D&D as Corporate Team Building Exercise

Dausuul

Legend
What sort of a team are you working with here? How well do you know the people involved? If you know them, what are their personalities and interests?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
D&D is a fairly complicated ruleset. Do not expect new players to just sit down and start playing, unless you do a lot of work to set up for it.

More than just pregenerated characters, they should have character sheets with all the math done for them, all spells already chosen for them, and the effects of abilities written out in full. If these people have to crack open a book to figure things out, you're in trouble.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
I would make pregens to hand out with some words on how their personality is instead of letting the players make something up. Also find a cool picture to attach to it to ground them with the others. You can make the picture part of a table tent with their name and such on it.

Something to take home for the players would be cool. Dice is always something they will remember. Something cheesy like those plastic sign holders to insert the character sheet would work as well. Not sure how many would put their sheet with dice upon their desk at work, but it may be cool.

Minis are also something people could take home as a memento. maybe make their character sheet to match the mini before giving them out.

aco175

Legend
I find that it would also be helpful to have the characters advance a level in the middle of the game. If they are first level, you should have the 2nd level sheets already made as well to speed things up. You can have them printed on the back of the 1st level sheet.

Princelucianus

Explorer
I've done a corporate D&D session twice and did the following the second time.

First, I held a presentation talking about RPG's in general and later D&D in particular. Talked about the rules during the presentation since pictures en group were helpful.
Secondly, gave them simplified character sheets with no useless information on it.
This cost about an hour.

The adventure was very basic.
Escape from a prison (players introduce themselves to eachother while trying to find out how to escape).
Small chase in a dungeon.
The door to the outside world has a riddle on it.
Outside are guards that they needed to fight to escape. Meanwhile, they also have to turn a raft so they can escape on water.

This was very basic, took 2 hours (so 3 including the presentation).

I don't know if 5 hours is a good idea, since there will be players who might not really enjoy the game....

Remove ads