Revised Ranger update

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I don't have anything to consider, a lot of people have experiences I don't want to experience because of reasons

What reasons would apply here where you've come to a judgement about something without trying it out first, your judgement seems to run counter to the judgement of those who have tried it, and it's something fun in a game so not some undesirable experience? I am genuinely curious what "reasons" means in these circumstance?

someone enjoying the ranger class is not a good reason for me to try it

It is though. That's pretty much the primary reason to try most new things in life - other people like it and encourage you to try it before deciding what to think about it. It's not like people are offering you an addictive drug here (I mean beyond the addictive nature of D&D itself).

when I have my own reasons of why I don't like it and the experience is not an argument about balance, some people have played it and also find the class unbalanced and with problems.

Who? Who has played it and found issues with balance? I have not seen that comment yet. Some people want it to do a bit more or less, but I have not seen anyone mention an issue with it being unbalanced.

collin

Explorer
I have been reading through some of the posts here and am amazed this conversation still seems highly discussed and debated. And in some cases, highly emotional.

In addition to players comparing ranger 5e to older versions they are used to versus new players who have no previous playing bias, there seems to be further disagreement on what is real (or true or official or canon) versus home-brew or unofficial. WotC could step in and create some official change, but they have already offered up options for free in UA. At this point, I tend to think any changes they would make would create as much dissatisfaction as the current version, i.e., it's a trap fraught with debate and complaints no matter what they do (or don't do). So after already offering up free alternatives, what would be their incentive to make an "official" change to the class? None, as far as I can see. They can wait until they come out with DnD 5.5e or 6th edition if they want to make changes, for which they will then reap $$ for doing so.

I personally have never felt like every single rule has to be from the tablets on the mountaintop. I think WotC fully realizes and expects that players will change some of the rules to suit their particular group or game. Rules are not necessarily made to be broken, but since this is an RPG and not international law, I don't think anyone's feathers are going to get ruffled if some players want to make some tweaks or changes to some RPG rules.

I am of the opinion the ranger class is not all that broken; it just needs a tweak. My one suggestion for players who still think the ranger class (I am not talking class sub-types here - that's a whole other discussion) itself is broken? Give the Ranger "Hunter's Mark" as a free spell (or ability) at 3rd or 4th level, like Horizon Walker gets Protection from Evil and Good for free at 3rd level.

If you don't like that, fine: make your own rules. If you don't like what WotC puts out, let your money do the talking and don't buy their stuff. I don't see it as any more complicated or frustrating than that.

Last edited:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
At this point, I tend to think any changes they would make would create as much dissatisfaction as the current version

Pretty sure no-one would be less happy if they gave the Animal Companion some god damn hit dice, rather than just hit points. Of course, then they'd have to allow animal companions that might be stronger than a Wizard with 10 Constitution...

D

dco

What reasons would apply here where you've come to a judgement about something without trying it out first, your judgement seems to run counter to the judgement of those who have tried it, and it's something fun in a game so not some undesirable experience? I am genuinely curious what "reasons" means in these circumstance?

It is though. That's pretty much the primary reason to try most new things in life - other people like it and encourage you to try it before deciding what to think about it. It's not like people are offering you an addictive drug here (I mean beyond the addictive nature of D&D itself).
Not sure why do you insist or what is so difficult to grasp, I find it unbalanced because of reasons and I don't like the class as it is, don't need and don't want to try it because I'm not a masochist, I play for fun.

Who? Who has played it and found issues with balance? I have not seen that comment yet. Some people want it to do a bit more or less, but I have not seen anyone mention an issue with it being unbalanced.
You can search this forum, use google, meet more people or read the revised ranger UA specially the first paragraphs.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Not sure why do you insist or what is so difficult to grasp, I find it unbalanced because of reasons and I don't like the class as it is, don't need and don't want to try it because I'm not a masochist, I play for fun.

