D&D 5E Does Rope Trick Heal?

Does Rope Trick Heal?

• Yes

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 90.0%

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Saying wizards get everything except healing isn't the kind of comment that ought to start a dispute. Explicitly calling out a statement whose meaning everyone agrees with is what causes disputes, like this one we have had about rope trick.

I mentioned this earlier but I think this sources back to TreantMonk's guides (and new videos - which are superb by the way) which among other things, talk about Tiny Hut and Rope Trick as being some of the two best spells in the game to serve the role of healing up the party. He makes an excellent case for it, and compares them to direct healing spells and other things which serve the healing role in the game. You might disagree with him but if you've seen his position (which he's developed for years) I don't think you will find his position in any way unreasonable.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Climbing one foot of rope is not more strenuous than tending someone else's wounds or your own. But you don't even need to do that under the rules as written.

Please, please, pleeaaaaase let me video you trying to climb one foot of rope. The video of you trying to get your hands, feet and body around one foot of rope AND move up should go viral. :p

Step 1. Cast spell on 3' length of rope.
Step 2. Crouch down and move to entrance of rope trick portal.
Step 3. Stand up in portal.
Step 4. Sit on lip of portal.
Step 5. Bring your legs in and stand up in rope trick portal.

None of these are strenuous activities any more or less strenuous than tending wounds or walking.

None of that involves climbing the rope, either. Climbing the rope is how you enter the portal.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I mentioned this earlier but I think this sources back to TreantMonk's guides (and new videos - which are superb by the way) which among other things, talk about Tiny Hut and Rope Trick as being some of the two best spells in the game to serve the role of healing up the party. He makes an excellent case for it, and compares them to direct healing spells and other things which serve the healing role in the game. You might disagree with him but if you've seen his position (which he's developed for years) I don't think you will find his position in any way unreasonable.

I haven't but I agree with the idea, semantic wording of the idea maybe not, but the idea itself I find quite correct.

Rope Trick and Tiny hut are great spells that help fill "part" of the healing role. You see I would break the healing role itself into 2 parts (maybe 4). You have the combat healing role and the out of combat healing role (and possibly the quick vs slow heals). Tiny Hut and Rope Trick are great at filling the slow out of combat healing role. That said the wizard is poor at the combat healing role. He gets a few tricks he can use to help prevent death but those tricks aren't generally spell slot cheap or concentration cheap and usually always have some potential downside that may impact what the targeted PC can do negatively.

I haven't but I agree with the idea, semantic wording of the idea maybe not, but the idea itself I find quite correct.

Rope Trick and Tiny hut are great spells that help fill "part" of the healing role. You see I would break the healing role itself into 2 parts (maybe 4). You have the combat healing role and the out of combat healing role (and possibly the quick vs slow heals). Tiny Hut and Rope Trick are great at filling the slow out of combat healing role. That said the wizard is poor at the combat healing role. He gets a few tricks he can use to help prevent death but those tricks aren't generally spell slot cheap or concentration cheap and usually always have some potential downside that may impact what the targeted PC can do negatively.

To be clear, I do not consider either spell to provide direct healing, as "healing" is something that can have direct consequences in the rules.

So my clarification would be that each spell allows you access to healing that otherwise might not be available, so as far as party roles go, each spell can provide effectively the same result as a long term healing spell.

So I would argue that the poll question doesn't have a yes or no answer, any more than asking if bed provides you rest. Nope, techically it's the sleep that provides the rest, the bed allows you to sleep. The HD provide the healing, the Rope Trick allows you to use them.

Remove ads