Two Weapon Fighting (yeah, I know...)

Laurefindel

Legend
Boldly going where everyone and their dog has gone before, I'd like your opinion on a modification of the two-weapon fighting rules I'm cautiously exploring. Here it goes:

[sblock=original post]
Fighting With Two Weapons
When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand. To make an attack as a bonus action this way, both weapons used for these attacks must be light, or one of them must be a dagger. You don't add your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus attack, unless that modifier is negative.

Conversely, when you use your bonus action to make a attack with a weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can make another attack against the same creature with the weapon you are holding in the other hand. You don't add your ability modifier to the damage of this additional attack, unless that modifier is negative.

If either weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon, instead of making a melee attack with it.

There are two elements in this rule change:
"both light or one is a dagger" allows for rapier/dagger right of the bat without much increase in the average damage compared to a d6/d6 combo, and not just a pointlessly inferior combo to rapier/rapier.

The second part attempts to make TWF compatible with other sources of attacks as bonus action (like scimitar of speed, frenzy rage, extra attack from GWM etc) without completely removing the competition with other bonus actions.
[/sblock]

Take two.

Let forget about the "or must be a dagger" part for a moment to keep things clear.

Two-Weapon Fighting
When you're fighting with a weapon that you're holding in one hand and a different weapon in your other hand, the following rules apply:

- When you use a bonus action to make an attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can make an additional attack with a different light melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand.

- If you take the Attack action while holding a melee weapon that you're holding in one hand but do not possess the ability to make an attack with it as a bonus action, you can use your bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand.

- In either case, you don't add your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus attack made with the weapon held in the other hand, unless that modifier is negative.

- If either weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon, instead of making a melee attack with it.

Here's the reasoning behind all of this:

I'm cool with the fact that there should be an opportunity cost to use TWF in combat. The way I see it, making an additional attack with an "offhand weapon" should be yet another option of bonus action among all that are available to a character. For that reason, I'm hesitant to remove the "as a bonus action" part of TWF.

BUT, some of these options are already "make an additional attack as a bonus action", and it is in these situations that I feel that TWF doesn't feel as satisfying as other combat style. The dueling fighting style - and the advantage of wearing a shield - applies when attacks are made as a BA. The great weapon fighting style - and the advantage of having bigger damage dice - applies when attacks are made as a BA. The archery fighting style - and the advantage of being at range - applies when attacks are made as a BA. Even the defense and protection fighting styles are fully effective when attacks are made as a bonus action.

However, the benefits of the two-weapon fighting style - and of the TWF as a combat technique as a whole - becomes moot in the case of attacks made as a BA because you'd need another bonus action to take advantage of it.

Hence the "free" offhand attack when an melee weapon attack is made as a bonus action.

Question for RaW enthusiasts here: How "when you use your bonus action to make an attack with a weapon you are holding in one hand" applies to the monk's martial arts unarmed strikes? The goal is definitively not to give monks yet another attack...

Last edited:

Beowulf

First Post
What situation are you trying to cover in your second paragraph? As written it seems like you can attack with your mainhand (1d8), then attack with your offhand (1d4), and then attack again with your mainhand (1d8).

Is the second paragraph only meant to apply in specific circumstances?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Question for RaW enthusiasts here: How "when you use your bonus action to make an attack with a weapon you are holding in one hand" applies to the monk's martial arts unarmed strikes? The goal is definitively not to give monks yet another attack...
It doesn't. Unarmed Strikes are "melee weapon attacks," but they are not weapons.

Laurefindel

Legend
What situation are you trying to cover in your second paragraph? As written it seems like you can attack with your mainhand (1d8), then attack with your offhand (1d4), and then attack again with your mainhand (1d8).

Is the second paragraph only meant to apply in specific circumstances?

I'm struggling with the verbose, but here's the intention:

When you are TWF and get to make an attack as a bonus action with your "main" weapon*, you also get an extra attack with the "offhand" weapon.

So you attack with your mainhand (1d8), then attack again with you mainhand weapon (1d8) as a bonus action (because you have an ability that allows you to), then get a "free" attack with your offhand (1d4).

*there are a few ways to achieve that. The wielder of a scimitar of speed is allowed an additional attack as bonus action, and so does a hasted character. The first part of the GWM feat does not apply when wielding a one-handed weapon, but the second ability (the extra attack as BA on kill or crit) does. A frenzied barbarian also make an attack as BA. There are a few more, but that's what comes to mind atm. All of those are incompatible with TWF in RaW.

