D&D (2024) Out with the old, in with the new?

How much older 5e material will you keep in your game?

• Hard reset. Once I get the new books, all that’s gone before is gone.

Votes: 13 9.6%
  • Soft reset. I’ll keep a few things, at least until new books offer replacements.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Pick and choose. Much will be carried forward, but some might be excluded.

Votes: 50 37.0%
  • Everything is in. Let a thousand flowers bloom.

Votes: 20 14.8%
  • No 2024 for me. I’m sticking with the books I have.

Votes: 26 19.3%

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Nobody seemed to mention that the new PHB will be out months before the new MM and how that affects the changeover one has at their table. I plan on picking up the new PHB and looking at it and might have players wanting to try out some things, which is cool and overall the path I would think I want. The problem is that the new DMG and new MM may affect how things play with the new classes in the way of magic items and monster power. If I start new PCs using the old rest of everything- is this going to screw up things later when I get the other books and now find problems with play.

I would think that maybe things would be better if I just waited to the 51st anniversary and got all the new books at once. I do not really see this happening though.
We've already been using the new style Monsters mixed with old Monsters for years. Class and Monster balance in modern D&D simply aren't this tight, and we know the same CR system is in place.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This is the part that worries me. Do I need to worry about monkeying around with monsters to take into account the new power creep for PCs. I can do it and do modify the monsters and NPC all the time, but do I get into the habit of doing it before the new rules come out? I kind of want to see the rules and then play with the 'standard' rules before I say they suck and change them.
Shouldn't be any more or less of a problem than it is currently?

Clint_L

Hero
Of those planning on implementing the new books at all, very few are planning on implementing full backwards compatibility (11/67).
That's NOT how I interpret those results, or what I intended when I selected "pick and choose."

I pick and choose off the current rules, and they are obviously fully "backwards compatible." "Pick and choose" means "pick and choose."

Clint_L

Hero
I guess that's an interesting viewpoint- the ".5" is tradition, and not all tradition holds use.

Would it be fair to call it "revised?"
I guess part of the issue is that originally called the whole thing "OneD&D," the "final evolutionary state of D&D." Something in that vein.
Actually the complete opposite of that. What they stated, and you can look it up, is that the game would continue to evolve gradually, rather than being reset through dramatic edition changes.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Actually the complete opposite of that. What they stated, and you can look it up, is that the game would continue to evolve gradually, rather than being reset through dramatic edition changes.
Actually not the complete opposite of that- they said that this is the final state of D&D, that they're happy with the 5th edition ruleset. That the game would continue to evolve on this final state- although I don't call entirely new sets of core rulebooks "gradual" change.

Oofta

Legend
Nobody seemed to mention that the new PHB will be out months before the new MM and how that affects the changeover one has at their table. I plan on picking up the new PHB and looking at it and might have players wanting to try out some things, which is cool and overall the path I would think I want. The problem is that the new DMG and new MM may affect how things play with the new classes in the way of magic items and monster power. If I start new PCs using the old rest of everything- is this going to screw up things later when I get the other books and now find problems with play.

I would think that maybe things would be better if I just waited to the 51st anniversary and got all the new books at once. I do not really see this happening though.

We've already had a preview of what the new MM is likely to be with Monsters of the Multiverse. More importantly, the MM doesn't change how people sit down and play the game, it just changes DM prep a bit.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
If the 2014 phb goes out of print, can't find it on shelves after 2024, I don't see what it matters. The 2024 phb will be THE phb going forward.
I mean, sure, the 2024 PHB will eventually be the standard, no matter what. But there's a difference between everyone throwing their 2014 PHB in the trash in September, or if it gradually just gets used less and less over the rest of the '20s.

Oofta

Legend
Interesting to note that in this thread only 18.9% (as of this post) don't plan to switch to the revised books at all. Shows how pointless it is to draw many conclusions when the other thread puts it at 44.3%. Although, once again, there should probably be a "I'm not playing 5E now so I don't plan on buying new books anyway" option which would probably drop that number even lower.

mamba

Legend
Would it be fair to call it "revised?"
sure, it is revised after all

I guess part of the issue is that originally called the whole thing "OneD&D," the "final evolutionary state of D&D." Something in that vein. It was a placeholder name, but it was a placeholder name for... something.
they never called the revision OneD&D, that was always more than the new books and never the name for the new edition / revision / …

Remove ads