War forged AC again! Using as is but bad guys need some help!

Has there been any official word on this?

Both composite and heavy plating are listed as armor and the Warforged is technically wearing it, he can to swap it in and out.

I've already seen at least one DM allow it.

The text reads "Your body has built in protective layers which determines your armour class. You gain no benefit from wearing armour." and "You can alter your body to enter different defensive modes" - nothing about anything being swapped in and out in this edition. RAW warforged do not WEAR armour. Ergo they cannot benefit from Defense style (which would be benefiting from wearing armour, which warforged explicitly cannot do).

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Can any other race (or class) add their proficiency bonus to AC?

Irrelevant. Can any other armor wearing class not take advantage of magic armor? It evens out.

Magic armor will, at absolute best, keep pace with the Warforged, and only if the DM is extremely generous with it.

Consider this a racial feature that's worth about a +1 to AC. Magic armor and this will keep pace. Assuming that the magic armor was also worn by a race that has a racial feature boosting AC instead of something else.

Warforged starts off early because it's even with mundane armor that you might not be able to afford for the first few levels.

smbakeresq

Explorer
difficult terrain! swamps, webs, thickets, ice, heavy mud.....then enemies that can disengage and kite.....flying enemies may also help....and like it has already been stated the enemies will generally try not testing that heavy AC

nothing more frustrating lol "I've made myself into a rock and now nobody wants to punch me!"

Or use things like the giant options in SKT. A Stone Giant just picks you up and throws you away and you take damage, or a Hill Giant just belly flops on you.

Someone here once claimed he locked down Tiamat with PAM and Sentinel feat. I said “Really? Tiamat flys over you, you attack and hit and reduce speed to zero, she drops on top of you for about 5-50 damage (incredible size) and now you are prone and grappled under a multi-ton creature. Whose locked down now?”

Since armor is innate to war forged I would have designed them with damage reduction as opposed to automatic armor. I see them as being tough inside and out as opposed to just an exoskeleton. Half your proficiency seems about right.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
You can do what my regular players do with high AC opponents - grapple, shove prone, then gang pile. They call it "puttin' the boot to `em." At least here the monsters have advantage on attack rolls once the warforged is prone plus escape attempts take an action. You can tie him up in paperwork good this way while other monsters harry the other PCs.

GameOgre

Adventurer
I do not understand the issue. If a character puts a lot of effort or resources into gaining a higher AC, why is it a issue? Shouldn't someone in heavy armor (or the equivalent racial mods) be harder to hit?

5E AC caps out pretty darn low so even up only a few levels mobs are going to be regularly hitting a 22. Heck even a 23,24,25 while making a character a little tougher are still getting hit by anything even just mid level.

I would sit back and let the character wanting to play a tankish character enjoy it while it lasts, because it will not last long.

Even during the good times of low level with a higher AC, they will be rocked by many different monsters and spells ect.. that target other things.

S'mon

Legend
I have a super high AC Forge Domain dwarf cleric PC IMC. Not a problem for me as GM. He often gets to laugh at weak attackers.

Then he meets the Nalfeshnee or the 10-headed zombie cryohydra. :D

Remove ads