D&D 5E What DM flaw has caused you to actually leave a game?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Another general thought on fumbles (not specific to the game I described above)... They mean that the more attacks you get per turn, the more chance you have to fail - so a 20th level Fighter actually drops his weapons (or falls over) far more often than a 1st-level one. :-S

Yes, but the method I described above counteracts that. It actually becomes less and less likely to happen the higher you go, and at 16+ can't happen at all.

Grainger

Explorer
There's also more to it than even that. In a real combat, you are fighting for your life, and often against multiple foes along with multiple allies. There's a lot of chaos, as well as blood and such. More more chance of a little something going wrong.

Some of us like to try and represent that, others don't. It's all good. :)

Are we going for total realism or cinematic style fighting (the latter of which is better represented by D&D rules)?

In real fights, experienced combatants would be a lot of careful in battle (and indeed there is evidence that by and large, historical combatants - in battle or personal combat - were very cautious/defensive). Footwork drills and trained stances, for example, minimise the chances of slipping and tripping, although of course it could still happen. But trained fighters wouldn't usually recklessly jump around during fights and if they were any good, they would maintain situational awareness of hazards. Yes, they could be set upon by multiple foes, but then tripping over is the least of their worries.

In a cinematic style fight people do jump around recklessly - but then in cinematic fight, how often do people fall over (unless it's explicitly for the purposes of suspense/plot)? Movie characters don't simply fall over every few swings then just get up again.

So either way I'd say it isn't particularly fitting to have lots of pratfalls. If the fight is in an unusual envrionment - a narrow ledge, on ice etc. then fair enough - but then in that situation I'd prefer to do it as separate Dex checks rather than tied to the hit rolls anyway.

5ekyu

Hero
Another general thought on fumbles (not specific to the game I described above)... They mean that the more attacks you get per turn, the more chance you have to fail - so a 20th level Fighter actually drops his weapons (or falls over) far more often than a 1st-level one. :-S
If fumbles start happening on 1-4 and carry severe penalties, man, run up, dodge and wait for their own botches or the save throw spells yo get things done.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
That's crazy. I've been in games with fumbles, and game without them, but never have I been in a game where anything other than a 1 was a critical fail. I feel for you man.
We've had fumbles in our games since forever: on a 1, or on any roll brought to 1 or lower* by external forces e.g. a bane effect, roll a d6. Then a 1 on the d6 means you've fumbled.

* - minuses are checked before pluses, thus a roll of 2 -1 for bane +2 for magic weapon +1 for strength still threatens a fumble as the -1 - checked first - brought it down to 1. A natural 1 always misses, an adjusted 1 such as this example, if no fumble occurs, can still hit if the plusses are enough and-or the attacker is proficient enough.

A fumble can lead to many outcomes on a d% chart. Most of these are pretty minor - a few points damage to self or ally, or something breaks**, or you somehow let down your defenses and give your foe a free attack, or similar. Some are a bit more serious, mostly to do with disarming yourself. A few are quite serious - significant damage to self or ally is one such.

** - magic items always get a (usually fairly easy) save.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
We've had fumbles in our games since forever: on a 1, or on any roll brought to 1 or lower* by external forces e.g. a bane effect, roll a d6. Then a 1 on the d6 means you've fumbled.

* - minuses are checked before pluses, thus a roll of 2 -1 for bane +2 for magic weapon +1 for strength still threatens a fumble as the -1 - checked first - brought it down to 1. A natural 1 always misses, an adjusted 1 such as this example, if no fumble occurs, can still hit if the plusses are enough and-or the attacker is proficient enough.

A fumble can lead to many outcomes on a d% chart. Most of these are pretty minor - a few points damage to self or ally, or something breaks**, or you somehow let down your defenses and give your foe a free attack, or similar. Some are a bit more serious, mostly to do with disarming yourself. A few are quite serious - significant damage to self or ally is one such.

** - magic items always get a (usually fairly easy) save.

I think that's a little more complicated and prone to fumbling than I want in my game. It sounds cool, though, and I'd be up for it if I played in yours.

pemerton

Legend
A2A is a known form of logical fallacy
Bollocks. Even Wikipedia has noticed that it's not:

An argument from authority, also called an appeal to authority, or argumentum ad verecundiam is a form of defeasible argument in which a claimed authority's support is used as evidence for an argument's conclusion. It is well known as a fallacy, though it is used in a cogent form when all sides of a discussion agree on the reliability of the authority in the given context.​

(NB: fallacy is not a synonym for logical fallacy.)

Nearly everything that you (or any poster on this thread) knows, you know because you learned it from an authority. If you didn't accept authoritative opinion as good evidence, you would have to abaondon basically all your beliefs about history, geography, science, mathematics, and stuff that happens every day outside your hometown.

If you argument hinges on nothing more than "that's what folks say" (with presumably your choice of folks being credible) the whole of your argument boils down to their credibility.]
"What foks say" is largely the opposite of authority (unless you're talking about stuff that happened at the shopping centre down the street).

The key being this - is there evidence other than the perceived authority?
Evidence available to whom? What's the evidence that New York was settled before the 18th century? Other than a book (= the dreaded "authority"!)

But the key part is A2A can be reasonable- if the source is credible and supported by evidence.
An argument that can be reasonable is not a logical fallacy. It's not even an informal fallacy. As Wikipedia notes, it's defeasible. Given that basically every argument anyone ever runs outside of mathematics is defeasible, that's not a very telling blow against it.

