Thirteenth Doctor - First Season - Thoughts? (SPOILERS WELCOME)

Nutation

Explorer
Spiders was my least favorite episode, and a real fall from the prior episode, mainly because of the ham-fisted cartoon villain. I hope he is not a recurring character, or if he is, make him more 3-dimensional.

I doubt we'll see him again. I think the hotel owner who wants to be the American president was an unflattering caricature of the current American president who is a hotel owner.

1st - the grieving scenes - Bradley Walsh delivered a moving performance and made for the deepest and best portrayed motive for a character wanting to go off with the doctor in the history of the show (at least that I can think of off the top of my head).

Nyssa, perhaps? The Master had stolen her father's body. But, it was a great performance. Too often, the companions leave with the Doctor just because it's a lark.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Despite my rather negative tone above, I should say that overall I enjoyed Spiders. Include the missing segment and get some plot holes filled / loose ends tied up, there is a 90-minute Halloween Special that can be re-run in future.

MarkB

Legend
2nd - the scene where the giant mother spider was dying because it grew too large and it being shot. Up until the villain started speaking. Such good writing so startlingly quickly ruined by poor writing.

True, but I feel like the Doctor's "no guns" policy was played up in this episode to the point of being just a knee-jerk reaction. Yeah, the hotel guy's actions were clearly not motivated by mercy, but when the poor creature is dying a slow and painful death from suffocation, a bullet to the brain seems a lot more merciful than the Doctor's apparent intention of standing there sympathising with it while it slowly expired.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
2nd - the scene where the giant mother spider was dying because it grew too large and it being shot. Up until the villain started speaking. Such good writing so startlingly quickly ruined by poor writing.

See, suspension of disbeleif failed for me on that small artifice, because you can't have a giant spider happily clinging to a roof in one scene and then suffocating from its weight in the next - if square-cube law and the spiders weight is an issue, then make sure that gravity applies to spiders on the ceiling too!!
Indeed when they dropped that tidbit in after they had already proclaimed the 'strand of spider silk the thickness of a pencil can hold down a plane" meme, my inner nerd groaned at the rush of middle school trivia parading as creative writing

Last edited:

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
That almost seemed like an old school style episode. Refreshing that I could not tell where the plot was heading.

Couldn't help but notice that there was a picture of a Weeping Angel on the computer, as well as The Silence. Pretty advanced tech to be able to display both without problems occurring. :eek:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wasn’t a fan of this episode. The monster reminded me of the Slitheen, and the self destruct unit you can just pick up and chuck out the window seemed rather pointless. It was basically ... serviceable filler, I guess.

That almost seemed like an old school style episode. Refreshing that I could not tell where the plot was heading.

Couldn't help but notice that there was a picture of a Weeping Angel on the computer, as well as The Silence. Pretty advanced tech to be able to display both without problems occurring. :eek:

No problems..for now.......

Remove ads