D&D 5E Anyone else finding character advancement pretty dull?

Is 5e character advancement boring?

• Yes, extremely dull!

Votes: 19 10.3%
  • It's fine but not more than that

Votes: 74 40.2%
  • No, I love 5e character advancement

Votes: 82 44.6%
  • Something else

Votes: 9 4.9%

delericho

Legend
I don't agree. If anything, WotC's business model for 5E has been to ask for feedback every step of the way. They did an open playtest, they are releasing free content (UA), they take polls after each UA article, heck, they are even now offering "beta" content on DMS Guild (the new Eberron Guide) to see how it is received and make updates based on the feedback.

So to say we shouldn't discuss WotC's release schedule is ludicrous.

I'm afraid you're putting words into my mouth, and as a consequence misinterpreting what I said.

I didn't say that people shouldn't discuss WotC's release schedule - firstly because I have no interest in policing what people should or should not say, but also because I have discussed that very topic in the past (and expect I will again).

Nor did I claim that feedback wouldn't have any bearing on what they do.

What I did say is that there's no point in discussing the release schedule on here. Because while it's true that agitating on Twitter and the like may have an effect, and while feedback in their various surveys probably will, discussion on ENWorld will not have any appreciable effect on that schedule.

Again: if the discussion is fun in its own right, it's worth having. But if you expect it to be anything other than just empty words, I fear you're going to be disappointed.

GlassJaw

Hero
Based on this poll, only about 13% of the people on this thread agree with you that it's a problem. WOTC isn't going to change their business model for that percentage of players when a significant percentage of those people won't ever be satisfied.

Feel free to complain all you want, but most people think this version is good or at least good enough. There is no such thing as a perfect game.

What part of my post was complaining? I was stating that I don't agree people shouldn't continue to speak up about things they want to see in the game. That's it. I love 5E. I will continue to play 5E. I will continue to spend money on 5E. I also want more crunch in 5E. Those things are mutually exclusive.

My "complaint" is when people in the forum tell others their feedback isn't valid or they shouldn't speak up because WotC has it all figured out or their style of play is badwrongfun. Those things aren't ok, and it has been happening more frequently in here.

JC's recent Twitter post about the revised ranger got dangerously close to that as well, and again, that response is in direct opposition to everything WotC has tried to do with 5E up to this point.

Imaro

Legend
What really frustrated me is the recent Twitter response about the Revised Ranger. I'd be ok if WotC's explanation was something like "we evaluated the feedback and felt that while some players have concerns with the Ranger, there wasn't enough to warrant a lot of our bandwidth at this time to continue the Revised Ranger project." But instead it was a slap in the face and completely contrary to WotC's stance on soliciting feedback up to this point. It was essentially saying "if you think the Ranger needs to be revised, you are wrong. Too bad grognards."

Is this the same tweet featured in the thread on the revised ranger? Because if so... this doesn't seem like an accurate representation of what the tweet actually said.

Sacrosanct

Legend
My "complaint" is when people in the forum tell others their feedback isn't valid or they shouldn't speak up because WotC has it all figured out or their style of play is badwrongfun. Those things aren't ok, and it has been happening more frequently in here.

Great news! No one has actually said another person's playstyle is badwrong. People have said that a person's playstyle is an outlier or in the minority. I'm sure you can see who those things are completely different, especially in the context of how a company should approach their product line when sales and profit figures are important.

Sacrosanct

Legend
On a side note, this is twice now in the past few weeks when I've seen 3e and 4e fans being referred to as grognards, and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. I get how it might fit a technical definition, but it's like hearing people say they are old school because back in their day they didn't have an AUX or IPOD port in their car stereo, but only a CD player, when my generation had an AM radio. Tape deck if you had a really nice car. :D That's how I feel to hear a 4e player called a grognard when I still use my 1e stuff

Oofta

Legend
What part of my post was complaining? I was stating that I don't agree people shouldn't continue to speak up about things they want to see in the game. That's it. I love 5E. I will continue to play 5E. I will continue to spend money on 5E. I also want more crunch in 5E. Those things are mutually exclusive.

JC's recent Twitter post about the revised ranger got dangerously close to that as well, and again, that response is in direct opposition to everything WotC has tried to do with 5E up to this point.

Feel free to post. Just like I'll feel free to point out that its' pointless and that I agree with the 80% plus that thinks things are okay. I don't have a problem with the ranger. The beastmaster is kind of weak but that can be easily fixed in my home campaign. If I'm playing in AL, there are plenty of other ranger options.

I just don't see the point of these posts ... I doubt anybody at WOTC pays much attention to this forum. They are never going to release errata that makes major changes to existing classes.

Oofta

Legend
On a side note, this is twice now in the past few weeks when I've seen 3e and 4e fans being referred to as grognards, and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. I get how it might fit a technical definition, but it's like hearing people say they are old school because back in their day they didn't have an AUX or IPOD port in their car stereo, but only a CD player, when my generation had an AM radio. Tape deck if you had a really nice car. :D That's how I feel to hear a 4e player called a grognard when I still use my 1e stuff

A quick check of urban dictionary:

Grognard
In D&D, a person who prefers an older edition to the newer one.​

So it seems pretty accurate. Now if it's being used or interpreted as an insult that may be a different issue. There's nothing wrong with liking previous editions. Or sushi. Even if (in the US) it is just raw fish wrapped in a weed with horse radish died green and mislabeled wasabi.

Sacrosanct

Legend
A quick check of urban dictionary:

Grognard
In D&D, a person who prefers an older edition to the newer one.​

So it seems pretty accurate. Now if it's being used or interpreted as an insult that may be a different issue. There's nothing wrong with liking previous editions. Or sushi. Even if (in the US) it is just raw fish wrapped in a weed with horse radish died green and mislabeled wasabi.

I admitted how it's technically accurate. Just that I have a hard time getting my head around it. I guess it would be like going into a music store (do they even exist anymore?) and finding Katy Perry in the oldies section.

Oofta

Legend
I admitted how it's technically accurate. Just that I have a hard time getting my head around it. I guess it would be like going into a music store (do they even exist anymore?) and finding Katy Perry in the oldies section.

Ah, I see said the blind man. On the other hand your average high school student wasn't born yet when 3.0 was released. It's been a decade since 4E was released. Time flies.

Remove ads