I want faster character creation. Also, I’m a monster.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
The other day I was feeling slightly bored with my current SKT character and decided to make a backup just in case he kicks the bucket. Which is actually not likely since he is a Zealot, but anyway...

I made a level 5 Monk and a level 5 Ranger all in the space of 30 minutes. Both with point buy and both Variant humans.

Perhaps I was just motivated. It was after all more fun than doing my job.

So while I am sure it could be further streamlined I'm one of those that doesn't feel the need.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
There’s a reason I said roll in order. You don’t choose what ability to place the score in when you do that.
Indeed, but the process of generating a set of six, and then re-generating sets of six until you get a set you are relatively satisfied with still takes longer Point Buy. Hell, generating a single set of 6 can take longer than point buy if you’re not trying to waste your day on it.

I think class choice, skill choices and background choice makes for plenty of decision points. I don’t consider character creation to be role playing.
That’s fair. Can you accept that other people don’t think that is enough decision points to be engaging?

I don’t consider character creation to be roleplaying, but I do consider it to be part of the roleplaying game. Specifically, it is a process of actualizimg the fictional character you will be imagining yourself as when you are roleplaying.

Last edited:

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Hey, did you hear about the conversation between the sadistic DM and the masochistic player?

Player: Kill me, kill me!

DM: ..... No.

Lowkey, you are on FIRE with these last couple of posts!

Speaking of, I'm suddenly reminded of Matchstick from Borderlands 2...

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Why not just skip the Bonds, Ideals, Traits, and Flaws part of character creation and fill them in based on what happens at the table, once the character has seen a few sessions of play, if he/she lasts that long?

I think this may not be a universally held opinion. To present as evidence, I and many others have fun just building characters. Be it to see how the come out mechanically, to see if they can realize a concept within the game system, just to explore some facet.
Oh, certainly! I didn't mean it was a chore, as in it was boring. I just meant that it was a necessary obligation, which you must complete before you can play the actual game. Even if you really like carrots, you still have to eat them all before you can have dessert.

I don't know who said it first, but ever since 3E, character creation has been its own mini-game. You have all of these dials and buttons to set, and you really can go in with nothing and end up with something that feels worth the time you've spent on it. You can "win" character creation, by making a character that is particularly powerful or versatile, or which explores the mechanics in an unusual way, or whatever criteria you're using to judge yourself.

But the single-player game of character creation is more-or-less de-coupled from the multi-player game of what those characters do, and too much emphasis on the former can shift focus away from the latter. Back when I was playing Pathfinder, there were players who were notorious for building complex characters, only to let them die in silly ways so that they could go back and build another character.

Removing the character creation mini-game can help to focus the table on the kind of game that the DM wants to run. Without complex creation options, some players will be less inclined to play sillily, because there's no incentive to getting yourself killed. It also serves as a heads up to potential players, so that they know what they're getting themselves into, and can choose to opt out immediately.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Why not just skip the Bonds, Ideals, Traits, and Flaws part of character creation and fill them in based on what happens at the table, once the character has seen a few sessions of play, if he/she lasts that long?

At my table at least, personality traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws are hugely important since the players need those in order to claim Inspiration.

Inspiration saves lives.

Arilyn

Hero
Oh, certainly! I didn't mean it was a chore, as in it was boring. I just meant that it was a necessary obligation, which you must complete before you can play the actual game. Even if you really like carrots, you still have to eat them all before you can have dessert.

I don't know who said it first, but ever since 3E, character creation has been its own mini-game. You have all of these dials and buttons to set, and you really can go in with nothing and end up with something that feels worth the time you've spent on it. You can "win" character creation, by making a character that is particularly powerful or versatile, or which explores the mechanics in an unusual way, or whatever criteria you're using to judge yourself.

But the single-player game of character creation is more-or-less de-coupled from the multi-player game of what those characters do, and too much emphasis on the former can shift focus away from the latter. Back when I was playing Pathfinder, there were players who were notorious for building complex characters, only to let them die in silly ways so that they could go back and build another character.

Removing the character creation mini-game can help to focus the table on the kind of game that the DM wants to run. Without complex creation options, some players will be less inclined to play sillily, because there's no incentive to getting yourself killed. It also serves as a heads up to potential players, so that they know what they're getting themselves into, and can choose to opt out immediately.

I know that there are players who deliberately let their characters die in order to bring in their latest and coolest. Never understood that. I mean, really? Pull that trick at my table, and you get a pregen of my making, and since I'm not happy...And that pregen will be strangely robust!:)

Wouldn't the character system have to be really basic to avoid the silliness you mention? And is it so common that we need to take that behaviour into account when designing a character creation system in a game?

Remove ads