Half-orc
Warlock 3 / Barbarian 4
Strength=18
Dexterity=18
Constitution=18
Intelligence= 9
Wisdom= 12
Charisma= 16

For the warlock i chose arch-fey and went pact of the chain and for my invocations i picked Gift of the Ever-Living Ones and Voice of the Chain Master and for the barbarian i chose the totem-warrior and picked the beat totem and for feats i have Dual Wielder.
i just want to get some ideas on how i can improve my character

The party is made up of
>Fallen Aasimar Death Cleric
>Dwarf coquest paladin
>high elf Necromancer
>Githyanki Samurai
>Gnome GOO warlock
>Goliaths blood hunter

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
One of the problems with mutliclassing in 5e is that it's easy to unintentionally delay some important parts to stay on-par with the other characters, such as ASIs and the level 5 power bump.

I'm working under the assumption you can only move forward (if you DM will let you revamp that's a different story).

Okay, the more attacks you get, the more you get to use your rage bonus to damage. Barbarian 5 will give you extra attack.

Warlock 4 will give an ASI. Don't leave these hanging.

Reckless attack lets you hit more often. Make sure you use your STR to attack instead of your DEX - they are the same score, but one has advantages.

Dual wielding is not the strongest choice - once you get to extra attack, using a two handed weapon is usually more damaging then using two one-handed weapons, even if you do get to add that rage melee bonus once more per round. But it's workable. The hard part is that you also need your bonus action for other things like retargetting Hex (when not raging), so there are times you'll end up skipping it.

You can't cast nor concentrate on a spell while raging, so you lock yourself out of a bunch of abilities at times.

Your ability scores are incredibly good. D&D has the ASI vs. feat tradeoff, you really never need to worry abut not taking a feat because your scores are so completely off the chart.

Which leaves you open for more feats. If you didn't have Dual Wielding, I would suggest either Great Weapon Mastery or Polearm Mastery. Reckless attack gives more crits as well as more hits, so both parts of GWM come into play often. Polearm Master would be like Dual Wielding in giving a bonus action attack but would also give reach, bigger dice for your main hand, an extra reaction attack, and only need a single magical weapon.

You mentioned Pact of the Chain, can you give us some idea of what you are expecting out of that? It doesn't seem to synergize well with your barbarian half.

I've been talking completely about combat, you need to give us more about the DM and table to talk about the other pillars of play. What niches is your party weak in that you want to fill? Voice of the Chain Master gives some clues, as that's a fun and useful one.

Richard Brookes

First Post
The main reason i chose pact of the chain is for story reasons ,and being to able scout as well but also being able to get max heal on spells from gift of the ever-living ones.

FullCaster

First Post
I disagree, he has barbarian unarmored defense which gives ac benefits from both dex and con. I would die happy if I could've rolled my stats as such for my barbarian.

You misunderstood what I said. I didn't say being a Barbarian was the problem. The problem is he made his barbarian worse by mixing in 3 levels of Warlock.

ccs

41st lv DM
You misunderstood what I said. I didn't say being a Barbarian was the problem. The problem is he made his barbarian worse by mixing in 3 levels of Warlock.

I'm curious as to how you determined he made his character worse as we have virtually no information.

ccs

41st lv DM
i just want to get some ideas on how i can improve my character

You think about the character your trying to portray & make choices (both RP wise & mechanically) that best help you do that. Even if those choices aren't whatever someone else would deem optimized.

So, tell us a story....
How'd you come by those stats? Those lvs? Did you just start at this point, or did you actually earn those lvs through play?
Were you a barbarian 1st & then warlock? The other way around? Do you bounce back & forth when leveling? How does being a bear totem barbarian impact your character besides mechanics? Same with your warlock patron. Who/what is it? What's the story reason behind your choice? What's your Background & skills?
That's an eclectic looking party your in. Why are you together, what are you doing?
What's your backstory? Your present story? Your future goals?

Remove ads