D&D (2024) (+) Beyond 2024 - Reprinting and reselling subclasses

Would you buy a "Complete Subclass" book that refreshed non-Core subclass options to 2024 standards?

• Yes, I would buy a "Complete Subclass" book to have it all in one place.

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • No, Wizards should errata future printings of original books and make it free on DDB if I have it.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • No, because I feel I would be fine following guidelines for conversion, or do it myself.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please elaborate in your post.)

Votes: 3 8.8%

By the time I have played OneDnD new classes and subclasses, they will have release new content. So old sub classes from Xananthar and Tasha are kind of dead for ever for me.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Well, that's a hypothetical world. At the moment, plenty of people still buy the hardcover books. (Cue all the folks posting Amazon stats.)

Why do we want a new player in 2026 to not have the ability to pick up a PHB subclass from 2014 without hunting it down on D&D Beyond?
Why does a new player in 2026 have a need to pick a choice that was made 12 years ago, especially when they have multiple subclasses right in their new PHB?

mamba

Legend
Didn't they say something along those lines at the creator summit? That they would combine, update and expand whatever does not make it to the PHB into a new book, like we have Xanathar for 5e? I am pretty sure I heard that somewhere. Just a matter of time...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, I disliked the idea of Mordenkainen's at first, since I already had books with all monsters and PC options: but I ended up getting it 8n the end anyways.

There are somewhere ~120 Subclasses for 5E, and while I can see already that the old versions will work with the new Class framework, a big book that revamps a bunch of Xanathar's and Tasha's options along with subsequently released options (like the Ravenloft or Fizban's options) and some new stuff...I can see it. Maybe not till 2026 or 27

TwoSix

Because some of them, like the Oath of Devotion, are iconic for a reason?
I feel confident that WotC is creative enough to express iconic class tropes in more than one way.

And like I said, I'm fine with them reusing some. But if the 2024 PHB has all the same subclasses as the 2014 PHB, plus a few standouts from XgtE/TCoE, that's a waste of potential.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I feel confident that WotC is creative enough to express iconic class tropes in more than one way.

And like I said, I'm fine with them reusing some. But if the 2024 PHB has all the same subclasses as the 2014 PHB, plus a few standouts from XgtE/TCoE, that's a waste of potential.
We know there is one new Subclass, a Bard College of Dance (unless that's a refluff of Swords or something).

Mostly I'd expect redo of established popular archetypes.

TwoSix

We know there is one new Subclass, a Bard College of Dance (unless that's a refluff of Swords or something).

Mostly I'd expect redo of established popular archetypes.
To be clear, I'm against this because I don't want to see a cleavage in the community between "old" 5e and "new" 5e. I want the 2024 PHB to simply be "more" 5e, and the best way to do that is to present a book that isn't simply a redux of concepts we already have.

I want tables where players mix-and match old material, new material, and third-party material to be the norm. Tables where people say "New books only, everything from before the new PHB isn't allowed" should hopefully be rare. WotC can heavily influence the way that transition goes with the choices they make in presenting new material.

Remove ads