Revised Ranger update

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You still try to wriggle out of having an opinion of your own.

Just stating (over and over) how great everything is because WotC says so, is entirely useless, so you telling us what you yourself think would be a definite improvement.

I'm not sure what is unclear about this, so my apologies: that is my opinion. I think the Beastmaster is fine, but that is immaterial to the topic of "is WotC making good decisions with their approach, such as with moving away from the revised Ranger?" And in my opinion, they are making good, customer focused decisions. This is different from your opinion, but that doesn't mean it isn't really my opinion.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
In my opinion, they don't get enough flak for this waiting game.

Folks, waiting means doing nothing, giving us nothing. There's nothing positive about it. It mostly means WotC can keep staff costs down.

People tend not to throw flak when they are happy with the direction of things.

Chaosmancer

Legend
We're going in circles here. We already went over, in this thread, the series of spells that help you gain animal friends. There are plenty of them. For example off the top of my head from the Ranger spell list: Animal Friendship, Beast Bond, Speak With Animals, Animal Messenger, Beast Sense. If your Beastmaster Ranger is not interacting with a lot of animals, then that's their right of course, but it sure isn't much in line with the entire theme of that class and many abilities and spells they're given.

See above. Plus horses, familiars, guard dogs, etc..

So, I already mentioned familiars aren't beasts 99% of the time (1% is GM Fiat for bonding with mundane beasts). They are Fey, Fiend of Celestial spirits from the spell explicitly, and abberations, dragons, ect from most of the MM optional rules. So why you included them with the list of Guard Dogs and Horses I won't understand.

Also, horses, other that someone really trying to a cavalry build, how often do the mundane horses the party buys to travel with involved in the combats you run? For me, pretty much never because they aren't a signifigant factor and they would clutter the field. Also, never seen a player buy a guard dog, pretty much ever.

And, I'm just going to go down those spells you listed, real quick.

Beast Sense - Allows you to see through the beast's eyes. Says nothing about the beast sticking around after the spell, and does not create a beast, so you already need a beast around to even use this spell. Why is that important? Because you said "the fighting style is useful with all beasts the party has with them" and I said "The party having beasts follow them around isn't all that common" Replying with, "here is a spell people use when they have beasts following them around" doesn't actually answer the initial question.

Animal Messenger - Turns an animal into a carrier pigeon. Actually, this one specifies the beast only returns if the message fails to deliver (and then only to where you cast it so if you've since left, tough luck), so you lose whichever beast you used to cast this spell. Luckily you can take any beast that happens to be nearby, but this doesn't add a beast to the party roster in any way.

Speak With Animals - Does what is says on the box. Let's you talk to animals. Now, this could be used to increase your chances of getting an animal to join the party for an adventure. But, that requires effort to be put forth by the caster. Generally though, this spell is used to gather information, allowing you to know what the animals have seen or know.

Animal Friendship - Let's the beast no you mean it no harm, and charms it for 24 hrs. See, one thing that is a minor pet peeve of mine is the charm effect, because it is really limited compared to what a lot of my players think it should do. Charm gives you advantage on social checks and prevents the charmed target from attacking you. So you have advantage for 24 hours on convincing the beast to follow you, and it won't attack you, but that doesn't mean it will fight for you or that it will follow you into an obviously dangerous area like an undead infested tomb or a dangerous creatures lair. You aren't mind controlling it after all, just really persuasive.

Beast Bond - Telepathic link that allows you to speak with a beast that is friendly or charmed. Also gives it advantage on attacks on enemies adjacent to you. Hadn't read this one in Xanathar's yet, but exactly like Beast Sense, this requires a beast to already be present in the game to have any effect.

So, from your list of spells to gain animal friends... 3 of the five require you to already have an animal friend and do nothing to help you get an animal friend. Two of them make you more likely to convince an animal to be your friend.

Now, I'm not saying a ranger can't go out every day, charm a badger or a squirrel or a hawk, make some Animal Handling checks, get it's undying loyalty to follow him around and fight for him, and command an entire menagerie of beasts. Sure, that could happen. I'm saying it pretty much never does happen. You might get two animals following the party around, not counting the horses the party rides. And, a large percentage of the time, let's say 85% those animals are not fit for combat, nor will the player want them involved in combat. So, your fighting style which allows you to command a beast as a bonus action and take damage for that beast if you are nearby, isn't exactly getting a lot of usage unless a player specifically wants a combat beast and therefore they likely took the beastmaster subclass.

