Is there a monster/foe which eats magic items or spells?

Slit518

Adventurer
What about a dragon with rust breath? The breath weapon turns metal weapons and armor to rust and crumble right in the player's hands. How horrifying would that be? Metal magical circlet on your head? Gone to rust breath!

In my own campaign I use a few different monsters that could fit the bill:
* Glabrezu - I call them "Spell Destroyers". They cast Dispel Magic at will. Also, they can cast any spell as part of their multi-attack. They're also known as "wizard slayers". The first time the PCs faced a Glabrezu the Eldritch Knight's Shield spell was dispelled as part of a multi-attack. A massive beat down ensued. I pair them with Babau and Mezzodemons since both cast Darkness at will.
* Babau - They're a paltry CR 4 and can cast dispel magic and heat metal at will.
* Gauth - It's a Beholderkin with a "Devour Magic" eye ray. Items struck lose their magic for one round. Items with charges lose 1d4 charges.

Satyrn

First Post
I'm trying to prepare a different kind of foe for my adventurers when I DM next. Is anyone aware of an monster or foe which eats/destroys magic items or consumes spells known?

It doesn't have to be a tough monster or foe with a lot of hit points, I can just add more. Think of a rust monster, but for magical items and spells instead of for armor.

Some of the party would rather risk death than give up their magical items. The Dwarf had a custom built legendary shield; but when he mouthed off to an ancient blue wyrm, the wrym destroyed his artifact. This player honestly got angry...even after the rest of the party warned him that back talk to a wyrm isn't that smart....

thanks

That's . . . That's what skags and rakk do. Why have I not never given them that option? And just imagine how cool it would be for a beastmaster to order his pet rakk to go eat that bandit wizzerd's wand of fyreballz

Holy Toledo! Thank you.

aco175

Legend
Rust monsters have eaten many magic swords, shields, and armor in my time. Magical ones were able to make a save, but many failed. PCs would run from them like they were stirges rather than have their items ruined. The mage would be killing them himself while the fighters shot while running away.

I also seen/used items and lairs where magic would not work or be slowly drained. Most was in 1e/2e days with traps making items normal oe turning +3 into +2 and eventually +1 by the end of the encounter. These all seemed to make the players upset when it looked like the DM was targeting the magic given out.

corwyn77

Adventurer
I remember an old 2e game where a Dwarven "Paladin" hid behind my Gnome Wizard/Scout while I tanked and killed it with my stick. Good times. In his defense, he was wearing an heirloom suit of Dwarven Plate that he wasn't supposed to leave the city we were defending with.

Remove ads