Thirteenth Doctor - First Season - Thoughts? (SPOILERS WELCOME)

The finale was a bit weak for my tastes.
Again, Time Shaw just looks gross and not scary. And the "one cool thing" about his people (their bodies are super cold) doesn't come up. It's rare for individual villains in Doctor Who to be reoccurring rather than villainous species, and Tim Shaw just was not up to snuff to compete with the five or six "evil individuals".

Graham's character arc was nice and his and Ryan's relationship has been tied up nicely. Yaz is still fun but just there more often than not.

Ryujin

Legend
The finale was a bit weak for my tastes.
Again, Time Shaw just looks gross and not scary. And the "one cool thing" about his people (their bodies are super cold) doesn't come up. It's rare for individual villains in Doctor Who to be reoccurring rather than villainous species, and Tim Shaw just was not up to snuff to compete with the five or six "evil individuals".

Graham's character arc was nice and his and Ryan's relationship has been tied up nicely. Yaz is still fun but just there more often than not.

One thing seemed to be missing; the connection to the holiday episode. More often than not the last episode of the series shows the direct tie to the the upcoming holiday episode but this one just... ended.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
One thing seemed to be missing; the connection to the holiday episode. More often than not the last episode of the series shows the direct tie to the the upcoming holiday episode but this one just... ended.

Hmmm. I’m thinking back. It’s happened a couple of times, but I’m sure it’s not usually connected.

Yeah, it's usually connected. But not always.
They had planned to set up The Next Doctor following Donna's departure, but felt it killed the sadness. None of the Smith specials were set-up by the previous episode (but a couple did pick-up fairly quickly afterwards... more or less). And the long breaks in seasons meant they didn't set-up the latter two Capaldi specials, just Last Christmas and Twice Upon a Time.

So... of the fourteen specials, only seven have been set-up.

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah, it's usually connected. But not always.
They had planned to set up The Next Doctor following Donna's departure, but felt it killed the sadness. None of the Smith specials were set-up by the previous episode (but a couple did pick-up fairly quickly afterwards... more or less). And the long breaks in seasons meant they didn't set-up the latter two Capaldi specials, just Last Christmas and Twice Upon a Time.

So... of the fourteen specials, only seven have been set-up.

Sounds right, but then again the last episode of the series seems to generally have more weight to it than that. If not a tie-in to the holiday episode then the death of a companion, a regeneration, or the like. This one was just done. Anticlimactic.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That said, so far I think I am .... slightly disappointed?

I think it wise to remember that with a new doctor, new companions, and new showrunner... it is basically a new show, creatively speaking. And it usually takes a while for a new show to find its footing. We have had 10 episodes, which is just barely long enough for them to get into the loop of writing, production, presentation, and audience feedback. They now have a break to pause and examine their work, and make adjustments.

Remove ads