Last edited:

Beowulf

First Post
*there are a few ways to achieve that. The wielder of a scimitar of speed is allowed an additional attack as bonus action, and so does a hasted character. The first part of the GWM feat does not apply when wielding a one-handed weapon, but the second ability (the extra attack as BA on kill or crit) does. A frenzied barbarian also make an attack as BA. There are a few more, but that's what comes to mind atm. All of those are incompatible with TWF in RaW.

Ahhh....got it.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'm struggling with the verbose, but here's the intention:

When you are TWF and get to make an attack as a bonus action with your "main" weapon*, you also get an extra attack with the "offhand" weapon.

So you attack with your mainhand (1d8), then attack again with you mainhand weapon (1d8) as a bonus action (because you have an ability that allows you to), then get a "free" attack with your offhand (1d4).

If your goal is to allow dual-wielders to make a... Let's call it a follow-up attack, rather than an off-hand attack... Any time they make a... Let's call it an opening attack... whether the attack is made with a standard or bonus action, why even keep the requirement that you make the attack as part of the Attack action in the first paragraph? Why not just, "Once per turn, when you make an attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can attack with a different light melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand. You don't add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack, unless that modifier is negative."?

As for being able to dual-wield rapier and dagger... Why not just make that a property of the rapier instead of trying to kludge it into the two-weapon fighting rules? Or better yet, make a Main Gauche weapon. Martial, 1d4 Piercing, light, finesse, special*

*once per turn when you make an attack with a rapier you're wielding in one hand, you can make an attack with a main gauche you're wielding in your other hand. You don't add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack, unless that modifier is negative.

As for being able to dual-wield rapier and dagger... Why not just make that a property of the rapier instead of trying to kludge it into the two-weapon fighting rules? Or better yet, make a Main Gauche weapon. Martial, 1d4 Piercing, light, finesse, special*
I feel like creating a "main gauche" weapon distinct from the "dagger" would be clunky and not very 5E. I'd rather just give the dagger an "extra-light" property which allows a weapon to be used for off-hand attacks even if the main-hand weapon isn't light.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Here's a quick attempt to improve the wording...

Fighting With Two Weapons

• When you take the Attack action and attack with a melee weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand. Both weapons must be light, or one of them must be a dagger.
  • Alternatively, if another feature or spell lets you use a bonus action to attack a creature with a weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can attack it one extra time with a different one-handed weapon that you're holding in the other hand.
  • Don't add your ability modifier to the damage of any bonus or extra attacks made this way, unless that modifier is negative. If any of the weapons used have the thrown property, you can throw them instead of making a melee attack with them.

It's all a bit clunky because what you are trying to do is complicated. Some notes...
I think the generality of "Both weapons must be..." satisfactorily casts itself back over the whole of "When you take... etc". I take it that you intend the one-handed weapons for the second element "Alternatively... etc" to possibly be ranged and/or not Light. Correct? For this reason, the other provisos are stacked at the end, to cast back over all the foregoing. (And I'll stay silent on whether opening that up to any weapon is a good idea.) A possible ambiguity as I have it is that someone might think the "bonus action to attack" attack in the "Alternatively..." element is the same as "bonus... attacks made this way", when of course it isn't. I hoped "made this way" would clue to "made due to this feat and not for some other reason" or whatever.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Actually, just to comment on the intent. I think if you want to address the rapier/dagger thing, which Mearls discussed, it would be better done through a weapon property, such as (on rapier)...

Balanced - If used for two weapon fighting, the weapon in the other hand has the same damage die as this weapon.

One thing I like and dislike with your approach is it opens up the unlikely flail/dagger etc.

Then on the subject of adding an attack to other features or spells that give you bonus attacks. This is probably a bad idea. The reason is that with this feat in play, every time one designed such a feature or spell, one would have to bear in mind that it could trigger +1 attack. With any one-handed weapon! At the very least, this text should be tightened. Maybe the second attack should have to be with Light melee weapons only? It's seems too open-ended as you have it and possibly ambiguous when switching weapons.

Say I have a +4 ability modifier and a 65% chance to hit a creature. Using Greatsword and Longsword, could I -

GWM > Attack ~8.5 > Extra Attack ~8.5 > kill creature > switch weapon > bonus attack ~5.5 > free attack ~5.5

Last edited:

clearstream

(He, Him)
Conversely, when you use your bonus action to make a attack with a weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can make another attack against the same creature with the weapon you are holding in the other hand. You don't add your ability modifier to the damage of this additional attack, unless that modifier is negative.
At tier 2, Attack action with Hand Crossbow with Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter > Extra Attack with same > Bonus attack with same > Free attack with same... all with power-attack. Usually this combination has to wait to tier 3 to outstrip the two-handed heavy greatsword with GWM for damage.

Is that intended?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases