D&D 5E Anyone else finding character advancement pretty dull?

Is 5e character advancement boring?

• Yes, extremely dull!

Votes: 19 10.3%
  • It's fine but not more than that

Votes: 74 40.2%
  • No, I love 5e character advancement

Votes: 82 44.6%
  • Something else

Votes: 9 4.9%

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
On a side note, this is twice now in the past few weeks when I've seen 3e and 4e fans being referred to as grognards, and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. I get how it might fit a technical definition, but it's like hearing people say they are old school because back in their day they didn't have an AUX or IPOD port in their car stereo, but only a CD player, when my generation had an AM radio. Tape deck if you had a really nice car. :D That's how I feel to hear a 4e player called a grognard when I still use my 1e stuff

Grognards need levels now. Or titles maybe.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I admitted how it's technically accurate. Just that I have a hard time getting my head around it. I guess it would be like going into a music store (do they even exist anymore?) and finding Katy Perry in the oldies section.

They started playing Green Day on our local "Classic Rock" station, which really made me feel old. And I figure I'm on the younger side of the spectrum as far as this board goes.

Satyrn

First Post
I'm finding ways to make it interesting, but only by working outside the RAW. Whenever I run monsters as written, they are just bags of hit points that are dreadfully boring.

I've found the key to running monsters is to work outside the RAW, too. It's definitely more exciting to me when I focus on what a monster actually does than what mechanics it uses, and so I regularly have monsters do things that aren't addressed by the stat block.

Satyrn

First Post
I admitted how it's technically accurate. Just that I have a hard time getting my head around it. I guess it would be like going into a music store (do they even exist anymore?) and finding Katy Perry in the oldies section.

Getting old is rough, made worse by the fact that you don't feel old.

In hindsight, I'm ashamed I ever thought of Zeppelin as Oldies rock back when I was a teenager in the 90s.

Satyrn

First Post
They started playing Green Day on our local "Classic Rock" station, which really made me feel old. And I figure I'm on the younger side of the spectrum as far as this board goes.

I was spared that horror, since my Classic Rock station also played the current music back when Green Day was current.

Welcome to the Jungle of Grognards.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

Personally, I'd prefer expanding the definition of Classic Rock to include Green Day and other punk-influenced bands to 80s Metal Hair bands like Poison and Motley Crue. But then I also generally feel that too many radio stations split too many hairs when it comes to defining their genre and preferred market (Clear Channel, sorry, I-Heart-Radio I'm looking at you).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
A quick check of urban dictionary:

'Cuz, as we know, Urban Dictionary is known for it's quality and accuracy?

And, did you also note that the definition you quoted was from 2009? Which implies the term was already in use *before* 2009. Which really means it is the term used by 3e players for players of 2e and earlier - making it a term for people who played in the 1980s.

But, who needs context when using words, anyway?

Oofta

Legend
'Cuz, as we know, Urban Dictionary is known for it's quality and accuracy?

And, did you also note that the definition you quoted was from 2009? Which implies the term was already in use *before* 2009. Which really means it is the term used by 3e players for players of 2e and earlier - making it a term for people who played in the 1980s.

But, who needs context when using words, anyway?

All it means is that you prefer a previous edition. My impression is that several people on this thread seem to prefer the complexity (or at least the option for the complexity) of previous versions.

It doesn't matter when the entry was created if it still fits. What's your point?

Remove ads