Does Rope Trick Heal?

• Yes

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 90.0%

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I actually said they had no spells that heal. Seems this poll is in great agreement with me.
Incorrect, you said they lacked healing. As many have said, Rope Trick is a healing enabler. You don't need to have a spell that restores hit points to provide healing support.

MarkB

Legend
Incorrect, you said they lacked healing. As many have said, Rope Trick is a healing enabler. You don't need to have a spell that restores hit points to provide healing support.

Did anyone add Catnap to that list? It serves much the same purpose.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
You can't perform a Short Rest with Rope Trick. The duration is inconveniently just too short for it. In order to perform a short rest, you must do nothing strenuous for at least one hour. And even one round of strenuous activity breaks and resets the clock on that hour. Guess what Rope Trick requires you do to? Climb 60' of rope, twice. You can't even say pretend it's not strenuous because the most a normal character can climb is 30' a round, while dashing.

People have already explained why you're wrong.

I just wanted to quote you, for posterity sake.

Happy new year, and congratulations on your major award!

christmas-story-50-inch-leg-lamp-leg-only-1000-web.jpg

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Up to 60 feet of rope. The rope can be 60 feet or less. You could use a three-foot length of rope, and the most strenuous thing anyone would have to do is kneel down to get into it and then step up.

Or, if even a single party member is not currently in need of a short rest, they can go in first and then haul each of the other party members up while they merely hold onto the rope. You can even rig a loop for them to sit in if you think holding a rope is too strenuous for short-rest purposes.

Or you could just fly into the hole. :p

Yes, I am fully aware there are ways to circumnavigate the climbing requirement.
No, that doesn't change the interpretation of the spell, because climbing in was only half the problem with it.

The other problem was the duration:

It's exactly one hour, what are you going to do when the spell ends? Fall on your tail after the pocket dimension poofs out of existence? Quite the wake-up call that would be. If it was literally just one minute longer I would agree with the sentiment. But as it stands, the spell is designed in such a way that it just edges out a short rest under normal use. Making it an invisibility spell that pushes the boundaries as far as it possibly can before it becomes something else, without hard-stopping it because 5e avoids hard stops as much as possible. Heck, even in prior editions it was a hiding spell first and foremost, so it's not like it's a hot new take on a classic spell.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It's a climb that doesn't require a skill check of any kind. That is not "more strenuous" in my book.

Any DM who tries to rule it as you suggest is a DM that will quickly have no players.

Walking doesn't require a check, either, and that resets the clock. It doesn't take a whole heck of a lot to be more strenuous than eating and drinking. That said, I think the intent was to give a 1 hour short rest, so I wouldn't gimp the players on the technicality that James Grover pointed out.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Or you could just fly into the hole.

Yes, I am fully aware there are ways to circumnavigate the climbing requirement.
No, that doesn't change the interpretation of the spell, because climbing in was only half the problem with it.

The other problem was the duration:

It's exactly one hour, what are you going to do when the spell ends? Fall on your tail after the pocket dimension poofs out of existence? Quite the wake-up call that would be. If it was literally just one minute longer I would agree with the sentiment. But as it stands, the spell is designed in such a way that it just edges out a short rest under normal use. Making it an invisibility spell that pushes the boundaries as far as it possibly can before it becomes something else, without hard-stopping it because 5e avoids hard stops as much as possible. Heck, even in prior editions it was a hiding spell first and foremost, so it's not like it's a hot new take on a classic spell.
A short rest isn't an action, it's an inaction. If the climb isn't strenuous, then the 6 or so seconds getting in don't matter.

Remove ads