Sci-fi fantasy RPG suggestions? Shadowrun?

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Good start, will take a look. The fantasy bit makes it rough to find something, but it's a necessary compromise for a very old gamer friend. Two of my players know of Shadowrun and would be eager for something like it, but none of us have ever played its system. I peeked at the starter set and got lost pretty quickly.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Next level down would be a mixed bag of modern fantasy, steampunk and other games that could be run as sci-fant

I can add the new Alternity to that list. I have the PDF, but I haven't gone over it in detail. The original had some support for magic (as "special effects"). I don't know if the new version has more support on that front.

Oh, and you raised another game that might apply - Spirit of the Century, which would cover old pulp sci-fantasy well enough. This would mean FATE Core would handle it too, but that's a toolbox system.

FATE games typically have a group-worldbuilding step that may (or may not, depending on your play-style) significantly decrease the need for published adventures.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hmmm...somehow, I forgot Torg. Plus, a Gamma World/AD&D fusion- especially using stuff from “S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks” would actually work pretty well.

But if I wasn’t going to use HERO to do something like this today, I’d probably look hardest at The Cyper System or WoD games. Umbran’s suggestion of Alternity would probably be good too- I haven’t seen the new version, but I hear good things.

I suppose what works best for YOU and YOURS depends largely on:

1) what system feels comfortable

2) what flavor of sci-fantasy fusion you’d want to run. A mash-up between things your group finds cool will start a positive feedback loop.

Those factors will do a lot towards getting player buy-in.

Best campaign I ever ran was a supers game set in the Space:1889 setting using HERO, with all kinds of things thrown in. Player buy-in was total. That campaign lasted years.

But when I tried essentially the same thing a 2 decades later using Mutants & Masterminds 2nd as the system engine, it was a complete flop. It crashed & burned in months, for a variety of reasons (including my own screw-ups).

Just because I think an Adam Strange/Flash Gordon type setting with some low-magic fantasy or sci-fant elements- “Jedis”, psionics, TK/PK, Clairvoyants, Illusionists, Shapechangers, Healers, etc., would cool doesn’t mean anyone else will.

Last edited:

Shadowrun is a lot like World of Darkness, in terms of mechanics. If any of your players have experience with that, then they should be able to pick things up pretty quickly.

Since both Rifts and Savage Worlds have come up, it's probably worth mentioning that Savage Rifts is an actual thing. By all accounts, the mechanics are much more player-friendly than the Palladium version, though you would still have the issue that nobody publishes adventures for it (as far as I know).

hawkeyefan

Legend
Star Wars. Plenty of gaming material. Plenty of lore to draw from. And if you don’t want to play in the Star Wars universe, reskin the elements into something else.

Starfinder is also a good recommendation, especially for gamers familiar with D&D.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’m British.

keep-calm-its-all-clear-257x300.png

Emerikol

Adventurer
I've now read all of Morrus' WOIN systems games. I think they lean toolbox but surely are complete enough to play as is. I think N.E.W. outshines the others but the others are solid. I love all the rules for generating worlds etc.. Good stuff. I bought GURPS books in the past for just that sort of system. WOIN's is the best in my opinion.

It all depends on how much of a campaign world builder you are. I am big time into that sort of thing. So I will hack the living daylights out of the "fluff" of WOIN without touching the core mechanic (except maybe dumping LUCK). I am already thinking of building a sci-fi setting. Now I admit I'm not doing fantasy as well but you could.

I also think the game would play pretty easily on something like roll20. Such options are not my first pick but I wouldn't rule it out.

How high fantasy a game does your guy who wants fantasy demand?

Remove ads