Graph Paper Romance: When D&D Characters Date

Do your D&D games ever contain romantic elements? I’m not talking about stereotypical antics involving trying to hook up with NPC barmaids or seduce a guard as a distraction. Realistic relationships are unlikely to develop that much in a one-shot, or in a style of play which de-emphasizes role play in favor of action. But in longer-running games with ample time for RP, I’m curious how often it actually becomes a plot element.

Do your D&D games ever contain romantic elements? I’m not talking about stereotypical antics involving trying to hook up with NPC barmaids or seduce a guard as a distraction. Realistic relationships are unlikely to develop that much in a one-shot, or in a style of play which de-emphasizes role play in favor of action. But in longer-running games with ample time for RP, I’m curious how often it actually becomes a plot element.

I’ve played in games with real-life couples whose characters were involved with each other from the start. That seems to be fairly common based on what I’ve heard from other people, and it makes sense. Player groups with a mix of genders and orientations may be more likely to introduce intra-party romance. And some players may feel uncomfortable dealing with in-game romance and prefer to avoid it entirely. However, it can add an interesting element to your game if the other player involved also is onboard with the idea.

Ask Before Proceeding
If you want to initiate a romance between your character and another player’s, don’t take it for granted that the other player is into it. You probably can gauge how your target will feel about it when you know that player well enough. If you’re friends, they may be fine with you introducing the notion within the game, and just roll with it.

For example, I am playing in a Curse of Strahd campaign with friends. Naturally, most of our characters are strangers thrown together by mysteriously misty circumstances. A few sessions in, my friend playing a non-binary half-elf sorcerer announced that her character definitely would flirt with my character. She knows me well enough to know it wouldn’t bother me, regardless of whether my character was interested. But my character was very okay with it, so it was that simple for our characters to start up a little romance. There’s little time for a slow burn in Barovia, so we just jumped in. Our DM was entertained enough by this to make us both roll DEX checks for makeout success once (I rolled a 19!), and their relationship became a minor aspect of the overall narrative.

However, some players might be very not-okay with a move like that. Amorous pursuits can be a sensitive subject, so I encourage you always to proceed with caution and respect (in D&D and life in general). Either way, it may be prudent to ask the other player outside the game if they are comfortable with the idea of your character showing interest in theirs. Some DMs also might appreciate you sharing your intentions with them. As a DM, I would love to know when a character in a sandbox game has a crush so I can pick up that thread, but that’s just my own preference.

PC and NPC, Sitting in a Tree
Striking up a romance with an NPC presents its own challenges. It’s one thing to have two PCs get involved, but starting a thing with an NPC potentially translates into one character having long interactions with the DM that could get tedious for other players over time. But if your group enjoys RP-heavy play where each character can have their own interests and side plots, it can be a great source of drama and/or comedy.

In another ongoing campaign with my friends, we all are playing young adults, and most of our characters don’t have much romantic experience, if any. It was fun when one character starting awkwardly flirting with a cute young elf cleric NPC we met. She wanted to ask her out, so the rest of our characters dropped everything else we were doing to help. We kinda derailed the session with what quickly turned into Archie Comics-style teen hijinx, but we had a blast. Making sure they had a successful coffee date instantly became a group project for the party.

Our characters just had been through a bunch of drama and near-death, so it was a perfect way for those kids to blow off some steam and put their energy into a positive project that didn’t involve killing anyone. We tapped the full comedic potential of having a minotaur monk, a goliath barbarian, an aasimar fighter, and a human rogue run around gathering intel about the cleric so our dragonborn paladin could have good small talk over coffee with her. They’re both rather shy and their romance is developing slowly, but it added a fun new dimension...and we got ourselves a friendly cleric who will help our party not die. Win-win!

There are so many ways in-game romance can turn out either well or horribly, for characters and players alike. Do you ever include romantic plots in your D&D campaigns? If so, did it add an enjoyable element to your story, or create any issues?

contributed by Annie Bulloch

CTurbo

Explorer
I know a guy who ALWAYS plays a pretty female character usually Human, Elf, or Half-Elf and it's kind of a running gag that everybody else's characters attempt to romance her lol

I have played in a few campaigns with my wife and we have never gone down the romance route in game. Probably due to playing generally incompatible species as my wife, who is 5' 1" and 105lbs in real life, likes to play big bad strong races like Goliath, Half-Orcs, and Dragonborn.

Funnily enough, a character of mine has dabbled in a little romance with my wife's sister's character which made for some really hilarious moments at the table. Every single other time, the sister's character hooked up with her husband's character which means that 100% of the time, her character is romantically involved in another character.

hastur_nz

First Post
No, I don't recall any of my players ever being interested in PC-on-PC romance or suchlike. I've only recently played aside, and also DM'd, a real-life couple, and they have also never wanted to create any kind of in-game links between their PC's, which is good because I suspect some of the players might find that awkward (we are all mid-life-ish, mostly men but have had a couple of women in the groups from time to time). Basically my players are all into different things, but none are heavy into role-play for its own sake, nor pretending to have relationships with each other and all the pretend drama that might come out of that... it's strictly for the NPC's!

The closest we've got was the odd "haha, you're playing a female so my character will make a few sexist type remarks to your character", basically guys joking around at people who, for whatever reason, decide to play the opposite gender. But we tend to have various comedic type players, so it's not a feature in and of itself, just part of the overall banter.

Definitely, lots of PC-NPC actions are romantic, sexual or whatever. I had a player who ended up marrying an NPC around the end of the campaign, she'd previously been picked up as a Follower (3.5 rules); but they guy was playing a woman, so it was probably an extension of the "Fantasy" element that some players get into; it wasn't a big feature, to be honest, but it didn't feel forced (he made it up as he went along).

