D&D 5E What DM flaw has caused you to actually leave a game?

pemerton

Legend
The facts are that in every edition but 4e, gods take a close hand with clerics and paladins. EXCEPT(there's the exception) for Eberron and Dark Sun. That I can remember anyway. There might be another setting that makes an exception.
It does. It creates a specific exception that the gods are distant, rather than close and tangible like is standard for every edition but 4th.
I don't know much about Eberron, but you're wrong here about 4e. Gods in 4e are as tangible as you want them to be. In my 4e game, the PCs have killed two and visited the burial place of a third.

The default cosmology of 4e makes the god's more active, and more "tangible", than any other D&D setting I know of. (And I'm including FR in this judgement.)

Sadras

Legend
I don't know much about Eberron, but you're wrong here about 4e. Gods in 4e are as tangible as you want them to be. In my 4e game, the PCs have killed two and visited the burial place of a third.

The default cosmology of 4e makes the god's more active, and more "tangible", than any other D&D setting I know of. (And I'm including FR in this judgement.)

[MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] I was also wondering about your claim about 4e deities being distant.
Do you make this distant claim because many of their stats have not been published, as opposed to the previous editions?

pemerton

Legend
Basic/Expert, for example, doesn't even have gods.
I haven't got my copy of Moldvay Basic ready to hand. I think it suggests that clerics are religious - I know we used to call our cleric PCs things like "Brother Simon" and I think we got that idea from the rulebook - but it doesn't have any rules for the GM to adjudicate deities independent of adjudicating alignment.

I have been able to check the Rules Cyclopedia (which is a downstream B/X variant, based on the Mentzer version) and can report that its description of the cleric class (p 13) says the following (which I'm 95% confident is not found in Moldvay Basic):

A cleric is a human character who is dedicated to serving a great and worthy cause. This cause can be an Immortal being dedicated to a specific goal or attribute; sometimes the cleric is serving only his alignment, and has no interest in immortal beings. The D&D game does not deal with the ethical and theological beliefs of the characters in the game.​

AD&D clerics were not really beholden to anything either. There were no mechanics for taking spells away from clerics who "misbehaved".

<snip>

The whole 6th and 7th level thing was added some time later, with the Dieties and Demigods IIRC.
Unfortunately you're not recalling correctly.

The 6th/7th thing is mentioned in the DMG (pp 38-39) and also in the PHB (p 40), although the latter presents it as applying to 5th level spells also. And in both places the possibility of spells being withheld for wrongful conduct is also discussed. There is no mechanic as such, but the GM is authorised to use authority in this respect.

I don't know if 2nd ed AD&D conferred similar authority on a GM. I'm pretty sure 3E doesn't. I know 4e doesn't. And it doesn't seem to be mentioned in the 5e Basic PDF.

So 1st ed AD&D (or perhaps AD&D in general) may be an outlier here.

Aldarc

Legend
AFAIC it pretty much would preclude them from playing in their own settings (assuming a typical campaign game rather than a one-off or exhibition), not only due to the player inequality but due to the DM having to look to the setting's creator for info, and-or for permission to change things. Add to that the enormous gulf between player knowledge and character knowledge for that one player as regards the setting and background info, and yeah - not something I'd want to DM and even less something I'd want to play in.
Except it didn't. So this inhibition appears self-imposed by yourself.

Same if someone else wanted to run a game using my homebrew setting - I'd be more than cool with that, and willing to offer advice, help, info, etc.; but I'd disqualify myself from playing in that game simply because I-as-player know too much.
This may stem from the undercurrent of "play-to-win" approaches that seem to run through your games rather than "play-to-roleplay." If you are actually roleplaying in first-person in this world, as you have claimed as your preference, then why would you be metagaming unless you are playing to win some sort of board game?

A power imbalance of knowledge will always exist, and the GM will not always be the most knowledgeable one. And perhaps it's okay and acceptable that the GM is not require to be the most knowledgeable person about a setting at the table.

Were I that player, who do I turn to for information on that deity or clan and what makes it tick: the DM whose world we're in or the player whose creation it is?
Have you nurtured such dependency on the GM through your own GMing that you really are that incapable of making a reasonable judgment as a player? Stop over-complicating basic things, such as communication. Re-learn how to think and use your basic critical thinking skills. :erm:

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] I was also wondering about your claim about 4e deities being distant.
Do you make this distant claim because many of their stats have not been published, as opposed to the previous editions?
Torog and Lolth both have published stats.

