D&D 4E Mike Mearls on how D&D 4E could have looked

OK on this "I would’ve much preferred the ability to adopt any role within the core 4 by giving players a big choice at level 1, an option that placed an overlay on every power you used or that gave you a new way to use them." Basically have Source Specific Powers and less class powers. But I think combining that with having BIG differing stances to dynamically switch role might be a better...

OK on this "I would’ve much preferred the ability to adopt any role within the core 4 by giving players a big choice at level 1, an option that placed an overlay on every power you used or that gave you a new way to use them."
Basically have Source Specific Powers and less class powers. But I think combining that with having BIG differing stances to dynamically switch role might be a better idea so that your hero can adjust role to circumstance. I have to defend this NPC right now vs I have to take down the big bad right now vs I have to do minion cleaning right now, I am inspiring allies in my interesting way, who need it right now.

and the obligatory
Argghhhh on this. " I wanted classes to have different power acquisition schedules"

And thematic differences seemed to have been carried fine.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I feel like 5e took away some tools which had a lot of potential. (skill challenges are one of those - since they are a DM facing element this affects lot fewer people than not having a Druid or Bard or Barbarian in the players handbook ...aka in my opinion a definite error in 4e - just as I feel not taking the Warlord tactician/strategist seriously for 5e was a mistake, Battlemaster isn't it even if it could be)

Oh yeah I am still very much inspired by elements out of 1e and 2e ... generally not exactly how they were done but actual flavors as well as potentials that were never realized at most tables 4e did some of that gave us the defender and the cunning warrior. I think 5e did some too.

One manner that magic has improved and could be improved more is if it many times were an enabler for things of the martial vein.

If a caster can summon a bunch of automatically controlled flying critters its meh... but if he summons them and they have to be trained with a struggle featuring athletics it gives weight to the martial hero. (which yes can be accomplished by a more generalist character too but eh). This could be applied to the 4e ritual for summoning mounts, and maybe use more elaborate mechanics - maybe only the first time (like attunement) - you could make it cheaper, more heroic and more desirable in story that way.

Basically magic could avoid obviating the need for the cool heroic martial dude if it enables (ie like the badass magic item that really requires a martial hero to use). We who are calling for balance are saying the system needs to be careful of obviating that need and generally I do not think this has been done broadly.

WRT the Wrestling of Death. What if it was knowledge which enabled that wrestling with death ie I know an herb that can let you cure disease and even raise the recently dead - but you have to be a physical bad ass to use it because of the constitution requirement and maybe it doesnt have to be athletics you use to challenge death with (a high con bard could then use his performance) or a con-man rogue use his deception or whatever - it might take nothing but nature skill to know of it. Having arcana do almost everything in rituals was I think a mistake.

But honestly that goes out the window when a caster can just do it with mid level spell. So yes this balancing is very dependent on the magic system.

Heck I want magic with complications and such because it evoke the better fantasy fiction magic that is less about wanting balance than a message of feel of it being badass.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
3) Regarding parley and Geas on the commander/engineer, this is an area of disagreement that you and I have. (a) I don't feel like NPCs that are predispositioned toward giving the PCs no chance at functional parley are helpful to play. I always want PCs to remain somewhat open/unfixed and then I'll take the lead from the PCs in approach and, if parley, we'll take the lead on "what happens" from some adjudication on context and the action resolution mechanics.

My daughter wants to get those NPCs to talk and as potential allies all the time even a lone goblin but that Dragon needs taken out (it was killing her friends at the elven city - gathering its hoard of all silver)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
And those weren't even the 1e-based solutions I was thinking of! :)

I was thinking more along the lines of making casting very interruptable (even being attacked while casting in 1e wrecked the spell, whether the attacker rolled well enough to hit you or not; and taking damage from any source while casting would also wreck a spell) and making it take longer - i.e. reintroducing the idea of casting times - to provide in effect a window of interruption. Do away with and completely ban anything even remotely resembling 'combat casting'. Force casters to roll to aim their spells if cast under pressure or in combat (not RAW 1e; this one's a houserule we brought in decades ago).

Multi-action casting is one flavor that could be brought back while still enabling combat magic. It also can include casting with implications.

For instance

I am spending one round only defending myself and preparing the magic (forgoing opportunity attacks even then the next round I have some boom boom) - or that is too severe give them 1 round with only basic attacks and opportunity ones.