So, your fighting style is, like I said before, really only useful for a beastmaster, unless you've got a party that has a large number of wild animals following them around for some strange reason. Because getting beasts in the party composition is A) difficult by RAW and B) kind of pointless by mid-levels since most of them are incredibly weak and the party can do all the same things with their other abilities that they could have done by spending weeks of game time training a beast.

You're missing my point then. I was not speaking to the "disposable man at arms" topic. I was speaking to the "guy who swings his sword every round" topic. The Champion Fighter is pretty similar to an old school fighter class in that respect.

Well, that is a style of play that is more common. I wasn't saying "Beastmaster is old school" I was saying that if the idea was a disposable wave of bodies that is a play style that hasn't been well received in the community for a very long time.

If you want to throw up other random comparisons that have nothing to do with what we are talking about, be my guest, but don't expect it to change anyone's minds on the topic at hand.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
So, I already mentioned familiars aren't beasts 99% of the time (1% is GM Fiat for bonding with mundane beasts). They are Fey, Fiend of Celestial spirits from the spell explicitly, and abberations, dragons, ect from most of the MM optional rules. So why you included them with the list of Guard Dogs and Horses I won't understand.

Also, horses, other that someone really trying to a cavalry build, how often do the mundane horses the party buys to travel with involved in the combats you run? For me, pretty much never because they aren't a signifigant factor and they would clutter the field. Also, never seen a player buy a guard dog, pretty much ever.

And, I'm just going to go down those spells you listed, real quick.

Beast Sense - Allows you to see through the beast's eyes. Says nothing about the beast sticking around after the spell, and does not create a beast, so you already need a beast around to even use this spell. Why is that important? Because you said "the fighting style is useful with all beasts the party has with them" and I said "The party having beasts follow them around isn't all that common" Replying with, "here is a spell people use when they have beasts following them around" doesn't actually answer the initial question.

Animal Messenger - Turns an animal into a carrier pigeon. Actually, this one specifies the beast only returns if the message fails to deliver (and then only to where you cast it so if you've since left, tough luck), so you lose whichever beast you used to cast this spell. Luckily you can take any beast that happens to be nearby, but this doesn't add a beast to the party roster in any way.

Speak With Animals - Does what is says on the box. Let's you talk to animals. Now, this could be used to increase your chances of getting an animal to join the party for an adventure. But, that requires effort to be put forth by the caster. Generally though, this spell is used to gather information, allowing you to know what the animals have seen or know.

Animal Friendship - Let's the beast no you mean it no harm, and charms it for 24 hrs. See, one thing that is a minor pet peeve of mine is the charm effect, because it is really limited compared to what a lot of my players think it should do. Charm gives you advantage on social checks and prevents the charmed target from attacking you. So you have advantage for 24 hours on convincing the beast to follow you, and it won't attack you, but that doesn't mean it will fight for you or that it will follow you into an obviously dangerous area like an undead infested tomb or a dangerous creatures lair. You aren't mind controlling it after all, just really persuasive.

Beast Bond - Telepathic link that allows you to speak with a beast that is friendly or charmed. Also gives it advantage on attacks on enemies adjacent to you. Hadn't read this one in Xanathar's yet, but exactly like Beast Sense, this requires a beast to already be present in the game to have any effect.

So, from your list of spells to gain animal friends... 3 of the five require you to already have an animal friend and do nothing to help you get an animal friend. Two of them make you more likely to convince an animal to be your friend.

Now, I'm not saying a ranger can't go out every day, charm a badger or a squirrel or a hawk, make some Animal Handling checks, get it's undying loyalty to follow him around and fight for him, and command an entire menagerie of beasts. Sure, that could happen. I'm saying it pretty much never does happen. You might get two animals following the party around, not counting the horses the party rides. And, a large percentage of the time, let's say 85% those animals are not fit for combat, nor will the player want them involved in combat. So, your fighting style which allows you to command a beast as a bonus action and take damage for that beast if you are nearby, isn't exactly getting a lot of usage unless a player specifically wants a combat beast and therefore they likely took the beastmaster subclass.

So, your fighting style is, like I said before, really only useful for a beastmaster, unless you've got a party that has a large number of wild animals following them around for some strange reason. Because getting beasts in the party composition is A) difficult by RAW and B) kind of pointless by mid-levels since most of them are incredibly weak and the party can do all the same things with their other abilities that they could have done by spending weeks of game time training a beast.

Well, that is a style of play that is more common. I wasn't saying "Beastmaster is old school" I was saying that if the idea was a disposable wave of bodies that is a play style that hasn't been well received in the community for a very long time.

