Sanctuary plus Spirit Guardians?

Satyrn

First Post
So how would you rule on this one?

If the Cleric is serenely walking around, and surrounding her are these "spirits" wreaking havoc, how is that different (from the monsters' point of view) from her walking around while her PC companions wreak havoc?

I'd rule it breaks the sanctuary. It feels very much to me like the cleric is controlling the spirit guardians, since he had to cast the spell, and could choose to end the offensive assault at any time (by dropping concentration).

He has full and absolute control over the existence of spirit guardians, whereas he has no such dominion over his fellow party members, and that seems to be a huge difference.

Satyrn

First Post
oh, I didn't answer one part of your excellent questions. How that is different from the monster's perspective doesn't come into my consideration, but my answer to the question is, it depends on the monster.

To a stupid goblin it would be no different, while an ancient dragon would recognize the spirit guardians as an extension of the cleric . . . and the cleric's fellow party members as food. That's why I wouldn't consider the monster's perspective in deciding how to rule.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Is it any different if you are standing still, and a creature walks into your spirit guardian area?

How about if you have fire shield active and someone attacks you?

Satyrn

First Post
Fire shield, I'd rule sanctuary stands

Is it any different if you are standing still, and a creature walks into your spirit guardian area?

I'd give my players this, and have sanctuary stand - but have sanctuary drop if the cleric didn't do something to stop spirit guardians from damaging the target next round (either by moving away or dispelling the guardians).

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
If you order a creature you summoned to attack and then afterwards cast Sanctuary, does it break it when the creature attacks?

If you order a paid mercenary to attack and then cast Sanctuary?

If you order a party member completely not under your control to attack and then cast sanctuary?

Satyrn

First Post
This is fun!

If you order a creature you summoned to attack and then afterwards cast Sanctuary, does it break it when the creature attacks?

If you order a paid mercenary to attack and then cast Sanctuary?

If you order a party member completely not under your control to attack and then cast sanctuary?

No. Unless you cast sanctuary on the summoned creature, then clearly yes.

No. Which is lucky, because the mercenary mutinies ("I ain't gonna fight for some coward who's afraid to take a hit!") but then fails his save against sanctuary.

No. But you take 5d6 electricity damage because you're shocked that your fellow party member actually obeyed your order.

Last edited:

G

Guest 6801328

No. But you take 5d6 electricity damage because you're shocked that your fellow party member actually obeyed your order.

Unless you are playing a Warlord, in which case it's a class ability.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon

How about if you have fire shield active and someone attacks you?

I think to me that would be the edge case. If you are just there and monsters come to you to attack you - well it's their fault. However if you walk to *them* with the field up - that would break sanctuary.

IMO, sanctuary gets it's power from your peaceful intentions and non-violent commitment. I would never allow it to "stack" or endure if you are also responsible for aggressive or violence.

So no, fireshield negates sanctuary. Spirit Guardians negate sanctuary.

With sanctuary you are relying upon the power of pacifism to protect you. With fireshield or spirit guardians you are relying upon the power of aggression to protect you.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Would you end sanctuary then if the caster insults and nonmagically goads an opponent?

If you would, would you require a save if a character tried to verbally goad a creature protected by sanctuary?

Remove ads