You can search this forum, use google, meet more people or read the revised ranger UA specially the first paragraphs.

I have, and I find nobody saying anything about the Hunter Ranger being unbalanced. You made a claim, I've tried to back up your own claim and found nothing, so where are you seeing this? If it's all over this forum and Google and the UA (which it's not in that UA by the way - I just checked and it says nothing even vaguely like that as all it talks about is unpopularity and the weakness of some powers, not an unbalanced nature of the class or that subclass in particular) then it should be pretty easy go link to ... but it's not. WHO says the Hunter Ranger is unbalanced?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I really don’t know what’s so complicated about this. At the start of 5e, most of the players were veterans to D&D and brought in expectations and habits from previous versions of the game. Those perceptions led to an initial misunderstanding of how the class would work in play and resulted in low satisfaction reporting in polls.

At this point, most people playing 5e never played another version, and without that bias find the Ranger class to be satisfying. Additionally, those who have played previously have been able to adjust their play style to the new system. Thus the change in polling results. It wasn’t the class, it was the players.

Given the evidence that tens of thousands of people are able to play a Beastmaster Ranger successfully, I can only conclude that [MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION] lacks the skill necessary to do so, and wishes WotC to produce an easier version of the class more in line with his abilities.

This exactly: things have evolved in the past four years.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Given the evidence that tens of thousands of people are able to play a Beastmaster Ranger successfully, I can only conclude that [MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION] lacks the skill necessary to do so, and wishes WotC to produce an easier version of the class more in line with his abilities.

If a player were to ask me how they actually play in the game I would say:

Hunter is straightforward
Beastmaster requires creativity and its strengths are circumstantial

For reference I also advise new players that Rogues' strength is circumstantial as well. I have found that new players have difficulty with the Rogue as they aren't used to the open ended nature of tabletop RPGs.

Stalker0

Legend
One point that has come and gone that I thought I would bring up.

The very Revised Ranger UA article mentions that the ranger's "ranking as D&D's weakest class by a significant margin".

Now I wouldn't say the ranger isn't flavorful and fun to play. But by the article's own admission, the class is much weaker than other classes.

Eric V

Hero
One point that has come and gone that I thought I would bring up.

The very Revised Ranger UA article mentions that the ranger's "ranking as D&D's weakest class by a significant margin".

Now I wouldn't say the ranger isn't flavorful and fun to play. But by the article's own admission, the class is much weaker than other classes.

But since people play it, there's no reason to address this, really.

I get it: there's no money involved in tweaking the class, and the game itself doesn't really care about balance so much, so why bother?

I would have just liked to see that original effort completed, is all.

Chaosmancer

Legend
There. Any questions?

Yeah, can you please cool the rage a bit man?

Look, I get the frustration and anger, but you've pretty much just tossed around insults for the last two weeks. You obviously aren't helping the case, and it is getting to be a bit much.

First of all, unnecessary jab man.

Secondly, do you actually have evidence of "Tens of Thousands" of players who are playing the PHB Beastmaster with no houserules what so ever, and that they are completely satisfied?

All I've heard from WoTC is that people are satisfied with "The Ranger" and that is a completely different statement, considering there are so many different versions of the Ranger officially and unofficially.

- Any class can be as good as a ranger tracking outside their favored terrain and a favored enemy, some classes are better if you choose to improve the proficiency with survival and other skills, or use spells like enhance ability.
- You can sense that some creatures are within 1-6 miles using your spell slots. I think this is a bad class feature, specially if I compare it to class features as sense evil.
- Hide in plain sight, 1 min of camouflage for a good bonus to hide in front of a solid surface, at lvl 10 this for me is another bad class feature. If the class didn't have spells it would have a purpose, but it has spells, not going to point what other classes can do at this level to be more stealthy.
- Vanish... Not sure what is this for, when someone hides on our games normally it has time to do it. You can not be tracked, but you could use pass without trace since 9 levels.
- Foe slayer, at last you get a damage or attack bonus beyond lvl 3, you only need level 20 for the +5 once per round.