If you want to throw up other random comparisons that have nothing to do with what we are talking about, be my guest, but don't expect it to change anyone's minds on the topic at hand.

I've changed several people's minds already in this very thread. The one you mostly have not read. It's OK if I don't change your mind.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In my opinion, they don't get enough flak for this waiting game.

I think you and they simply operate on different timescales. It seems like this is a big issue for *your* enjoyment, so you feel a lot of pain over it. I'm not sure all that many others feel this pain as acutely as you - and that means the sense of urgency you feel may not be a major concern to them.

Folks, waiting means doing nothing, giving us nothing. There's nothing positive about it.

There's not much negative about it, either. Waiting does not make things worse. However, waiting may help them avoid the negatives that come with moving too fast, or reacting to a vocal minority who don't represent the bulk of their customers.

It mostly means WotC can keep staff costs down.

Yes, well, it isn't like the D&D department is a non-profit. Yes, they want to keep costs down. That's not a surprise, or a notable critique. That's a general precept of business - keep a large enough bunch of customers satisfied while keeping costs down.

Hussar

Legend
You still try to wriggle out of having an opinion of your own.

Just stating (over and over) how great everything is because WotC says so, is entirely useless, so you telling us what you yourself think would be a definite improvement.

Ok.

The revised hunter and beast master are both fine. They play well and I found no problems with them.

If the beast dying is such an issue why not just give it death saved? Poof. Problem solved and 100% RAW to boot.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I've changed several people's minds already in this very thread. The one you mostly have not read. It's OK if I don't change your mind.

Wow, thanks for implying I have not read this thread, considering I was giving (to the best of my ability) constructive criticism of potential spells a few pages ago for OB1 and I have yet to attack anyone unlike other people on this thread. Look, if you are going to attack people out of the blue, could you at least be more original about it? The "I bet you didn't even read it" argument is way too overdone and impossible to prove one way or the other.

I apologize for the sarcasm, but I seriously don't understand why you had to twist my point about the old style of conveyor belt meat grinders being a fairly fringe style at best these days into a discussion on Champion Fighter's simple combat style. It'd be as nonsensical as bringing up the advances in Cleric and support playstyles with the addition of bonus/minor action abilities. True, but completely irrelevant to the discussion.

You want to defend you fighting style design and the assumptions you are making about party composition? Do it. But, if you need to do better than just listing spells that have beast or animal in the name and do nothing to mechanically support your point if you are going to convince me. Don't expect you can attack me and try to deflect the conversation, while not responding to the criticism I supplied, like I'm not going to notice. That just makes it look like you've got no rebuttal.

Ok.

The revised hunter and beast master are both fine. They play well and I found no problems with them.

If the beast dying is such an issue why not just give it death saved? Poof. Problem solved and 100% RAW to boot.

Not sure we can say "problem solved" but yeah, that definitely helps a lot to prevent the companion's death. If they are dropping every fight though, not finally dying isn't actually solving the real issue.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Wow, thanks for implying I have not read this thread

I didn't imply it I said it. And it was accurate, as we were discussing topics which had already been discussed in the thread earlier, and you were asking for a list that had already been listed and discussed earlier. Why are you trying to imply or say you had read it? I was not attacking you, I was making an accurate observation that we were re-treading old ground.

I apologize for the sarcasm, but I seriously don't understand why you had to twist my point about the old style of conveyor belt meat grinders being a fairly fringe style at best these days into a discussion on Champion Fighter's simple combat style. It'd be as nonsensical as bringing up the advances in Cleric and support playstyles with the addition of bonus/minor action abilities. True, but completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Because you're not addressing my point. My point was there were several old school elements in this game already which many people were comfortable with, such as the Champions call-back to 1e fighters. I believe there are people who also are comfortable with the old school style of treating animal companions as disposable as well. Others in this thread have related they are fine with that style too. That's why I mentioned the Champion though - purely as yet another old school element that was well received by some. It's as relevant as any other old school element - which is the topic YOU raised, not me.

You want to defend you fighting style design and the assumptions you are making about party composition? Do it. But, if you need to do better than just listing spells that have beast or animal in the name and do nothing to mechanically support your point if you are going to convince me.

I did. You're late to the conversation and apparently loath to go back and look at what was written about it and demanding I make the argument a second time? If it's something that interests you then spend the time to read the thread, but stop demanding that everyone has to revolve around where you are at this moment in the thread. But right now I am not inclined to respond to even further details of your critique since you don't appear to be wanting a discussion in good faith.

