I was right about Shield Master

eayres33

Explorer
Well it would be if JC wasn't so durn clear on what he meant.

Why do we care what JC says now? Sure when he was helping to write the rules of 5e a few years ago his opinion carried some weight, but then he and others in the book he wrote told the DM's to read the books and make rulings and he gave the rulings power over the rules he created.

So four to five years later in retrospect and a different frame of mind he has a different opinion, well that's great, but I don't care. The Dm is in charge now and unless JC is running my game his opinion doesn't mean much.

eayres33

Explorer
I really don't understand why some people insist they understand the rules better than the people who professionally wrote and interpret said rules.

I mean nobody's arguing against house rules to interpret rules in a way that makes more sense for the fiction or game flow or whatever at anybody's personal table. But if you think you have greater claim on understanding and interpreting the RAW than Jeremy Crawford you're sadly mistaken.

Again, I don't think anybody's interpretation or application of the rule is wrong; there's simply RAW and then there's House Rules. You can disagree with the RAW. The entire point of House Rules are when you disagree with the rules as they are written or don't think they work as well for your own table. But there's no sense in arguing that it isn't actually RAW.

Unless I'm wrong, I've had a long week and a few drinks so that is a possibility. RAW is rules as written, an author can mean one thing and write another. RAI or rules as intended would be in JC and all the other authors in agreement discussing what was meant by the rules. But 5 years after it was written I don't trust anyone's memory, especially since they have done additions to the rules, by now it is, this is what I think we meant when we wrote the rules 5 years ago, plus the changes I'd think I 'd want to make but haven't been in the expansions.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Why do we care what JC says now? Sure when he was helping to write the rules of 5e a few years ago his opinion carried some weight, but then he and others in the book he wrote told the DM's to read the books and make rulings and he gave the rulings power over the rules he created.

So four to five years later in retrospect and a different frame of mind he has a different opinion, well that's great, but I don't care. The Dm is in charge now and unless JC is running my game his opinion doesn't mean much.

For the same reason we cared about his rulings when we agreed with them

epithet

Explorer
I was going more so that we could call those that disagreed with us idiots because they disagree with the game designer.

That works too though

See, if I agree with Crawford and you don't, I get to call you an idiot without the reading comprehension of an average 3rd grader. On the other hand if you agree with Crawford and I don't, I get to call you a mindless sycophant incapable of thinking for yourself. The internet is a bottomless well of life-affirming opportunities to be a tool.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
See, if I agree with Crawford and you don't, I get to call you an idiot without the reading comprehension of an average 3rd grader. On the other hand if you agree with Crawford and I don't, I get to call you a mindless sycophant incapable of thinking for yourself. The internet is a bottomless well of life-affirming opportunities to be a tool.

Or else, knowing the intent of the rule gives the DM another tool to use when deciding which way to go with his game.

On a completely unrelated note, I seem to be encountering Starfinder's alien archive a lot today. :hmm:

Remove ads