Don't disagree with any of these (part of the reason I like the Revised Ranger is they altered quite of few of those class features you listed) but, considering you are quoting my statement on melee rangers, none of this has to do with melee rangers. This is just generally ranger problems. Again, don't really disagree with a lot of what you are saying, just looking for context.

For melee:
- Whirlwind attack is horrible because it is situational and it's always better to concentrate attacks, it also doesn't work with two weapon fightning, welcome to another trap.
Your real damage bonuses at lvl 3:
- Giant killer, if the campaign is long you must advice the player about the level 15 options, it's also extremely situational, large+ creature that fails an attack against you.
- Horde breaker, an extra attack, good, but only when the enemies are adjacent, situational and being melee sometimes you'll need to reach the position and that can mean OAs.
- Colossus slayer, the best one, you concentrate damage, better when you have another attack, but only 1d8 per turn.

At level 11 the rest of melee classes look better, at level 12 the warlock using pact of the blade looks better.
The spell that can give the ranger more damage is Hunter's mark and it needs concentration, as you are melee you are going to be hit easily and constitution is not one of your good saving throws. It also needs bonus actions, bad for two weapon melee.

I agree whirlwind is highly situational, there are cases when being able to hit more than 3 enemies is going to be better than focusing fire on a single enemy, but they aren't going to come up often.

I agree, Giant Killer kind of sucks, though I hadn't noticed it competed with Stand Against the Tide. I will say, it is more of a choice than you make it out to be factors like is the large creature that missed you hitting harder than you do and/or is there an adjacent enemy you would rather hit instead of the one attacking you, would skew the choice between the two. But, I'd almost be tempted to rewrite Giant Killer and remove the size requirement, if I didn't know retaliation abilities were generally very high level abilities.

I actually used to dislike horde breaker as well, but I've seen it come up an awful lot. And since my tables tend to use flanking rules it is not uncommon for a melee type to be adjacent to two separate enemies. It can also mean that a Ranger in the right position can make 4 attacks by level 5, which is incredibly good. It isn't going to activate every turn, but that doesn't mean it is bad per se, and when it does activate, it usually means you are needing the extra attacks to help even the odds.

Saying "only 1d8 a turn" is a little disingenuous I think for Colossus Slayer. It essentially turns one of your attacks into a crit per turn (assuming you are using a d8 weapon) and if you actually crit you get to do x4 dice of damage. And it is a level three ability, so wouldn't expect it to be super-ultra powerful.

Hunter's Mark being concentration does mean it is going to be under threat while you are in melee, but until you get really high level, most enemies aren't going to hit for more than 20 damage in melee at a time. So, most of your saves are going to be DC 10, and you can take Warcaster to get advantage or resilience to buff those saves if you are worried about them (actually, resilience Con isn't a bad choice period) so you can counteract that weak point. Not playing nice with dual-wielding is a problem, but depending on how fast you are killing your targets, it might not matter much. Losing every other off-hand attack, but getting a d6 on two main hand attacks isn't a massive dip in DPR I'd imagine.

Depending on Builds and Situations, a level 11 fighter may not be better than the ranger. Battlemaster going nova, or Paladin doing the same are incredibly high damages, but a Champion, Eldritch Knight, or Barbarians who don't use GWM are going to be about the same I'd imagine. Blade Pact warlocks look better NOW, because they've just gotten a massive number of buffs, but they didn't used to look so good even at level 12. Plus, they've got the same concentration issues.

Overall, I can agree the Melee Ranger isn't as good as the Archer Ranger by high levels (whirlwind attack sucks) but I've seen plenty of them in action, and they are devastating before level 11 and that is a large portion of the game. Plus, most of your comments and concerns have little to do with the melee ranger, because they could be said about either ranger

Remove ads