As a DM, I'm often "guilty" of playing up sexual tension as much as I can via my NPCs, but it's really just another way of me yanking my players chains, so to speak, I like to provide interesting choices where I can, so it's just another tool in the toolset, so to speak.

In my current campaign, early on my female player took my "bait" and hooked up her half-elf Ranger with an elf NPC who had useful information and was a big flirt and they just happened to be having drinks then dinner... it was a great plot point later on when they were still "seeing each other", when I managed to get a scene where the players were rushing to Parliament, of which he was a member, and just before they got there, Parliament blew up! Basically an "ad-lib" scene that developed through play. Quite tragic (haha). A couple of months later, the player messaged me and said, "hey, what about if my PC is pregnant with his child?", so a few weeks later I managed to start the process of using that as another plot device...

hastur_nz

First Post
I have played in a few campaigns with my wife and we have never gone down the romance route in game. Probably due to playing generally incompatible species as my wife, who is 5' 1" and 105lbs in real life, likes to play big bad strong races like Goliath, Half-Orcs, and Dragonborn.

Funnily enough, a character of mine has dabbled in a little romance with my wife's sister's character which made for some really hilarious moments at the table. Every single other time, the sister's character hooked up with her husband's character which means that 100% of the time, her character is romantically involved in another character.

Great point re: different races, loads of my games also feature the classic Motley Crew of totally incompatible races who just happen to end up adventuring together.

I've also flirted "in game" with a female player's character, whose boyfriend wasn't playing at the time (but is now). It was part of our initial "hazing" that tends to happen whenever a new player joins. I think you have to be very careful that you are not acting out, or even seen to be acting out, a real-life Fantasy of yours. For example, I'm pretty sure I'd draw the line if she said yes, and NOT have my PC hook up with hers. I don't think my wife would enjoy that story...

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I find it weird that love and sex are so seldom depicted in D&D games. I mean, these are pretty common themes in literature, and pretty common occurrences in real life. I'll bet there's someone out there having sex right now this very instant!

My pet theory is that the escapist-fantasy nature of D&D encourages people to shy away from these topics. That is, for many players, romance is MUCH more frightening than deadly combat with fearsome monsters. It certainly hits closer to home -- most of use have been burned by our emotions a time or two, but relatively few players have ever actually tried to dodge a rusty goblin blade. So I think a lot of players would rather just relax and murderhobo and not have to stress about relationships.

Gehrigan

Explorer
One of my players in a 4E D&D game had his character, a 1/2 Orc Ranger, pursue the groups NPC Assassin ally. They hooked up and got pretty serious over 10 levels of the campaign. The Assassin became pregnant and the Ranger retired with her to become a combat trainer at the local Military Academy. so his child would have a father growing up unlike his childhood. Grik became a trustworthy NPC ally to his old comrades-in-arms.

My group prefers not to have PC's get romantically involved with other PC's, because that would get a bit awkward. But as a DM I do provide love interests for them, in service of the story. Love interests can be great for moments of levity in between the action and violence. They are also a tool for me as a DM to relay information and plot hooks to them. I also abuse the hell out of them to set traps for my players.

For example, I had an npc love interest who wanted to bury the bones of her deceased father (a ruthless pirate captain), after they were found in his pirate lair. The player agreed to help her with this genuine emotional task, and they buried the bones together. It did not occur to him that the bones had been in a location for all these years that was protected against scrying. Now that the bones were removed, anyone with a simple scrying spell could find them.

And so one of the most dangerous necromancers in the campaign was able to acquire the bones, and raise the dreaded pirate captain as an undead pirate captain. Muhahahaha!

Ricochet

Explorer
Used it a lot both as player and GM. Spouse suddenly having a kid that looks suspiciously like a certain villain, for instance. When that happened, played out, was proven the spouse had cheated on the PC, and the PC eventually forgave both villain and spouse and raised the kid as his own, that was quite the story arch, and brought a lot of new things for the character in question.

So yeah, romance can lead to lots of intense RP situations and provide characters with difficult choices, including classic dilemmas of saving their loved one or saving the nation - but you can't do both.

Jealousy, drama, romance, disappointment, elation... Lots of things in play when romance is used as a serious factor in a role-playing game, mirroring many of humans' greatest struggles and successes in real life!

One of the funniest romance plots I once added to my campaign, was one involving an npc crew-member of the players, who was romantically involved with another npc, the daughter of a wealthy local merchant, despite her father's disapproval. He then got himself into a duel to the death with a local nobleman, who was pursuing the same girl.

This then lead straight into several side plots where the players had to save his life. They had to find a fencing instructor for him, so he would have any chance at winning the duel. They tried reasoning with the nobleman, who turned out to be a gigantic pr*ck (I love adding hilariously unsympathetic villains). They tried talking to the girl's father, to get him to accept their npc crew-member for who he really is, and to see that the nobleman is a bad guy. They also had to find a judge for the duel, and find out the exact rules of a duel, to see if there was anyway to get their friend out of this pickle.

And of course the unpleasant nobleman also made an appearance in the main plot. It is great when you can intertwine these various plot lines into one fantastic ensemble.

I n my current campaign (homebrew) which started at the beginning of the year, one player is a Glamour Bard looking to make his fortune by becoming a Bard to the royal court. Another player is a Fighter (Eldritch Night) with a Noble background. When they meet the Bard saw this as an opportunity to get a foot in the door. The Noble being a fourth son decided this was a good way to upset his father and get him to be noticed.

What started as a tryst has now developed into a more romantic connection between the characters. Both players and both characters are male - the Bard's real life wife and daughter also play and they think it is hilarious.

It has been fun and has enabled some good plot twists with a few more to come.

Remove ads

Remove ads