Or I cast a boom boom and the next round I am relatively disabled (or have whatever side effect appropriate for the kind of magic)

Or combine the two and get
build up - boom boom boom - after shock

Spell interruption with such a scarce resource wasn't fun to a lot of people and didnt represent a fantasy they wanted so it changed. I do think there was ideas in and around that which can be used.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldarc

Legend
Lanefan, you have given me a lot to chew on. For the sake of readability, I hope you don't mind if I break up your response into separate posts. This may alleviate having too much of a wall-of-text style post.

I was thinking more along the lines of making casting very interruptable (even being attacked while casting in 1e wrecked the spell, whether the attacker rolled well enough to hit you or not; and taking damage from any source while casting would also wreck a spell) and making it take longer - i.e. reintroducing the idea of casting times - to provide in effect a window of interruption. Do away with and completely ban anything even remotely resembling 'combat casting'.
This depends on how you do it. I could see spell interruption being needlessly complex, slowing down play, or being frustrating/punitive for mages. And wizards like to blast in combat. But this would likely not really be an issue outside of combat, where some of our discussion regarding fighter vs. wizard non-combat game engagement has been about.

Force casters to roll to aim their spells if cast under pressure or in combat (not RAW 1e; this one's a houserule we brought in decades ago). Bring back bouncing lightning and expanding fireball to make these spells dangerous again.
This is the sort of thing that hurts non-casters more since they are more likely to be on the receiving end of a wizard's folly.

Put wizard-types back to a d4 to make 'em squishier, and if low-level survival is too much of a problem then give 'em two dice at 1st level like 1e Rangers used to have.
I don't particularly like my mages that squishy. Never really enjoyed or felt comfortable playing them until the d6 change happened. I would probably prefer scaling back their magic - the real culprit rather than their HP total - in proportion to them having a d6 HD.

By the way, rarely exceeding 8th level isn't new. :) (though I thought the general upper limit was more like 12th-ish, as that's about where a lot of AP's end you up)
My impression has been though that the APs have considerably sped up the leveling process so that more players can "taste" higher levels but in a compressed play time. But my table has not used the APs, so I cannot say for certain.

Actually, I kinda could imagine that. It would take some serious tweakage to avoid casters running out of new stuff at level-up around 10th level, but it could be done.
I don't presume the same spell progression speed here. One could slow down the spell acquisition progress and provide mages with some other benefits, perhaps similar to warlock invocations, or some lore/support/social abilities. Or maybe they can learn to do other things with what spells they have.

There's a reason for that: fighters - and thieves/rogues, to some extent - are seen as being much more grounded in reality. People want to be able to relate to these classes in a much more straightforward way than they do (or can) to clerics and wizards, who are demonstrably different from our known reality.
Sure, but one problem is that this can effectively lead to D&D simulating different fantasy subgenres for the fighter and wizard respectively such that they are seemingly playing two different games with two different, if not opposing, views of the world and its inhabitants.

For all its faults, I do think that 4e presented a more coherent and consistent worldview for everyone playing in this shared World Axisverse. The warriors, mages, priests, and thieves all gradually become mythic as they engage a mythic universe. And this is also one reason why - regardless of any feelings I possess towards the particular 4e mechanics - I adore what 4e accomplished towards that end. That coherent vision for the world and its classes makes me still want to play 4e.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The fighting man was only relevant IF the dm played the gentlemen's agreement to not attack the wizard first AND those spell interrupts only worked if the DM actually did have NPCs try and interrupt the caster hence the ignoring the fighter...

Many dms chose not to have npcs act that way even if it made sense and even if it was supposed to limit the wizard as it wasn't fun having a very limited resource and having it wasted with any frequency. Its directly related to the complaints when people talk about spell failure too.

Just porting things from the earlier editions as they were would be rather short sighted about why they changed (when they were not accomplishing what they intended but rather something else) and sometimes how they fit in the context (sort of the opposite).

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I feel like 5e took away some tools which had a lot of potential. (skill challenges are one of those - since they are a DM facing element this affects lot fewer people than not having a Druid or Bard or Barbarian in the players handbook ...aka in my opinion a definite error in 4e - just as I feel not taking the Warlord tactician/strategist seriously for 5e was a mistake, Battlemaster isn't it even if it could be)
As a chaotic-aligned player I have no use for a class whose primary function in combat seems to be to tell other characters what to do. :)

One manner that magic has improved and could be improved more is if it many times were an enabler for things of the martial vein.

If a caster can summon a bunch of automatically controlled flying critters its meh... but if he summons them and they have to be trained with a struggle featuring athletics it gives weight to the martial hero. (which yes can be accomplished by a more generalist character too but eh). This could be applied to the 4e ritual for summoning mounts, and maybe use more elaborate mechanics - maybe only the first time (like attunement) - you could make it cheaper, more heroic and more desirable in story that way.