Vecna and Bahamut also. And I imagine Tiamat (in a Dracomonicon) though I'm not sure.

I remember adapting Bane stats from a Dragon mag, but they may be for an "aspect".

The module H2 presents a skill challenge invovling Vecna. It's intended for mid-Heroic PCs, although when I used it I was adapting it to a low-Pargaon context.

Sadras

Legend
Torog and Lolth both have published stats.

Vecna and Bahamut also. And I imagine Tiamat (in a Dracomonicon) though I'm not sure.

I remember adapting Bane stats from a Dragon mag, but they may be for an "aspect".

The module H2 presents a skill challenge invovling Vecna. It's intended for mid-Heroic PCs, although when I used it I was adapting it to a low-Pargaon context.

Exactly, not many as I said.

If that is the instance why Maxperson made the claim, it is certainly one way to look at it, but I do not need stats/mechanics to make deities more/less present or active. I mean we have been discussing how the class fluff does not need to be reflected in the mechanics to play a major role in game, so to now flip flop and say because stats of deities are not reflected it makes them more distant seems a little....weak.

Again this is a very big if as I have no idea why Maxperson made that claim. This is all guess work for now.

pemerton

Legend
But it is still adding knowledge later that at the time wasn't there to influence what was happening in the moment.

<snip>

If the GM has made such a decision, and you-as-PC don't have this information and have had no reasonable in-fiction way yet to get it, then your character concept is free and clear. Ignorance is bliss.

And even after the reveal, your character concept remains the same; as does the meaning of your action declarations at the time they were made (which is the only time they matter). The new info will shed a different light on all of it, and in your two examples likely prompt some soul-searching on the PC's part.
I don't understand what your point about the context of choice is.

Of course in the Curse of the Golden Flower it is only out of ignorance that brother and sister choose to sleep together. That's why the revelation that their relationship was in fact incestuous is so significant. And that revelation shows that, in this case, ignorance was not bliss. It was terrible. I won't spoil the movie any further, but the proper response is not "soul searching".

And it's simply not true that in these sorts of contexts the character concept remans the same eg if my concept of my PC is as upright in all things, and then it is revealed via unilateral GM fiat that I have in fact committed incest, my character concept is blown away. And a new concept is also added, unilaterally: uwitting committer of incest.

If my concept of my PC is stalwart defender of worthy folk and then it turns out via unilateral GM fiat that the folk in question are serial killers, my character concept is blown away. And a new concept is also added, in this case probably something along the lines of sucker! although the context might establish something slightly different.

I don't think what I'm saying is hard to follow. A person isn't just what s/he believes s/he is. If it was, people could never learn new things about themselves that make them ashamed or disappointed or (conversely) excited or proud.

the choices were still made at the time using the knowledge you had, and nothing changes that; and to say that it's all garbage now when it wasn't garbage then strikes me as a considerable over-reaction to a simple setback in the fiction.
With respect, this suggests a very shallow approach to fiction.

Suppose your PC is hired to assassinate someone, and does it - and then it turns out the victim is your father? Are you really going to tell me that that doesn't change things? That there is nothing to the game but the successful process of executing the intended hit?

You still successfully went out and found whatever it was, and dutifully brought it back. The sponsor's heel-turn doesn't change this.
My point is that our actions are revealed as pointless, and we're revealed as suckers (both at PC and player level, which makes it doubly galling).

Finding stuff and taking it from A to B is not the stuff of which my RPGing is made. The purely tactical process of carrying out a hit is not the stuff of which my RPGing is made. What is key is the fiction that is established. If the GM uniaterally changes that fiction to invalidate the players' contributions, that is a sucky game.

Same sort of thing can happen in real life: you make a choice on something (say, you buy a new car) and later learn your choice was flat-out the wrong choice (though you've had ten years of great times in this car, newly-released studies have shown that particular model of car is very likely to have some dangerous flaws). You can regret that choice once this new info comes to light, but it doesn't invalidate all of what went before - you still had great times in the car, for example - and nor, really, should it.
That's comparison bears no relationship to what I'm talking about.

