Graph Paper Romance: When D&D Characters Date

Do your D&D games ever contain romantic elements? I’m not talking about stereotypical antics involving trying to hook up with NPC barmaids or seduce a guard as a distraction. Realistic relationships are unlikely to develop that much in a one-shot, or in a style of play which de-emphasizes role play in favor of action. But in longer-running games with ample time for RP, I’m curious how often it actually becomes a plot element.

Do your D&D games ever contain romantic elements? I’m not talking about stereotypical antics involving trying to hook up with NPC barmaids or seduce a guard as a distraction. Realistic relationships are unlikely to develop that much in a one-shot, or in a style of play which de-emphasizes role play in favor of action. But in longer-running games with ample time for RP, I’m curious how often it actually becomes a plot element.

I’ve played in games with real-life couples whose characters were involved with each other from the start. That seems to be fairly common based on what I’ve heard from other people, and it makes sense. Player groups with a mix of genders and orientations may be more likely to introduce intra-party romance. And some players may feel uncomfortable dealing with in-game romance and prefer to avoid it entirely. However, it can add an interesting element to your game if the other player involved also is onboard with the idea.

Ask Before Proceeding
If you want to initiate a romance between your character and another player’s, don’t take it for granted that the other player is into it. You probably can gauge how your target will feel about it when you know that player well enough. If you’re friends, they may be fine with you introducing the notion within the game, and just roll with it.

For example, I am playing in a Curse of Strahd campaign with friends. Naturally, most of our characters are strangers thrown together by mysteriously misty circumstances. A few sessions in, my friend playing a non-binary half-elf sorcerer announced that her character definitely would flirt with my character. She knows me well enough to know it wouldn’t bother me, regardless of whether my character was interested. But my character was very okay with it, so it was that simple for our characters to start up a little romance. There’s little time for a slow burn in Barovia, so we just jumped in. Our DM was entertained enough by this to make us both roll DEX checks for makeout success once (I rolled a 19!), and their relationship became a minor aspect of the overall narrative.

However, some players might be very not-okay with a move like that. Amorous pursuits can be a sensitive subject, so I encourage you always to proceed with caution and respect (in D&D and life in general). Either way, it may be prudent to ask the other player outside the game if they are comfortable with the idea of your character showing interest in theirs. Some DMs also might appreciate you sharing your intentions with them. As a DM, I would love to know when a character in a sandbox game has a crush so I can pick up that thread, but that’s just my own preference.

PC and NPC, Sitting in a Tree
Striking up a romance with an NPC presents its own challenges. It’s one thing to have two PCs get involved, but starting a thing with an NPC potentially translates into one character having long interactions with the DM that could get tedious for other players over time. But if your group enjoys RP-heavy play where each character can have their own interests and side plots, it can be a great source of drama and/or comedy.

In another ongoing campaign with my friends, we all are playing young adults, and most of our characters don’t have much romantic experience, if any. It was fun when one character starting awkwardly flirting with a cute young elf cleric NPC we met. She wanted to ask her out, so the rest of our characters dropped everything else we were doing to help. We kinda derailed the session with what quickly turned into Archie Comics-style teen hijinx, but we had a blast. Making sure they had a successful coffee date instantly became a group project for the party.

Our characters just had been through a bunch of drama and near-death, so it was a perfect way for those kids to blow off some steam and put their energy into a positive project that didn’t involve killing anyone. We tapped the full comedic potential of having a minotaur monk, a goliath barbarian, an aasimar fighter, and a human rogue run around gathering intel about the cleric so our dragonborn paladin could have good small talk over coffee with her. They’re both rather shy and their romance is developing slowly, but it added a fun new dimension...and we got ourselves a friendly cleric who will help our party not die. Win-win!

There are so many ways in-game romance can turn out either well or horribly, for characters and players alike. Do you ever include romantic plots in your D&D campaigns? If so, did it add an enjoyable element to your story, or create any issues?

contributed by Annie Bulloch

AriochQ

Adventurer
We discussed something similar recently on our podcast "The Grognards". Instead we talked about how it can be very awkward when a DM and Player become romantically involved (or the romance ends). It is part of the "Too Taboo for Tabletop" episode.

Fandabidozi

Explorer
I find it weird that love and sex are so seldom depicted in D&D games. I mean, these are pretty common themes in literature, and pretty common occurrences in real life. I'll bet there's someone out there having sex right now this very instant!
That’d be me.

