I was right about Shield Master

Ristamar

Adventurer
So what's the new ruling on timing? I don't follow twitter.

Clarification about bonus actions: if a feature says you can do X as a bonus action if you do Y, you must do Y before you can do X. For Shield Master, that means the bonus action must come after the Attack action. You decide when it happens afterward that turn.

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/994993596989300736

FYI, you have to complete the Attack action before you can use the Shield Master bonus action. You can't use it between attacks.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Clarification about bonus actions: if a feature says you can do X as a bonus action if you do Y, you must do Y before you can do X. For Shield Master, that means the bonus action must come after the Attack action. You decide when it happens afterward that turn.

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/994993596989300736

FYI, you have to complete the Attack action before you can use the Shield Master bonus action. You can't use it between attacks.

Thanks. I had heard about that months ago, I thought there was a newer change from the tone of the OP.

G

Guest 6801328

Wait...what is this conversation about?

1. Community splits over the interpretation of shield master and argues for months
2. JC tweets saying that interpretation A is what he intended
3. Many months (over a year?) pass
4. JC tweets again, essentially reaffirming his earlier tweet
5. Somebody from step 1 crows about having been one of the 3.73 million people who "won".

It's funny how, long after these debates have faded away, it's impossible to remember who stood on which side of the debate. I swear that in 5 years, after people stop clamoring for Warlords, I won't remember who was in favor of them and who was opposed. Except [MENTION=8900]Tony[/MENTION]Vargas, maybe. It's hard to forget that.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
It's funny how, long after these debates have faded away, it's impossible to remember who stood on which side of the debate. I swear that in 5 years, after people stop clamoring for Warlords, I won't remember who was in favor of them and who was opposed. Except [MENTION=8900]Tony[/MENTION]Vargas, maybe. It's hard to forget that.
I'll always remember you were a comrade-in-arms in standing up for poor Eloelle and her misunderstood genius. :)

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Wait...what is this conversation about?

1. Community splits over the interpretation of shield master and argues for months
2. JC tweets saying that interpretation A is what he intended
3. Many months (over a year?) pass
4. JC tweets again, essentially reaffirming his earlier tweet
5. Somebody from step 1 crows about having been one of the 3.73 million people who "won".

I believe they know who they are

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Same, especially given the OP's statement about the Attack action having to be complete (which the tweet does not state).

That is precisely what that tweet says. You must use the attack action before you can use the bonus action shield master provides. Doesn’t get much more clear than this

Remove ads