Spellbooks, Spells, and the Number of Pages

What level do you need to be to fill up a 100 page book if it is 1 page per spell.

1 page per level of the spell, nor just 1 page per spell, so a level 1 spell uses 1 page and a level 9 spell uses 9 pages. Depending on how quickly a DM allows a PC Mage to acquire new spells, a 20th level mage could have several full spell books, definitely more than one each for just the higher level spells.

TallIan

Explorer
What level do you need to be to fill up a 100 page book if it is 1 page per spell.

Theoretically a 3rd level Wizard could fill 98 pages just from just the PHB spell list. There are 30 level 1 spells and 34 level 2 spells.

If you go with just the spells gained as you level (assuming you always take the max level), a 13th level Wizard should need 102 pages in their spell book.

Theoretically a 3rd level Wizard could fill 98 pages just from just the PHB spell list. There are 30 level 1 spells and 34 level 2 spells.

If you go with just the spells gained as you level (assuming you always take the max level), a 13th level Wizard should need 102 pages in their spell book.

Thanks, I didn't want to do the math to answer this :)

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ

I think that's why I always hated that rule--it requires higher level characters to carry around multiple spellbooks if they want to memorize/prepare their spells. :/

TallIan

Explorer
Thanks, I didn't want to do the math to answer this

Always a pleasure ;P

I think that's why I always hated that rule--it requires higher level characters to carry around multiple spellbooks if they want to memorize/prepare their spells. :/

I think that like any bookkeeping in an RPG it depends what you want to do. I know some people LOVE to keep track of every morsel of food, fletching and sock their character carries. But that rule makes for a handy guide, that can be ignored if you have an adventuring wizard who only has a limited selection of spells (2/ level) or used to gauge the size of a wizard's great library of hundreds of spells, stored away in his tower.

The bright side of having spells in multiple books is, if one gets stolen, it might just be the one filled with all your level 1 and 3 spells. But you still have your level 4-9 spells!

Unless you organize your books by category: “oh no, my book of buffs is gone! Looks like I’m going straight offense until I get it back!”

The bright side of having spells in multiple books is, if one gets stolen, it might just be the one filled with all your level 1 and 3 spells. But you still have your level 4-9 spells!

Unless you organize your books by category: “oh no, my book of buffs is gone! Looks like I’m going straight offense until I get it back!”

Where do you keep your level 2 spells? *G*

Remove ads