plays a little different. All good.

gyor

Legend
This I could really get behind. Ways to ground a cleric into the setting so that she isn't just a wizard with healing spells. Being a cleric (or a druid) should have huge impacts on how that class is played. Yes, it's more limiting, but, at the same time, I'd rather that cleric players start with "I'M A CLERIC" rather than just another caster.

Finally a constructive post, and an excellent idea, some more depth into what it means to be divine spellcasters is useful, deeper spiritual mysteries and knowledge.

gyor

Legend
Yup. Have all of them. For inspiration and background they are great. I think OP is looking for an official WotC book updated for 5e so they don’t have to come up with their own adaptation. Everyone plays a little different. All good.

Not so I don't have to come up with my own, I'd enjoy that, it'd be a blast. No the function is have shared language and understanding for shared world functioning, my Fanon would ultimately be only of use to me.

Fanon is fine for your games, but Canon is the language of the shared worlds that allows for mutual understanding and boost immersion in the setting, which boosts suspension of disbelief.
But the canon already exists. Three or four times over. The lore isn’t what needs to be updated, just the mechanics. And a fan supplement works just as well for that.

ehenning

Explorer
But the canon already exists. Three or four times over. The lore isn’t what needs to be updated, just the mechanics. And a fan supplement works just as well for that.

True, but the mechanics can depend on what has happened since the previous editions. The lore may be there, but people want something new so embellishment (or at times complete retelling) can also work.

If you want to use previous edition lore for your campaign, of course that’s up to you. I do the same. Some people just want an official version from Mike, Chris and Jeremy for 5e. The joy of D&D is you don’t have to use it unless you want.

Remove ads