D&D General Baldur's Gate 3 Hates Religion (Spoilers)

Zardnaar

Legend
For me? It's the perennial difference between Star Wars and Star Trek.

Star Trek is science fiction. Star Wars is fantasy in space.

The difference can be subtle for some people. But it's like... in the Orig Trig the Force was practically magic that a religion had been built around. Rogue One carried that forward -really- well. As did the Rey Saga. They don't try to ground the magic in the world it just -is- what you need it to be.

A lot of the books did the same thing. As did the games and comics. The Force worked the way it does because that's the way the Force works.

The prequels coming up with Midichlorians felt like trying to Trek the Wars. Trying to invent a science to explain away the magic and make it less Fantasy and more Sci-Fi. In that regard it was a betrayal not of what had been written... but of Genre.

Midichlorians being the true "Source of the Force" or the way people are able to interact with the Force doesn't change anything Mara Jade did, or invalidate anything. She's still the same character with the same stories and interactions.

So it doesn't erase anything to have Midichlorians. It just feels like an unnecessary touch which tries to make things less magical when the magicalness was part of the appeal.

While I get what you're saying, here, it's perhaps the greatest example of Retconning in the history of the world that we ABSOLUTELY CANNOT DISCUSS on these boards.

So I'll ask we drop the real-world-religious references, please.

George had an idea where he was going with it. It's just not a great idea at first glance.

Mandalorian has made the concept somewhat interesting. There's room in Star Wars for mad science and horror elements.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
George had an idea where he was going with it. It's just not a great idea at first glance.

Mandalorian has made the concept somewhat interesting. There's room in Star Wars for mad science and horror elements.
There was always room in the books. Just not so much on the screen. And, hey... if they can pull it off I'll watch the heck out of it!

Just hope they don't dive headfirst into technobabble and lose the magic along the way.

Zardnaar

Legend
There was always room in the books. Just not so much on the screen. And, hey... if they can pull it off I'll watch the heck out of it!

Just hope they don't dive headfirst into technobabble and lose the magic along the way.

Little bit of techno babble in Star Wars is fine but don't go to far into it. Plagues, Sith alchemy, cloning type stuff.

Staffan

Legend
You know, I never understood the hate towards Midichlorians. I don't think it removes any of the mystery. Cells produce a strange force, and people with more of these special cells are able to better touch the force.
My headcanon is that the midichlorians are not the source of force sensitivity but rather an indicator. Much like you will find anthills on the south side of trees (in the northern hemisphere), because that's where the sun shines more, you will find midichlorians in the blood of force-sensitive people, because that's where the midichlorians thrive.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
My headcanon is that the midichlorians are not the source of force sensitivity but rather an indicator. Much like you will find anthills on the south side of trees (in the northern hemisphere), because that's where the sun shines more, you will find midichlorians in the blood of force-sensitive people, because that's where the midichlorians thrive.
Or maybe like Force antibodies, where you can detect the Force because midichlorians are formed in the blood of living beings where it is present.

Viconia -could- be argued to have emotional weight since there are players who worked so hard to get her to become True Neutral in the other BG games. BUT. Her relationship with Shar was never central to that conflict or important to that particular story. They are well within their rights, of course, to be angry that they put all that effort into the character only for her to become a generic kidnapping sociopath antagonist in BG3 whose whole purpose is to be a punchable manifestation of Shadowheart's toxic relationship with Shar for a BG3 player's catharsis.

Yeah, Larian did her really dirty (brings to mind Sylvanas Windrunner's similar butchering). While I like BG3 as a whole there are some MAJOR narrative missteps.

There are at least FIVE different spells that could save Karlach from the Engine, in-universe, but Larian doesn't even acknowledge any of them. Reincarnation is actually under the spell level cap of sixth. This is contrived as all Nine Hells!

Also, those classic memes of "but I can fix her"? Yeah, that kind of happens to Lae'zel. She mellows out WAY too far if you romance her. It's jarring.

Apologies, I am ranting now.

Necropolitan

Adventurer
There are at least FIVE different spells that could save Karlach from the Engine, in-universe, but Larian doesn't even acknowledge any of them. Reincarnation is actually under the spell level cap of sixth. This is contrived as all Nine Hells!
And if you defeat the final boss Mystra should owe you a favor! The literal goddess of magic! She could even send a Chosen to cast Wish if she's too busy to do a Miracle. Elminster could fix the infernal engine problem in less than a minute (literally, the spell has a casting time of 1 action) and then go back to whatever he was doing (creating future paternity suits knowing him).

Remove ads