Here's a more apt comparison: 10 years after buying the car you learn that you had a brother, one who was adopted or fostered out before you were born, so you never met him. And now you try and track him down, but you learn that just over 10 years ago he was killed, hit by a car while crossing the road. And the owner of the car, who couldn't handle driving that car anymore, sold it. To you. And so now all your fond memories of your times in your car become memories of enjoying time spent in the car that killed the brother you never met. I think for many people that would make a big difference to those memories. Both in fiction and in real life, those are the sorts of discoveries that can change a life. I doubt that many people would respond by way of "soul searching".

So far I've given examples that changes things in a bad way; sometimes people have things revealed to them that change their lives in a good way - I'm thinking now of the Balld of Bill Hubbard in Roger Water's album amused to death - a true story about a WWI soldier who'd been trying to carry a shot and dying comrade back into their trench but had to leave him in a shellhole in no man's land, and for years had lived with the burden that his friend was never found so that he might be buried and his death recorded; and then when he was an old man, he discovered his friend's name on a cenotaph roll, and - to quote - "It lightened my heart." (This example also helps us think about soul searching - as the soldier says when being interviewed, he had always wondered if there was something more he could have done to bring his friend back to the trench - but now that his heart is lightened, that soul searcing is no longer necessary.)

isn't this soul-searching just another variant on the type of challenge the likes of which a GM is supposed to put in front of a PC?
The GM's role is to provoke the players to make choices. This may or may not require soul searching on the player's parts (either for themselves, or as their PCs).

If the GM wants to introduce an apparently pleasant person into the fiction, who then turns out to be a serial killer or vampire (an old standby!) or whatever, maybe that will make for some good RPGing and some appropriate soul searching, depending on how it's handled and the mood of the table.

But I'm talking about a case where the player has already estabilshed that his PC is out adventuring so that he make the world safe for his dear dad. This is the character concept. And now the GM unilaterally determines that that concept is radically mistaken, and that dad actually isn't worth saving. Or in whatever other way, depending on the details, unilaterally reveals the PC's self-conception and motivation (which in typical cases is also the player's conception of the PC and the PC's motivation) to be radically misguided.

I can't think of any RPGing context in which that doesn't just suck.

do you happen to know whether the GM had this heel-turn planned right from the start, or was it something done on a whim?

I ask because for me if it was planned from the start then I'd very likely give the GM the benefit of the doubt on the assumption that he's got something bigger and better in mind over the long run
I assume it was planned, as it had all the hallmarks of ye olde raileroade.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Have you nurtured such dependency on the GM through your own GMing that you really are that incapable of making a reasonable judgment as a player? Stop over-complicating basic things, such as communication. Re-learn how to think and use your basic critical thinking skills.

Disagreeing with somebody isn't a reason to start insulting them. If you can't disagree politely without namecalling, find some other thread to post in.

Sadras

Legend
I assume it was planned, as it had all the hallmarks of ye olde raileroade.

So in one of my prior campaigns, there was a PC swordmage whose arcane teacher was an alchemist/potion brewer and a bit of a ladies man. Nothing much else was developed by the player.

From here on it is DM driven: Anyways the teacher went on the run as a hit had been placed on his him (Black Seal Warrant - Minrothad Guilds). The why is not relevant for this discussion. Between long periods of him being gone, he would appear and ask for assistance from his ex-student the PC (monies, hideout, certain components), until one day, it was uncovered that he had attacked and brutally murdered a fellow ally NPC.

Long story short, the teacher was revealed to be a figurehead of the lycanthropic organisation operating within the duchy, the same organisation that had numerous of their plans foiled and members slain at the hands of the PCs.
Many subtle and not so subtle clues had been provided along the course of the campaign. As the party became ever more a thorn in the organisation's side, the teacher was forced to into a position of either dealing once and for all with his meddling ex-student and his allies or run the risk of being found out and killed.

Now the player at my table enjoyed how I weaved his backstory into one of the major campaign arcs making it so personal.
For players at my table, when they provide a backstory they expect the DM to use it in the stories that will be told. Railroad or not this is what they like as players - they want to be surprised.

Last edited:

Remove ads