D&D 5E Players Only: How Often Should Your Character Be Able to "Go Nova"?

How often should I get to 'go nova'?

• Any time I want. (No restrictions at all on my resources.)

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Once per round. (My resources should all reset at the end of my turn.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Once per encounter. (My resources should all reset when I roll initiative.)

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Once per short rest. (My resources should all reset when I take a break.)

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Once per long rest. (My resources should all reset when I wake up.)

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • Once per day. (My resources should all reset at dawn.)

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Once per gaming session. (My resources should all reset when we start playing.)

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Once per adventure. (My resources should all reset when we finish a quest.)

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Once per level. (My resources should all reset when I level-up.)

Votes: 0 0.0%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
For the purpose of this poll, "going nova" means using all of your best and most effective class features: your most damaging spells and attacks, your most devastating combos, your flashiest and snazziest tricks. "Going Nova" means that you are using all of the best and most iconic things that define your character, and you're spending the most resources you can so that you can crank all the dials as high as they will go. It's the ultimate power-move...the hardest you can hit, the fastest you can go, the most you can do, etc.

So. If the choice were up to you, and the game was going to be balanced to match your choice...which would you choose? (I put some examples in parenthesis...they're just examples.)

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
once per short rest i think, if i had to pick ONE for everyone it would be by short rests, but i would probably be lowering the bar for how much damage/control/healing/whatever each individual nova gets you,

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Isn't "Going Nova" and "resources reset" 2 different things?

Like a Barbarian's resources reset at "daily strength" but their nova strength is "encounter strength" because a barbarian cannot stack nor chain the effect of multiple rages.

Refreshing everything on in-game days is going to cause problems, of the nova-and-nap variety. I have daily resources, and I have no time limit? Of course that's the logical course of action for my character.

Refreshing everything for each encounter is going to make them all need to be deadly encounters, yet they'll often end up similar. We went through this with 4e, where outside of dailies (which encouraged the 5-minute work day) you tended to do the same things.

So I think I'll say... each encounter you have available to you RANDOMLY CHOSEN abilities (from a themed pool). Because I like chaos and surprise and being forced to optimize with what I'm given.

Last edited:

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Isn't "Going Nova" and "resources reset" 2 different things?

Like a Barbarian's resources reset at "daily strength" but their nova strength is "encounter strength" because a barbarian cannot stack nor chain the effect of multiple rages.
this is something i think is desirable, being able to nova while at the same time not being mechanically able to drop absolutely all your resources in one go, but i picked short rests in the interest of not making your best abilities something you use every battle and diminishing their percieved value as a result

Remove ads