As far as [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION]'s claim is concerned, two things:

(1) Either Hussar's an English teacher, or has been working hard to maintain the online facade of being an English teacher for over a decade. Given that there's little reason for someone to do the latter, and given that his reports about English teaching and challengs of cross-cultural education have always seemed coherent enough to me, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

(2) I'm not an English teacher - I'm an academic lawyer and philosopher - and I know that Hussar is 100% correct when he says that [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] is 100% wrong to say that " 'On a hit, roll damage' is equal to 'On a miss, don't roll damage.' It's just the way language works."

The instruction that, on a hit, one must roll damage, doesn't forbid anyone from rolling damage on a miss. It probably implies that "On a miss, you don't need to roll damage" but the absence of an obligation isn't the same thing as being forbidden - the absence of an obligation is consistent with a permission. Which was [MENTION=6787503]Hriston[/MENTION]'s point.

Of course if there is not hit, and damage is rolled, no hit point reduction will take place. But that's a different thing. [MENTION=6787503]Hriston[/MENTION]'s point is that the combat rules don't forbid rolling to hit and damage together (and the absence of doubt about this is simply reinforced by the fact that the DMG advises rolling them together!).

Why would a fallacy not be treated as a fallacy?

<snip>

The fallacy would be if you presented as your only proof that France's capitol is Paris, that an authority said so. If you engaged other arguments, such as maps, news sources, a french citizen you spoke with, and so on, it would not be an Appeal to Authority to also mention that a geography teacher taught that to you.
This is hilarious! Why is a map evidence? Because it's a source of authority! Why is a citizen of France's testimony evidence? Because s/he is an authority on his/her own country!

The fact that the only sources of evidence that you can think of for the status of Paris as the capital of France are authorities is enough to prove my point!

(What would count as evidence for the status of Paris that is not evidence from authority? For capital cities it's very hard, because even if you asked Emmanuel Macron the only evidence that you have that he is President of France is because authorities, like news broadcasts, told you so! The direct evidence, unmediated by authoritative testimony, to establish a socio-political fact like that is incredibly complicated because it involves patterns of behaviour distributed across a wide swathe of social actors.)

Authorities can also be wrong. As an attorney, you should be well aware of that fact
I'm not an attorney. I'm an academic lawyer.

And yes, authorities can be wrong. That's why argument from authority is defeasible. But as I already posted, practically every bit of inference you engage in is defeasible. For a good discussion of what bits of your "knowledge" you would have to erase if you resolved to accept only non-defeasible inference I recommend Bertrand Russell's The Problems of Philosophy. Short answer: practically all of it.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
This is hilarious! Why is a map evidence? Because it's a source of authority! Why is a citizen of France's testimony evidence? Because s/he is an authority on his/her own country!

The fact that the only sources of evidence that you can think of for the status of Paris as the capital of France are authorities is enough to prove my point!

There is a difference in arguments between, "X is true, because Y is an authority" and "X is true, because of X, Y, and Z reasons", even if those reasons are from various authorities. One is a fallacy, and the other is not.

I'm not an attorney. I'm an academic lawyer.

And yes, authorities can be wrong. That's why argument from authority is defeasible. But as I already posted, practically every bit of inference you engage in is defeasible. For a good discussion of what bits of your "knowledge" you would have to erase if you resolved to accept only non-defeasible inference I recommend Bertrand Russell's The Problems of Philosophy. Short answer: practically all of it.

Fallacies are fallacies. Period. If you engage in one it doesn't automatically make you wrong or right, but it does make the argument logically invalid. All of these things you are mentioning are irrelevant to whether or not @Hussar made an Appeal to Authority as his only response to my argument. Not only was it an Appeal to Authority, but his next response was an Ad Hominem attack. If he really is an English teacher, he should know better.

Hussar

Legend
There's been so much arguing about arguing lately that I've forgotten what the original argument was about.

This entire thread has pretty much been that.

Someone brings up an idea and adds an example to clarify - spend the next several pages ignoring the idea and focusing on deconstructing the example. Thus magic missiles are the issue, not the idea that 5e has numerous rules that allow for rerolls and changing the fiction after the fact. Don't like Shield? Ok, a Great Weapon Fighting Style fighter potentially REROLLS damage AFTER the roll. No magic involved whatsoever. Rolled a 1 on your damage with your greatsword? No problem, reroll and get a 10. Whoohoo, your minimum damage attack now deals maximum damage. But, apparently that's time travel?

Someone brings up an idea and adds an example to clarify - spend the next several pages taking the example to extremes that were obviously not intended. So, now backgrounding a bear companion results in the DM being forced to allow T-Rex's in every town. :uhoh:

Someone suggests that maybe not forcing players to do stuff they don't want? - spend several pages claiming that DM will now be forced to run games they hate.

On and on and on. It would be nice if there was just a smidgeon less bad faith arguing going on here, so we could actually have a discussion without screwing around page after page correcting faulty assumptions and blindingly stupid interpretations.

--------

Oh, and btw, [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION], since someone else has also corrected you on your English usage, it's no longer an appeal to authority since multiple sources have been stated. I didn't bother, because, well, I have been teaching English for about 20 years and feel no real need to provide my bona fides. A more reasonable response on your part would be a reexamination of where you went wrong in your use of the language, rather than, again, ignoring the point, and simply attacking me. But, hey, that's been pretty much par for the course for this entire thread.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Oh, and btw, [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION], since someone else has also corrected you on your English usage,

So first, I've re-considered and both of you are correct. It doesn't automatically mean the opposite. It does heavily imply it, though. If you were intended to roll on a miss, they would not have specified to roll on a hit, but would instead have said something like, "When you roll to hit, also roll a die for damage."

it's no longer an appeal to authority since multiple sources have been stated.

This is just nonsense, though. Nothing anyone says or does can alter the fact that you used an Appeal to Authority in response to me. That's what argument you made.

Remove ads