Hussar

Legend
/snip

Not sure we can say "problem solved" but yeah, that definitely helps a lot to prevent the companion's death. If they are dropping every fight though, not finally dying isn't actually solving the real issue.

If they are dropping every fight, then there's something very wrong beyond the mechanics of the revised beast master. The revised BM's companion, at low levels, has probably pretty close to the HP of a PC and even at higher levels, isn't that far off. Unless the DM is being a total dick and directing every single attack at the companion every single fight, the companion shouldn't be dropping below zero any more than pretty much any other PC.

Chaosmancer

Legend
@Hussar, your quote is at the bottom. Sorry for the long read, but I prefer multi-quoting to making multiple posts.

I didn't imply it I said it. And it was accurate, as we were discussing topics which had already been discussed in the thread earlier, and you were asking for a list that had already been listed and discussed earlier. Why are you trying to imply or say you had read it? I was not attacking you, I was making an accurate observation that we were re-treading old ground.

I never asked for a list. I stated that there are very few spells that actually allow you to add beasts to your party, because most spells that summon actually create fey. You decided to list a bunch of spells to prove me wrong, the majority of which did not add a beast to the party.

Now, I'll grant, I've been in this thread for over a week and it stretches nearly 400 posts, we might have talked about how conjure animals creates fey before and I might have forgotten. I don't have a steel-trap mind to remember an entire piecemeal conversation over multiple days. But I'm pretty sure we didn't discuss that, and your list was mostly variously utility spells you can use with beasts, which we may have discussed under a completely different context.

And you know, sometimes people talk about things more than once, when there are multiple angles to consider something from. However, just because we revisit a point, or someone doesn't remember something from days ago, doesn't mean they are not reading the thread. That is an insulting leap in logic to make.

Because you're not addressing my point. My point was there were several old school elements in this game already which many people were comfortable with, such as the Champions call-back to 1e fighters. I believe there are people who also are comfortable with the old school style of treating animal companions as disposable as well. Others in this thread have related they are fine with that style too. That's why I mentioned the Champion though - purely as yet another old school element that was well received by some. It's as relevant as any other old school element - which is the topic YOU raised, not me.

Okay, see now I can see your logic, but you never stated that. You just equated Champions to what I was talking about with no context.

Now that I have an actual point to this, yeah, some people are fine with disposable beasts. And some people like older styles of play, but it isn't a majority in most cases. For example, running the Tomb of Horrors as it was originally intended is considered bad form by some people, especially if the party is unaware of what they are getting into, because it is full of "Gotcha" traps that are anti-thetical to most people's style in this day and age. This is important when considering whether or not the designers intended this effect, because intending the major "pet-class" to be played in a style that is seen as unpopular and unfun for some of the biggest proponents of pet-classes, would seem to be an almost comically bad mistake. It would be as though they designed sub-system for quicker combats and utilized THACO, it almost defeats the very purpose of the game element you are designing, especially since it has been out of favor for so long.

And, I would argue that the Champions "I swing my sword" style of combat isn't necessarily old school in the same way that those out-dated styles are. Many modern games use similarly simple combat options, though with different dice usually, so it has never "gone out of style" so to speak, to 'swing my sword' or 'shoot my gun' over and over again in combat.

That is a major difference to my eyes, between a style that was created with the original game but still utilized, and a style that has been mostly abandoned by the player base.

I did. You're late to the conversation and apparently loath to go back and look at what was written about it and demanding I make the argument a second time? If it's something that interests you then spend the time to read the thread, but stop demanding that everyone has to revolve around where you are at this moment in the thread. But right now I am not inclined to respond to even further details of your critique since you don't appear to be wanting a discussion in good faith.

Okay, I'll go digging back through some few hundred posts.

So, assuming you didn't talk about your fighting style before posting the rules for it, I finally found your first post on it in post #207 (by my counter which I think is different for everyone) on August 13th. Where you said

I just realized in addition to adding new spells to help the beastmaster (though I was wrong earlier in suggesting a cantrip - they get no cantrips), you could also add a Fighting Style. Something like "Companion Fighting: Any time you are fighting the same foe as your animal companion, you can use a bonus action to grant your companion an attack action; when you are adjacent to either your animal companion or a foe when that foe attacks your animal companion, you may use your reaction to cause the foe to strike at you instead, and if the attack hits, you have resistance to the damage from that attack."

