D&D 5E Ascending to Godhood for Dummies

TheNoremac42

Explorer
So, I rolled a half-orc conquest paladin the other day, and I decided that my ultimate goal for him will be to eventually ascend to godhood.

Go big or go home, right?

Anyway, I've been trying to think of ways how he would accomplish such a feat. The first hurtle he would likely need to get over would be the whole mortality bit. He's not getting any younger, and I imagine becoming a deity would take quite a bit of time. Undeath is an option, but most routes (such as becoming a death knight or a vampire) would involve him becoming the subordinate of another being, which would be counter intuitive for his goals. The second option would be to petition Gruumsh or some other deity for agelessness in return for, or as a reward for, service. Option three would be to carve a bloody path through the Nine Hells, knock on Asmodeus's door, and petition for immortality in exchange for a future alliance in the Blood War once he achieves godhood.

As for actually acquiring the divinity, the best idea I've had was for him to hunt down celestials based on the logic that since they are direct creations of the gods they must have some divine "energy" in them. He would absorb their divine essence through either some ritual or straight up eating the thing's heart. It would start with a lowly couatl(?) and end with an empyrean, after which his divine spark will manifest and he will reach Divine Rank 0.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
It's often posited that gods need worship to "feed" themselves, so being a conqueror, you could simply conquer everyone and force them to worship you at swordpoint. After some point you might turn into a real god.

On a more surefire path, the Infinity Spindle can turn someone (or something) into a Demigod, which is a good starting point. Though the trick to that would be finding Raxivort and stealing it from him. And good luck with that, every Xvart in existence serves as a false positive on his location for detection magic.

Alternatively, you could try to succeed where Irenicus failed: Find some fledgling godling, and rip out it's divine spirit to claim for your own.

Last edited:

E

Elderbrain

Some goals to pursue: Obtain worshipers. With enough worshipers you can become divine in some systems. If you had access to high-level Polymorph spells, you could even create your own worshipers by turning objects into people. Using spells in front of naive people may persuade them that you are a god... Immortality can be obtained by taking the Epic Boon that grants it - in the meantime, keep chugging those Potions of Longevity... some Artifacts may be able to help you. Creatures do not age on the Astral, so you may want to go there until you find a long-term solution. As a Paladin, I presume you worship some god or other, and you could petition said god for a promotion to demigod status.

Sadras

Legend
I have a PC at my table that is attempting to revive their dead deity (both PC and deity are not so nice). The twist near the end will be (if we get there), that the PC will eventually have a choice of either igniting the divine spark for the deity whose dormant essence is being fed on (The Lich's Queen's Beloved - the One in the Void) or using such spark to propel himself to immortality or neither :)

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
So, I rolled a half-orc conquest paladin the other day, and I decided that my ultimate goal for him will be to eventually ascend to godhood.

Go big or go home, right?

Anyway, I've been trying to think of ways how he would accomplish such a feat. The first hurtle he would likely need to get over would be the whole mortality bit. He's not getting any younger, and I imagine becoming a deity would take quite a bit of time. Undeath is an option, but most routes (such as becoming a death knight or a vampire) would involve him becoming the subordinate of another being, which would be counter intuitive for his goals. The second option would be to petition Gruumsh or some other deity for agelessness in return for, or as a reward for, service. Option three would be to carve a bloody path through the Nine Hells, knock on Asmodeus's door, and petition for immortality in exchange for a future alliance in the Blood War once he achieves godhood.

As for actually acquiring the divinity, the best idea I've had was for him to hunt down celestials based on the logic that since they are direct creations of the gods they must have some divine "energy" in them. He would absorb their divine essence through either some ritual or straight up eating the thing's heart. It would start with a lowly couatl(?) and end with an empyrean, after which his divine spark will manifest and he will reach Divine Rank 0.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?
What you've set out sounds fun to me!

Talk to your DM. If you're playing in a homebrew campaign, that's the person who can tell you what one needs to do to achieve godhood.
Why would the GM not just follow the player's lead?

Remove ads