D&D (2024) (+) Beyond 2024 - Reprinting and reselling subclasses

Would you buy a "Complete Subclass" book that refreshed non-Core subclass options to 2024 standards?

• Yes, I would buy a "Complete Subclass" book to have it all in one place.

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • No, Wizards should errata future printings of original books and make it free on DDB if I have it.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • No, because I feel I would be fine following guidelines for conversion, or do it myself.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please elaborate in your post.)

Votes: 3 8.8%

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I don’t think they should reprint any extant subclasses, either in the PHB or elsewhere, with the possible exception of redoing subclasses that didn’t hit the mark in their first iteration.

If subclasses need to be “redone” to be usable with revised 5e classes, then they failed to hit the mark in terms of backwards compatibility.
"need" vs improved are two different things.

Vael

Legend
I said no, but I'd say yes if there was more to it. A pure reprint book would annoy me, even if things were errata'ed and rebalanced. I'd want something new. So ... would I buy a "Expanded Players Handbook" with revised subclasses, and new ones and the Artificer and maybe another class? Yes

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I said no, but I'd say yes if there was more to it. A pure reprint book would annoy me, even if things were errata'ed and rebalanced. I'd want something new. So ... would I buy a "Expanded Players Handbook" with revised subclasses, and new ones and the Artificer and maybe another class? Yes
100%

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
What about 2014 PHB subclasses? Those would go out of print when the new core books are released.
My expectation is that the PHB should be just as much expansion for the 5e line as a whole as it is a retrenchment of the line. Ideally, with 48 subclasses, I'd like to see about 1/4 PHB redux (for subclasses than need changes), 1/4 redux of subclasses from pre-existing material (TCoE, XGtE, primarily), and 1/2 novel ideas.

In a world where the primary channel of release is going to be digital, the fact that some material isn't in "print" ceases to be an issue.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
So it sounds like if they stick with all subclasses being moved to 3rd level, like the Life Cleric does, or subclass features change levels, you think it is a forgone conclusion that they missed the mark completely?
I don't consider subclasses simply moving levels to be a major point of conversion. I also expect the new PHB will have conversion material to explain the necessary minor changes to use pre-2024 subclasses with 2024 classes.

If it doesn't do that, it doesn't meet the mark for my expectations, and I won't feel the need to purchase the PHB.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
In a world where the primary channel of release is going to be digital, the fact that some material isn't in "print" ceases to be an issue.
Well, that's a hypothetical world. At the moment, plenty of people still buy the hardcover books. (Cue all the folks posting Amazon stats.)

Why do we want a new player in 2026 to not have the ability to pick up a PHB subclass from 2014 without hunting it down on D&D Beyond?

Remove ads