Now, I never responded to this, it was cbwjm who responded asking the question which I later reiterated, involving the issue of gaining the Fighting Style before the sub-class. You responded with

Yes, they'd get it before the subclass. If there are issues with the earlier levels, you could just as easily change it from "animal companion" to "allied creature of the beast sub-type". That would allow some additional flexibility with animals you're helping, animal friends you've purchased or made through a skill check or spell, perhaps even of aid for a Paladin's mount or a Cavaliers, and maybe some familiars?

And, again, I never responded to this. It happened right before OB1 started posting their spells and asking for my feedback, and I guess I figured cbwjm would respond. Now, you would occasionally mention "spells and fighting styles" as a soltution to the beastmaster, but none of those got into specifics. The next specific time you mention your Fighting Style is in Post #336 on the 21st when you were responding to my assertion that spells and fighting styles aren't a good solution, partially because Fighting Styles don't cover enough mechanical space to "fix" the Beastmaster.

Your response here
The fighting style I had proposed above included several elements. 1) Instead of using an attack action of yours to direct the beast to attack, you can use a bonus action, and 2) If an opponent you are adjacent to strikes your companion, you can re-direct that attack to yourself instead, and if it hits, you have resistance to the damage from that attack. I'd say that covers a fair bit of ground.

So, just to keep the timeline straight (hey, you asked me to go back and revisit it) I got involved with talking about your fighting style 129 posts and eight days after you first brought it up (during those 8 days, it was essentially never talked about)

And actually, I'm glad you had me go back and look at these posts, because it seems you edited the fighting style without letting anyone know, since "Any time you are fighting the same foe as your animal companion, you can use a bonus action to grant your companion an attack action" is fairly substantially different from "Instead of using an attack action of yours to direct the beast to attack, you can use a bonus action"

In you original fighting style it seems the Ranger and the Companion would need to targeting the same enemy to get the bonus action attack. That is a pretty signifigant restriction, especially if the Ranger is a melee fighter who may be unable to reach the same enemies as their companion. I prefer the second version if I had to choose between the two, obviously.

Now, you did mention way back when about expanding it to all beasts with the party in your reply to cbwjm. But I never got in on that discussion, and it never went further than you stating it. So, yesterday, when I began to question how often a party may get beasts, especially since almost no spells actually cause beasts to join the party, it was the first time anyone had asked that.

You should hopefully remember that part of the conversation though, so I won't recap.

Yeah, I'm glad you convinced me to go back over the thread and see that not only were you rude in your accusations towards me, you were dead wrong about this being ground we had already covered. Sure, you mentioned your fighting style ten days ago, but no one actually did any work with seeing how it would fare, or how your proposed addition of "all the beasts with the party" would pan out.

So, unless there are some posts you deleted in this thread, I think I am fully caught up and would like to return to the conversation, instead of this smoke and mirrors crap of baseless accusations.

Just to gather all my thoughts on your fighting style in one place, it would be a weird fix. You would gain the ability to command beasts at second level using your bonus action, for any beast (because the Urchin has a pet mouse I suppose). I am curious if it allows you a bonus action for one friendly beast or if that bonus action could cause a cascade of attacks, I'd assume it is only a single, but you haven't rewritten it to include the "any allied beast" language. Then, you get your subclass and become a "Beastmaster" able to command a single beast only with your action... Which is signifigantly worse than the ability you already have at second level. This of course would just highlight the problem with the Beastmaster's currently written version

We also still have the situation of how few beasts are actually involved with the standard party, and how many of those beasts the players would even want to involve in the combat, because the fewer that number, the less useful your fighting style becomes until it is simply a rewrite to the Beastmaster that costs the beastmaster their additional point of AC or their +2 accuracy with bows, both of which are a significant resource loss since this is really a better version of the Beastmaster's lv 3 ability and can be seen as "neccesary" to take.

Also, we can still discuss those spells if you would like, since you have still refused to respond to my critique of your list of spells which add beasts to the party, by RAW.

If they are dropping every fight, then there's something very wrong beyond the mechanics of the revised beast master. The revised BM's companion, at low levels, has probably pretty close to the HP of a PC and even at higher levels, isn't that far off. Unless the DM is being a total dick and directing every single attack at the companion every single fight, the companion shouldn't be dropping below zero any more than pretty much any other PC.

I agree. I thought you were referring to death saves as a fix for the PHB Beastmaster. Still similar AC, but they tend to have less HP depending on the beast (Revised Ranger relies more on the Beasts Con and HD, so it fluctuates more). By 5th level 20 hp is very little and I could see them dropping often if they are in the thick of it. Worse if there are AOE save for half attacks going off.

Remove ads