Packratt66

First Post
It has been a while since I played a D&D game which had romance more than finding the local brothel. But I have played a couple of other Tabletop RPGs that had some great romance that played well. The first was between 2 PCs, in an EXALTED game. My character was a young and nieve pre-Exalt girl when the story started and she both sacrificed herself and Exalted trying to keep a more experienced Exalt alive. That sacrifice turned into a long-term subplot romance and limited life-span. It also allowed me to give my character a good death, something that is sometimes all too lacking in RPGs. The other was a home brew WWII game where my character was a US GI in the Pacific Theater and the romance with an NPC began when he was stationed in Australia. It may have been a bit anachronistic how it started (the NPC teaching my character how to surf) but that moment became a focal point for the character helping inspire him in those moments where he did not think he’d survive.

The key, I think, was that neither time did the romance become explicit “on screen”, although there were just enough “tender moments” to show the depth of emotion and connection. It can be a very fine line to walk, especially if others become jealous. I would take the advice given about making sure the other player is ok with the romantic pursuit and open it up to making sure the rest of the group is ok with it. It can be fun, interesting and a wonderful way to drive the story. But it can also be a bore, tedious or worse if it’s not handled correctly or if others are not in to that kind of role play.

rmcoen

Adventurer
I played a girl "street rat" caught stealing by the church, and eventually converted to cleric. Street "wise" but still fairly naive, she was seduced by another PC during a carnival -- whilst said PC was using magic to change shape and gender! [I, player, had no idea the other character was actually another player or PC!] -- was even more comedic, because my PC had specialized in Perception, having been a lookout on the streets; a 17 skill (out of 20), and failed check after check to realize what was going on. GM rolled some dice, we all had a laugh afterwards, and moved on...
... until my cleric started getting sick, and Cure Disease wasn't working. Eventually figured out she was pregnant (thanks, "Netbook of Sex for D&D"). Ended up acquiring a ring of air elemental command so she could fly (back and feet constantly ached), gave birth while on a starjamming adventure to twins (who were promply adopted by the party's paladin). Many interesting interactions between the party, the babies, the absentee parent (a weretiger wizard who thought the whole thing was funny, and took no repsonsbility). My character eventually retired to The Rock with all her adventuring earnings, built a Temple, and raised the kids. The party would stop in every so often to check on them.

Another character, another campaign. I played a young human wizard from the city, while the GM's girlfriend played a *very* diminutive elf ranger. For prejudicial reasons, my character decided that the "helpless elf" needed protecting. He fell in love, she tolerated the cute "child" (he was 17, she was 80-something). He frequently put himself in harm's way to defend her [despite having like a quarter of her hit points], took her on dates in each city they came to, bought her presents, etc. Teenaged antics, at which the rest of the party laughed (quietly, behind their hands). The campaign ended when "adulting" kept interfering with gaming. Reesidd and Errynne were written into the sunset, heading into the wilderness, she having grown "fond enough of the silly boy to keep him company for a couple decades or until he invariably died".

In a campaign I *ran*, one of the players had a female "Paladin of Life", who would not kill living creatures, and took it upon herself to *produce* as much life as possible. she had two kids (with NPCs) during the lengthy campaign, and one with another PC (seduced him at the end of the campaign, then left without him knowing about the kid). Another PC, barmaid-turned-healer, married the aforementioned seduced PC, since he had acquired a title and a castle and was a big step up for her. In the campaign denouement, though, she ended up reforming and rebuilding The Church, and left him to spend time on that all-consuming project...

In the last 15 years, though... no party romances, with PCs or NPCs. One dragonborn avenger left the party after finding a settlement of dragonborns (he thought he was the last) to rejoin his race. One rogue/ranger spent every spare coin on "companionship" when returning from adventures. But everything was "offscreen"...

I'm DMing tomb of annihilation and the princess of the Aarakocra in Kir Sabal is lonely and she is looking into one of the adventurers as potential romantic partners. She is powerful, fiery, jealous, and accustomed to getting what she wants, but she is also loving, sweet, and extremely passionate. How should I DM this?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'm DMing tomb of annihilation and the princess of the Aarakocra in Kir Sabal is lonely and she is looking into one of the adventurers as potential romantic partners. She is powerful, fiery, jealous, and accustomed to getting what she wants, but she is also loving, sweet, and extremely passionate. How should I DM this?
First, she's an Aarakocra.

Is there anything remotely resembling an Aarakocra in the party? Or is said princess amenable to Human, Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, or whatever other sort of partner might be willing?

If yes to the second, one idea is that she could send some soldiers to arrest whoever's caught her interest; on some trumped-up charge. Then she visits the prisoner and explains the real reason for the "arrest".....

Remove ads

Remove ads