Thirteenth Doctor - First Season - Thoughts? (SPOILERS WELCOME)

I feel like if you're going to start off introducing a character by having his grandmother die being heroic, you ought to make it clearer what she's accomplishing with her heroism. The lightning-tentacle thing was just kinda chillin' out there, and there didn't seem to be any urgency.

Aside from that, I had a fun time.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm okay with all new monsters for a bit. I don't think they need to jump into having Cybermen and Daleks right away. That can come later.
The Third Doctor went two years with all new monsters.

Daleks lose their potency when they're defeated twice a year.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
if this was a Moffat operation, you could at least rest easy, knowing that anything Moffat says about the show will be contradicted later.

But, of course, it isn't. Moffat's last episode was the 2017 X-mas special, and he has moved on. Chris Chibnall is now head writer and executive producer.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Still not sold on Bradley Walsh.

The actor, or the character.

As I was watching, I was thinking, "Oh, yeah, here's how we know Companions. They are the ones that walk *toward* the weird space things."

And then here's this guy who... doesn't. He has a normal, credible amount of fear of things that go ZAP! in the night. I find that... refreshing. They will have a balancing act over the man's fears vs staying with the Doctor, but if they can pull it off, it is markedly different perspective than we usually get.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I really liked this Doctor and thought she caught the manic genius vibe of Tenant well. I enjoy too how they referenced her being a woman (even throwing in the shopping 'joke' at the end) but overall making it irrelevant to her being the Doctor.

The companions are all a bit boring but I was also amused by the use of the Bus Drivers network and a Social Media search to locate 'strange activity around Sheffeild" - it reminded me of Wilfred Mott (Donnas Granddad) and his network. I wonder too if social media is going to play a big role in this season too.

Overall a solid Doctor Who episode, though nothing particularly noteworthy happened.

The actor. I associate him with daytime quiz shows. I’m sure my perception will change over the coming weeks.

It's not like we haven't had to work against preconceptions of companions based on past careers before...

[video=youtube_share;YECHW8BxqNg]https://youtu.be/YECHW8BxqNg[/video]

Remove ads