Basically magic could avoid obviating the need for the cool heroic martial dude if it enables (ie like the badass magic item that really requires a martial hero to use). We who are calling for balance are saying the system needs to be careful of obviating that need and generally I do not think this has been done broadly.
You might be vaguely on to something here. The risk to watch out for is taking it too far, and making wizards nothing more than support characters. Clerics already fill that support role, and in large part due to that have historically been less popular to play.

WRT the Wrestling of Death. What if it was knowledge which enabled that wrestling with death ie I know an herb that can let you cure disease and even raise the recently dead - but you have to be a physical bad ass to use it because of the constitution requirement and maybe it doesnt have to be athletics you use to challenge death with (a high con bard could then use his performance) or a con-man rogue use his deception or whatever - it might take nothing but nature skill to know of it. Having arcana do almost everything in rituals was I think a mistake.
Interesting idea, that: putting a Con requirement on use of a herb. Then again, high-Con characters are in theory the least likely to need such a thing; it's the low-Con ones who tend to get badly hurt and-or killed more often and so having it work for them as well might be useful.

For coming back from death I'm more and more leaning towards making this a Cha element (spiritual strength and willpower) anyway, rather than Con.

Heck I want magic with complications and such because it evoke the better fantasy fiction magic that is less about wanting balance than a message of feel of it being badass.
So, badass but only when it works. Sounds cool!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Lanefan, you have given me a lot to chew on. For the sake of readability, I hope you don't mind if I break up your response into separate posts. This may alleviate having too much of a wall-of-text style post.
Fair enough. :)

This depends on how you do it. I could see spell interruption being needlessly complex, slowing down play, or being frustrating/punitive for mages. And wizards like to blast in combat.
First off, I don't care if it slows down play. And being frustrating/punitive for mages (and clerics, same applies there too) is exactly the goal; if they want to blast in combat then they have to take measures to conceal themselves first, or have a shield wall in front of them, or whatever.

But this would likely not really be an issue outside of combat, where some of our discussion regarding fighter vs. wizard non-combat game engagement has been about.
True, but in an earlier post I'd already pretty much conceded that fixing them out of combat is probably impossible, and suggested that it's mostly in combat where they can be reined in. My suggestions mirror that.

This is the sort of thing that hurts non-casters more since they are more likely to be on the receiving end of a wizard's folly.
Yep. And then the caster is going to be on the receiving end of the non-casters' anger......

I don't particularly like my mages that squishy. Never really enjoyed or felt comfortable playing them until the d6 change happened. I would probably prefer scaling back their magic - the real culprit rather than their HP total - in proportion to them having a d6 HD.
The problems with giving them more h.p. are twofold:

1. If they feel less vulnerable they're going to take more risks (good) and get away with it more often (bad). I quite like it that a mage can on average kill itself with its own blast spell (d4/level h.p. vs d6/level damage ends up not looking too good for the mage after a while) and thus has to be careful where said blast spells are put. :)
2. Unless h.p. are also increased for all the other classes, giving mages more h.p. just reduces the differentiation between classes overall. Front-liners are supposed to be the ones with all the starch; then second-liners (clerics and thieves/rogues); with mages as the squishy back-liners.

My impression has been though that the APs have considerably sped up the leveling process so that more players can "taste" higher levels but in a compressed play time. But my table has not used the APs, so I cannot say for certain.
I'm just going based on the APs I've read; the closest I've ever got to running one was to strip some bits out of PotA and adapt them for my own game. My experience with 1e is that we tend to top out around 10th-11th; with 3e it seems to be in the low-mid teens (both from my own observations and from what I've read here); and going by anecdotes in here roughly the same holds true for 4e and 5e in relative terms.

And it's not just APs that speed up levelling. Starting with 3e the whole system has sped up levelling to a rather ridiculous (in my view) extent. 1-20 in 18 months? 1-30 in a bit over a year? Bleah!

Sure, but one problem is that this can effectively lead to D&D simulating different fantasy subgenres for the fighter and wizard respectively such that they are seemingly playing two different games with two different, if not opposing, views of the world and its inhabitants.
And you know, I don't really mind that. If the fighter and the wizard end up seeing the world so differently that's an instant recipe from some interesting in-party dynamics and possible conflict.

And maybe this is part of what makes D&D D&D, that it manages to somehow conflate different fantasy subgenres and force them to fit together.

