First Impressions – Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica

A segment of the Dungeons & Dragons' fan base have been clamoring for setting releases and while Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica won't appease those who want a 5th Edition update of an older setting like Greyhawk, Planescape or Spelljammer, it is a fresh setting that Wizards of the Coast clearly hopes will bring the Magic the Gathering crowd to D&D.

So what's my first impression of Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica? Fresh and familiar at the same time. Now don't take that as an insult MtG players. This is a first impression article. A more nuanced review will follow after I have read the entire book. This is based on an overall skim of the book and reading of selected passages.

For any veteran D&D player, Ravnica is new but has enough overlap with classic D&D that it won't be a shock to the system. For example, races include humans, elves, goblins, minotaurs and centaurs along with new-to-D&D races Vedalken and Simic Hybrid. Charts break down which classes work best with the 10 guilds, though you can be guildless.

Ravnica is a fantasy world with the magical technology flavor of Eberron. That's not to say it's derivitive of Eberron. Both settings offer modern conveniences through magic but get there and express them in different ways.

The introduction and first three chapters focus, understandably, on Ravnica as a setting and how to create a character and it gives you a lot of meat with which to work. Chapter 4 is about creating adventures, with some broad adventure ideas at the start of the chapter and then each guild section has more adventure hooks, specific to that group. I like the “Cross Purposes” charts and “Complications” for ways to make a villain affect the players without doing a blanket “you have to stop X” approach. It feels more organic. Having done similar things in my own home games for D&D and other RPGs, it can work really well.

Guild intrigue is, of course, a part of the adventure seeds. With 10 guilds and Ravnica's backstory, including the broken Guildpact and how things function now that it's been restored, intrigue really should be a key story driver in Ravnica adventures.

One odd note for those who might buy Ravnica on D&D Beyond is that you really want to tap the “View Welcome” button on the upper right instead of diving directly into chapter 1 and the rest of the leftside sidebar links. “View Welcome” actually takes you to the book's Introduction, which has a LOT of useful, downright essential, material for anyone new to Ravnica and even MtG players wanted to learn how the popular setting has been adapted to D&D. It covers everything from the history of Ravnica, both in-game and as part of MtG, to its currency and calendar.

Obviously readers of the physical book will naturally go to this essential chapter and all of the D&D Beyond editions of the hardcover books have the “View Welcome” button that separates the introduction from the chapters, but it's an odd layout issue. I handed my tablet to a friend who has played both MtG and D&D for years but never used D&D Beyond, and he was confused by the lack of introduction until I pointed out the “View Welcome” button.

I like the precinct by precinct breakdown in Chapter 3. The people and rumors tables in each section are a nice way of adding flavor, misdirects and possible adventure hooks as your players wander the city of Ravnica.

The art is very good and provides the context for this new (to D&D) world. It as much as anything helps to set a different tone than Forgotten Realms' adventures.

Really, I'm going to pay Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica the highest compliment I can in a first impressions article – that I can't wait to dive in and read the entire book.

This article was contributed by Beth Rimmels (brimmels) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. If you enjoy the daily news and articles from EN World, please consider contributing to our Patreon!!

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

D

DQDesign

I uploaded my last DMsGuild products just some minutes ago, and I confirm that up to now the setting is not available for DMsGuild development.
I will not buy the book until wotc opens it on the Guild. This means that I will not buy it at all if they don't open it.

As far as guildless characters go, the book says that about half the population is guildless, and usually belong to the "rural" population, or take up professions that wouldn't be covered by the guilds, such as bakers, cartographers, traders, bar tenders, and university professors. Additionally, some criminal gangs and mercenary groups are guildless. That said, aside from a paragraph in the character creation and a sidebar in the guilds chapter, it'd be very easy to assume that every. single. person. in Ravnica was in a guild, as that's all the book talks about. No matter what you read about, the book finds a way to fit a guild into it.

That's pretty similar to Planescape, to be honest. The way the books were written, you'd be forgiven for thinking that every person, rock, and tree in the planes was part of a Faction.

Rossbert

Explorer
That seems somewhat fair, if the point of the setting is the interplay between and the internal goals of the factions, you don't really need a lot of description on the people who have no influence.

It can be fun to talk about Joe the baker who keeps getting his bakery tossed because be isn't paying his protection money, but the 'plot' of his story is that you have to deal with the faction threatening him.

D

DQDesign

Out of curiosity, why?

Because I think that DMs Guild is the best innovative element in 5th edition D&D, a real game changer in the industry (evidence of that is the flourishing of dozens of similar programs, including WOIN syndicate, for example). So I will not spend my money on products which are not used as a basis to expand, empower and widen the program.

I would re-consider that approach only in case of a significant change in wotc communication strategy, i.e. a serious improvement in their transparence level. For example, I could re-consider buying a not-supported DMs Guild setting if they would explain why they decided not to open the setting on the guild.

Summarising, if information are not given, I'll stick with what I like and drop the rest (I'm little bit tired of guessing).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Because I think that DMs Guild is the best innovative element in 5th edition D&D, a real game changer in the industry (evidence of that is the flourishing of dozens of similar programs, including WOIN syndicate, for example). So I will not spend my money on products which are not used as a basis to expand, empower and widen the program.

Did you buy D&D books before DMs Guild existed?

D

DQDesign

Did you buy D&D books before DMs Guild existed?

Yes... why?
Anyway at that time I focused more on 3rd party products with the largest possible amount of open content because at that time I considered OGL being the best thing in the industry.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yes... why?

Because it occurs to me, as an ironically curious consequence of that, that if WotC’s goal was hypothetically to sell books to you specifically, opening the DMsG has therefore lost them sales rather than gained them.

D

DQDesign

Because it occurs to me, as an ironically curious consequence of that, that if WotC’s goal was hypothetically to sell books to you specifically, opening the DMsG has therefore lost them sales rather than gained them.

As I said, it is mostly due to their low level of transparence. And, also if my products don't sell so much on the guild, with the 50% share wotc already gained much more from me than selling a single one shot book.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases