Is there a monster/foe which eats magic items or spells?

Toledo

Explorer
I'm trying to prepare a different kind of foe for my adventurers when I DM next. Is anyone aware of an monster or foe which eats/destroys magic items or consumes spells known?

It doesn't have to be a tough monster or foe with a lot of hit points, I can just add more. Think of a rust monster, but for magical items and spells instead of for armor.

Some of the party would rather risk death than give up their magical items. The Dwarf had a custom built legendary shield; but when he mouthed off to an ancient blue wyrm, the wrym destroyed his artifact. This player honestly got angry...even after the rest of the party warned him that back talk to a wyrm isn't that smart....

thanks

Eis

Explorer
38662359_1886905434948642_7019832928133709824_n.jpg

guachi

Hero
The original version of the nagpa could destroy magic items that failed a save. The 5e version from whatever the latest book is called is a pale imitation.

Stay tuned for the forthcoming Creature Codex from Kobold Press. Without revealing too much and having my play test privileges revoked, I (think I) can say that there is will be at least one nasty that has the ability to ingest magic. Terrifying!

smbakeresq

Explorer
Manticores in literature and legend can eat and will eat anything, including magic items. They leave nothing to even resurrect a victim.

More info in Dragon Magazine 266

Remove ads