For all its faults, I do think that 4e presented a more coherent and consistent worldview for everyone playing in this shared World Axisverse. The warriors, mages, priests, and thieves all gradually become mythic as they engage a mythic universe. And this is also one reason why - regardless of any feelings I possess towards the particular 4e mechanics - I adore what 4e accomplished towards that end. That coherent vision for the world and its classes makes me still want to play 4e.
Hmmm...what you see as a coherent vision I see as quite incoherent indeed, mostly because of the mechanical differences between PCs and NPCs trying to inhabit the same fictional world. And minions.

Within the framework of the game being played, it's coherent; and for some that's enough. But as soon as you look beyond the at-the-table game and try to figure out how any of it would consistently fit into the greater game world, it kinda falls apart.

It did a nice job of bringing all the classes/PCs up together*, from heroic to mythic, as you say. My question is whether doing so was worth the sacrifices made in terms of class differentiation.

* - provided they were all the same level. One thing I really like about 1e-2e-5e is that the system can much more easily handle some PC level disparities within the party. Neither 3e nor 4e was good at this.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The fighting man was only relevant IF the dm played the gentlemen's agreement to not attack the wizard first AND those spell interrupts only worked if the DM actually did have NPCs try and interrupt the caster hence the ignoring the fighter...
What's this gentlemen's agreement you speak of? If the opponents are smart enough to recognize a caster when they see one, that caster is going to be target number one...which is exactly the same as how the PCs usually approach their opponents.

Many dms chose not to have npcs act that way even if it made sense and even if it was supposed to limit the wizard as it wasn't fun having a very limited resource and having it wasted with any frequency. Its directly related to the complaints when people talk about spell failure too.
And as has been shown on an ongoing basis including and since the release of 3e, the designers just haven't had the stones to stand up to these complainers and say "suck it up". Ditto for those DMs that pulled their punches so as to allow the wizard to win when it probably shouldn't have.

“Game time is of utmost importance. Failure to keep careful track of time expenditure by player characters will result in many anomalies in the game. The stricture of time is what makes recovery of hit points meaningful. Likewise, the time spent adventuring in wilderness areas removes concerned characters from their bases of operations – be they rented chambers or battlemented strongholds. Certainly the most important time strictures pertains to the manufacturing of magic items, for during the period of such activity no adventuring can be done. Time is also considered in gaining levels and learning new languages and more. All of these demands upon game time force choices upon player characters and likewise number their days of game life…YOU CAN NOT HAVE A MEANINGFUL CAMPAIGN IF STRICT TIME RECORDS ARE NOT KEPT.”

Per Gary Gygax Page 37 of the 1E DMG.

Now this is stated in rather extreme terms, because Gygax. But, it is still true to my experience of D&D, and how the game is designed in the strict use of the rules. The resource game relies on this, and if you don't use the rules as intended then it won't work as intended. And that can be fun, but it doesn't mean the rules don't work as intended when used as intended.

Just a couple things here. Understand that I don't take offense to the above. I just want to make sure you have context for what I write so neither of us waste the other's time with unhelpful responses.

1) Gygax's DMG and the redbox were what got me started playing this game. I ran AD&D and BECMI/RC from 1984 through 1999 (so 15 years) to something of the tune of 5000 + hours Gamesmastering. Just an absurd amount of time. Further still, in the years since, I've run plenty of Basic, plenty of Beyond the Wall, plenty of Torchbearer, and some more AD&D for dungeon crawl spurts.

As such, I couldn't be more familiar with orthodox hexcrawl and dungeon crawl procedures for content generation, game management, and objective refereeing. So I'm very familiar with the type of granular accounting (spatial units and temporal units) required (which is why I invoked it). I just don't enjoy that mental overhead anymore. You can appreciate the relevance of something without enjoying it (as is the case here).

2) You've related a few times about how you feel either scenario or adjudication favored the Diviner. In the particular situation I cited, the home GM of that game (whose rules and procedures I would respectfully abide by when I would stand in for him) runs 30 minute Short Rests (rather than 1 hour or the 5 optional in the DMG). Tongues was cast somewhere in the vicinity of 5ish minutes before the beginning of our session (my best guess as the parlay failed and combat ensued and resolved). They took a Short Rest (so
30 minutes is a hard number I know). They investigated the Hoverpods, got one working for their efforts, and flew up to the mother ship; perhaps 10 + 2 for flight or 12ish minutes. Air combat was resolved inside of a minute as was the significant combat inside of the ship. Lets just call that 2ish minutes together. The puzzle to get into the ship? That is the most difficult one to account for (and what we haggled over at the table). We're at 49 minutes total right now. Was it 5 minutes? Was it 8 minutes? Was it 11 minutes? Was it 15. I definitely don't think it was the 1st or the last, so somewhere in the middle. I'm not going to belabor over it too long at the table and bring the game to a screeching halt. I'm going to come up with an equittable ruling and move along (even though they disagreed); Tongues through the encounter but no longer.

