Nentir Vale Coming to Dungeons and Dragons

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
Bane's aspects got stated in Dragon 372, Tiamat and Bahamut in the Draconomicons (plus Tiamat also gots stats for the final adventure of the Scales of War adventure path), Lolth in Monster Manual 3, Vecna in Open Grave, and Torog in Underdark. I don't remember from where Moradin got stats... Perhaps the miniatures game?

Also, it's worth mentioning that Avandra, Vecna and Bahamut (in his guise of the old man with the canaries most of the time) are said to wander the World, even with the primal spirits' ban. I wonder how they managed it...

EDIT:
Moradin's aspect is from one the final adventures in Scales of War.

Last edited:

Zeromaru X

Edit: I also want to agree that that Bane article was really good. For an edition that didn't "officially" have LN (admittedly with evil tendencies), he really came across as an excellent example of that. After reading the article, I adjusted how I ran the setting so that merchants and farmers were actually happier in hobgoblin-controlled areas then in most human-controlled areas. Although the hobbies were cruel when you violated the law, they didn't tolerate violations of discipline among themselves, so a hobgoblin wouldn't randomly appropriate your stuff, and if he did and you reported it (which you could actually do without fear of reprisal as long as the hobgoblin was judged guilty), the hobgoblin could be imprisoned or tortured.

That article had a similar effect in my table as well. I made goblinoids less of enemy monsters and more uneasy neighbors after reading this article. Like, yeah, some goblins will raid and pillage, but Bane-worshiping goblins are legal guys that respect boundaries if you respect theirs, and will even commerce and that stuff with the peoples of my version of Nentir Vale.

I also put Bane among the gods worshiped by common folk. Like, he was the god of town guards and soldierly people who protected the Vale.

Aldarc

Legend
Maybe the ban prevents the gods from exhibiting their fullpower on the planet, so gods get around this by having weakened versions of their avatars and such on the planet?

dave2008

Legend
Bane's aspects got stated in Dragon 372, Tiamat and Bahamut in the Draconomicons (plus Tiamat also gots stats for the final adventure of the Scales of War adventure path), Lolth in Monster Manual 3, Vecna in Open Grave, and Torog in Underdark. I don't remember from where Moradin got stats... Perhaps the miniatures game?

Also, it's worth mentioning that Avandra, Vecna and Bahamut (in his guise of the old man with the canaries most of the time) are said to wander the World, even with the primal spirits' ban. I wonder how they managed it...

EDIT:
Moradin's aspect is from one the final adventures in Scales of War.

And here they are:

Aspect of Bane - The Imperator
Bane-aspect-Imperator.JPG

Aspect of Bane - The Centurion
Bane-aspect-Centurion.JPG

Aspect of Moradin (SoW #17)
Moradin-aspect.JPG

I really, really love the fact that people still remember that article so fondly. It's one of the ones I'm the most proud of. :D

But I do have to say...

I wouldn't have remembered Bane, but there were a couple of people trying to reverse engineer stat blocks for the gods based on the aspects on one of the more interesting WotC forum threads; they were a bit confounded by the two aspects having different roles.

At the risk of sounding a bit jerky, I'm delighted to hear this. I certainly didn't have any ulterior motive for including exarchs of two different roles--I just did what felt right for the god--but I'm glad they threw off these efforts. The exarchs were never meant to constrain the powers or shapes of the gods, or to represent a "lesser version" of any sort of "true form." :)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yes, you can, but it's quite another big change to the Nentir Vale cosmology.
I'm not sure I agree. As others pointed out, there were already gods running around in disguise in the NV, but more than that, I don't think it's a big deal to have some gods just pop down and hang out, but the PS keep them from exerting real power on the material plane.

I also put Bane among the gods worshiped by common folk. Like, he was the god of town guards and soldierly people who protected the Vale.
I may do the same in my world! And maybe in part of my Toril games.

I really, really love the fact that people still remember that article so fondly. It's one of the ones I'm the most proud of. :D

But I do have to say...

At the risk of sounding a bit jerky, I'm delighted to hear this. I certainly didn't have any ulterior motive for including exarchs of two different roles--I just did what felt right for the god--but I'm glad they threw off these efforts. The exarchs were never meant to constrain the powers or shapes of the gods, or to represent a "lesser version" of any sort of "true form." :)
What issue was it, if you remember? I have all of them from when I was a DDi subscriber, but I doubt I could find a specific article I apparently never read.

I wouldn't have remembered Bane, but there were a couple of people trying to reverse engineer stat blocks for the gods based on the aspects on one of the more interesting WotC forum threads; they were a bit confounded by the two aspects having different roles. Given that there were goblins, orcs, etc. with different roles, it shouldn't have been such a big deal, but god stat blocks were so rare that any blip was a big one....

Edit: I also want to agree that that Bane article was really good. For an edition that didn't "officially" have LN (admittedly with evil tendencies), he really came across as an excellent example of that. After reading the article, I adjusted how I ran the setting so that merchants and farmers were actually happier in hobgoblin-controlled areas then in most human-controlled areas. Although the hobbies were cruel when you violated the law, they didn't tolerate violations of discipline among themselves, so a hobgoblin wouldn't randomly appropriate your stuff, and if he did and you reported it (which you could actually do without fear of reprisal as long as the hobgoblin was judged guilty), the hobgoblin could be imprisoned or tortured.
That's a really interesting take on Hobs, and I'm gonna steal it. I finally have a take on hobs that makes me want to use them for something!

I already love goblins and bugbears, but Hobs have always kinda bored me.

Zeromaru X

Maybe is too soon to say this, but with the changes on Kiris Dahn we saw in chapter 2, it seems that 5e's version of the Nentir Vale is not the same of 4e's.

I mean, Kiris Dahn in chapter 2 was depicted way different as it was in "The Slaying Stone" adventure. Not only its depiction but also its backstory. Add this to what they did with the Raven Queen in Tome of Foes, and the retcon is pretty obvious....

Remove ads