Looking for something new

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Back in the 1980s, Metagames/Steve Jackson Games released the very simple fantasy combat boardgames Melee & Wizard. Eventually, they expanded those games into the RPG, The Fantasy Trip: In the Labyrinth. It’s one of the earliest true rules-light RPGs ever- veteran players could create a fully started out PC in 5 minutes or less. Great for beer & pretzel gaming. But it went out of print.

Until 2019:

Tangentially, I’ve been told (but cannot verify) that Dark City Games essentially uses the TFT:ITL system to power at least some of their games.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Here's the gist:
  • Easy to Learn: No one wants a rule book coma! It would be great if it had some super consistency across the rules. 1/2 page cheat sheet would be ok.
  • Story-Focused: Epic moments, player agency, and plot twists galore!
  • Light on Rules: Dice are fun, spreadsheets are not!
  • No Maps Needed: Theatre of the mind for vivid storytelling!
  • GM Friendly: Easy prep for epic adventures!
Bonus Points:
  • Genre Mashup: Fantasy, Sci-Fi, or a wild mix?
  • Flexible Play: One-shots or sprawling campaigns!

As I often do when these kinds of threads come up, I’m going to recommend Spire: The City Must Fall.

It ticks pretty much every box you've listed. The core mechanics fit on one page, and are easy to explain and understand. The system allows for consequences of multiple types, so it’s not all just combat (though there can be plenty of that, if you like). This means things veer off in unexpected directions.

The setting takes many familiar fantasy elements, and presents them in a new way. So there’s a lot that’s familiar, but it becomes new. The main element is the relationship between drow and high elves. But there are also gnolls and humans and gutterkin (a kind of goblin/kobold catchall). There are certainly fantastic elements… deities and religions and magic and wizardry… but also more modern elements, too… guns and printing presses and elevators and the like.

Oh and a haunted train system that’s tapped into a tear in reality and runs through alternate dimensions and timelines.

The basic premise is that the PCs are drow revolutionaries in the mile high city of Spire. They once rules the city, but a couple hundred years ago, the high elves took over. Since then, they’ve subjugated the drow, forcing them to work a durance, and sending many if them off as conscripts to fight a war with the gnolls of Far Nujab.

The PCs are members of a clandestine organization whose goal is to subvert high elf rule however they can. Outright revolution is not likely, but small acts of insurrection, sabotage, and skullduggery are possible. This lends itself to either a short game or one shot that revolves around a single mission, or a more long form campaign of the same cell over time.

It’s an excellent game with a fantastic core book. Even better, there’s a quickstart you can download in PDF for free from the publisher’s (Rowan, Rook, and Decard) site. So you can check it out without cost, and decide if you like it enough to pick up the core book.

There are also three campaign frames that you can download for free from their site. These are “adventure module” type scenarios, though they’re more situations that can be exploited than they are adventures to play through. The game doesn’t really lend itself to high amounts of prep given the abilities that the PCs have to change things up.

Again, I think it hits all your criteria. It’s a fun game that allows for a lot of player creativity and proactivity. The setting is evocative and strange, but still relatable.

dulsi

Explorer
TinyD6 from Gallant Knight Games. Pickup Beach Patrol and Tiny Cthulhu. You are trying to cover up Old Ones plans at the beach. Baywatch + X-Files.

For light on rules @velkymx, I'd wholeheartedly recommend Summerland.
You can go post-apocalyptic, dystopian, horror, fantasy and even gothic (infusing some modern WoD).

My idea for the reason of the setting was an all out War of the Seasons between the fae as a number of Imbalanced fae caused a massive Unleashing (refer WoD: Dark Ages - Fae)

Ulfgeir

Hero
I would recommend The Troubleshooters. One rulebook with simple rules. a lot of the book is setting.
It might fail the map part though. It uses maps, but divides them into diffeent zones, instead of the tactical 5x5 feet squares or the hexes often used.

At the webpage, you have quickstart rules with 6 premade characters, and some adventures (The quickstart rules does not contain the rules for creating your own characters though).

Tangentially, I’ve been told (but cannot verify) that Dark City Games essentially uses the TFT:ITL system to power at least some of their games.
They do. Some (eg all the scifi adventures) are much more heavily modified than others, but the "house system" used in most of their RPGs is derived from TFT.
Back in the 1980s, Metagames/Steve Jackson Games released the very simple fantasy combat boardgames Melee & Wizard. Eventually, they expanded those games into the RPG, The Fantasy Trip: In the Labyrinth. It’s one of the earliest true rules-light RPGs ever- veteran players could create a fully started out PC in 5 minutes or less. Great for beer & pretzel gaming. But it went out of print.
Steve Jackson wrote the games for Metagaming, but (unlike The Space Gamer, which he took over at issue 27 when he left the company) never actually published them until recently. They went out of print when Metagaming went under, largely because Howard Thompson (Metagaming's owner) wanted a small fortune from Steve to turn over the rights at the time. If it wasn't for that deal falling through, GURPS might never have existed (or at least might have been a very different animal) with SJG pursuing an expanded TFT range instead.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
They do. Some (eg all the scifi adventures) are much more heavily modified than others, but the "house system" used in most of their RPGs is derived from TFT.
Thanks for confirming that.
Steve Jackson wrote the games for Metagaming, but (unlike The Space Gamer, which he took over at issue 27 when he left the company) never actually published them until recently. They went out of print when Metagaming went under, largely because Howard Thompson (Metagaming's owner) wanted a small fortune from Steve to turn over the rights at the time. If it wasn't for that deal falling through, GURPS might never have existed (or at least might have been a very different animal) with SJG pursuing an expanded TFT range instead.
I knew SJ was the #1 designer- it’s obvious from reading credits on the boxes- but I hadn’t heard about the behind the scenes stuff. Thanks for the history lesson!

Remove ads