What are you advocating for (procedurally or conversation at the table)?

3) This isn't the post I quoted above, but somewhere else you noted that you tried to run D&D 4e in a traditional way and were disappointed. That makes sense because 4e is a game where the locus of play is the conflict-charged scene (like Fate, Cortex+, Dogs in the Vineyard, Blades in the Dark). If you try to run a game that features discrete scenes (and expressly directs you to "go to the action"; "skip the gate guards and get to the fun") as a game of serial (spatially and temporally) exploration, its going to push back against you (and in some places, quite hard).

If I transliterated the scenario I conveyed above into 4e, it would be SIGNIFICANTLY different. You would have superheroic genre logic. You would have Closed-Scene as the exclusive locus of play trajectory. You wouldn't have serial accounting for time and space in the way. There wouldn't be serial exploration, a keyed map, or Exploration Turns that are pressured by a Wandering Monster/Random Encounter Clock, and there wouldn't be any "win condition" spells. My guess is it would be:

Skill Challenge Level + 2 Complexity 1; parley
Level + 3 Combat (arising from failure above)
Skill Challenge Level + 0 Complexity 2; to get into the ship (including the air combat at the ship's hull as a nested combat for an accrued Success or Failure)
Level + 5 Combat
Skill Challenge Level + 2 Complexity 3; to locate The Time Reaper and disable it
Skill Challenge Level + 0 Complexity 1; parley with the engineer/commander
Level + 7 Combat with The Harvester

I could throw together a speculative series of action declarations, resolution, and scene evolution that I think may be instructive as to the differences if that would help you.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
So your argument is that 13 year old children learning how to cast spells with broken wands cant cast spells? Ah huh.

Well its true that they aren't the kind of people who would go on adventures to thwart and eventually destroy a powerful dark wizard like D&D characters would....oh wait, they do.

And of course you have some spells that some wizards can not cast, that is why you have a percentage chance to learn spells afterall. And when Harry learns to cast his Patronus he never fails to cast his Patronus.

Not correct. When defending his brother in the tunnel, he fails once (at least) before getting it right. I don't have a real problem with a chance to learn spells.

Yes, some people are weak minded and can be mind controlled. Some people are not and cant be. It was not the Force that failed.

Luke can not levitate his XWing before he was trained in the force and then after he was trained he levitated his XWing. I find in Starwars that its only the Mary Sue characters that can use the Force without training.

Kinda like Harry and his friends, its not like he wasn't adventuring.

I think you are right, the Librarian could have been a result of a miscast spell but the only reason they did not change him back was that being an Orangutan was much better for his job.

Right...

But really the Discworld wizards cast magic all the time, they even summon up Death at the proverbial drop of the hat. In fact Wizards are so proficient at magic that they need to use non-magical ways to try and work their way up the magical pyramid.

Ritual magic seems to be more reliable in Discworld, that's true. (I would also add that the wizards' attitude toward using magic in general seems to change a bit over the course of the series, depending on narrative needs. To my eye, things seemed to change a bit after Sourcery, and then drift back.)

It has been so many years since I have read those books but if I was to guess it was a student casting a spell that he was specifically told not to try to cast?

He also comments that he's not confident in his abilities when trying to calm the earthquakes in the labyrinth. Casting in Earthsea is regularly portrayed as very tricky business, even if you the right magic words. (Although, IIRC, its a little unclear if the casting is all basically impromptu or not.) Word of God has it that that was part of the point of the novels, that there are consequences for working magic.

They are very similar to DnD magic, their magic never fails. It is always reliable. Circe never hilariously fails to turn sailors into pigs.

I think its unclear whether that's a ritual or not.

Gandalf never fails to cast his spells, Bilbos sword never fails to detect Goblins, the One ring never sometimes makes its wearer invisible. You could go on and on.

I'm not sure why the sword or ring's performance matters when we are talking about reliable casting. However, Gandalf isn't human, and as one Reddit user commented, its unclear whether he's casting spells or just using is innate Maiar ability to tell physics to shut up and sit down. (Possibly aided by the Ring of Fire, as well.)

It would not "break" DnD, it would be a ridiculously niche version of DnD that, as I have shown, would be inconsistent with over 40 years of fantasy literature.

While I disagree, I'm not sure this is a profitable conversation anymore. The reliability of magic/casting is a matter of choice for authors, and varies.

Good gaming, either way.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads