Nentir Vale Coming to Dungeons and Dragons

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
I think another thing Mearls is undoing about the Dawn Cosmology is the Primal Spirit. Kord can't run around challenging mortals to arm wrestling in traditional NV because he is kept out by the Primal Spirit. I always like the "Primal" path idea, for druids, especially.
Well, both Melora and Kord are considered Primal Spirits by the Primal Spirits (according to the Primal Power sourcebook). But, I don't think Mearls has taken that into account.

WirC President said in a recent interview that there are something like seven thousand groups actively livestreaming now. WotC is supporting dozens directly on their own channel. Seems in their best interest to get all this IP out there.
Ravenloft is my jam, though. So I’m excited.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ravenloft is my jam, though. So I’m excited.

No doubt; nothing against it, just seems like good sense for them to get everyone's jam out there.

Putting out a quality stream shown first might be better for the setting than a book, in terms of getting new people on board.

dave2008

Legend
Yeah, that's nice. Will definitely help anyone trying to play in NV using 5e (don't forget, the 4e pantheon is detailed in the DMG, folks... :))

FYI, that's the "Dawn War Pantheon" in the DMG, not the 4e pantheon. :)

Remember 4e Forgotten Realms and Eberron had their own pantheons.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My preferences are for about a further 20% detail;) I like 4e and POL (despite not playing in Nentir vale - we played in POL version of Mystara). But I have two slight issues with POL and Nentir vale as written. One is a question of realism - where do the people in Fallcrest get their food and survive if kobold colonies are 10 miles away? Another is the the stakes in POL - I think the 'lights' have to really shine and be worth the PCs frighting for. I am not sure they do in Nentir vale setting. Would anybody miss Fallcrest if it fell?

So yeah I think a good campaign in a POL mind set is great - but I think Mearls takes pushes it away from what I prefer form POL setting.

This is a problem that comes up a lot for me in "psuedo-dark ages means life should be super dangerous" games. The actual dark ages weren't nearly as dark as such games want to be, but they don't account for the difference in terms of how people actually life their daily lives.

You would. You were born there. You grew up there. You have family and loved ones there. Who else will save your home town on the frontier borders of a dead, back-broken empire if not you?
This. Also, points of light games assume that the PCs are either heroes, daredevils with a treasure itch, or both. With heroes, its easy to imagine why they're saving Fallcrest. Like, should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway. You save Fallcrest because innocent people will die if you don't, and that is all the reason heroes need.

I think another thing Mearls is undoing about the Dawn Cosmology is the Primal Spirit. Kord can't run around challenging mortals to arm wrestling in traditional NV because he is kept out by the Primal Spirit. I always like the "Primal" path idea, for druids, especially.

I hope not. You certainly can have the Primal Spirits without them keeping the gods out of the world, though, so Im not too worried about it.

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
This is a problem that comes up a lot for me in "psuedo-dark ages means life should be super dangerous" games. The actual dark ages weren't nearly as dark as such games want to be, but they don't account for the difference in terms of how people actually life their daily lives.

Well, you have to take into account that 4e designers didn't wanted to emulate real world cultures when they were creating the default "D&D world" for 4e (they talk in deep about this in 4e preview books). In fact, they were actively trying to avoid such tropes. That's why the non-human races became relevant in the backstory of the world, something really rare in the usually humanocentric lore of classic D&D settings.

So, they weren't trying to emulate a true freel of actual dark ages real world. They just wanted a fantasy world with a bit of medieval feeling.

E

Elderbrain

FYI, that's the "Dawn War Pantheon" in the DMG, not the 4e pantheon. :)

Remember 4e Forgotten Realms and Eberron had their own pantheons.

- Right, sorry, that's what I meant, the Dawn War pantheon. The FR and Eberron pantheons are in the PHB.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases