D&D 5E Third Party Highlights?

Retreater

Legend
This thread is sort of piggybacking off another thread. I'm curious about some of your favorite 3rd party 5th edition (or system agnostic) products? They can be print or digital. They can be adventures, player options, campaign guides, monster tomes, or other. What makes them good?

Retreater

Legend
I'd love to start off with some stuff I just downloaded from Drivethru. Raging Swan Press released some Pathfinder Compatible books (that I'm actually using easily enough in 4E and 5E games) called Urban Dressing, Dungeon Dressing, and Wilderness Dressing. These are full of little details to give your settings life, help generate NPCs and random encounters to liven up travel, and are springboards for ideas to go in any direction. I can foresee getting a lot of mileage from these!

The Adventures in Middle Earth line by Cubicle7 is really good, but practically its own game. For more vanilla 5e-compatible material Kobold Press' Creature Codex is pretty great; it's got some interesting monsters without being tied too much to their in-house setting.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
My favorites:
Tome of beasts and Creature codex, two awesome books full of ideas and FUN monsters with interesting abilities.
Tal Dorei Campaign Setting: even if it is "standard fantasy" it is one of the best RPG products or there. IMO it does great with giving you a solid world but also has empty rooms for your to fill. It is full of fantastic ideas.
Stronghold & followers: we don't have the final version but we get an idea. A new layer for the game we love.
Wyrd and wild: dark wilderness fantasy
There is another book I don't remember the name, critter compendium or something like that

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
Tome of Beasts and Creature Codex from Kobold Press- Excellent monsters that are on the slightly more powerful side for their CR
MT Black adventures- He has many to choose from and some are better than others. I enjoyed Shadows on the Long Road and Beneath the Ruins of Firestone Keep the most.
Tal Dorei Campaign Setting- I don't know if I will ever play in the setting, but it is well written.
Tomb of Tiberash (adventure from Kobold Press)- a fun tomb/dungeon run
Curtain Call/Trust No One (Eberron adventures co-authored by Keith Baker)- Really fun adventures that show off Eberron

Satyrn

First Post
I'd love to start off with some stuff I just downloaded from Drivethru. Raging Swan Press released some Pathfinder Compatible books (that I'm actually using easily enough in 4E and 5E games) called Urban Dressing, Dungeon Dressing, and Wilderness Dressing. These are full of little details to give your settings life, help generate NPCs and random encounters to liven up travel, and are springboards for ideas to go in any direction. I can foresee getting a lot of mileage from these!
My megadungeon has been will served with Dungeon Dressing.

Before cracking open that book . . . er, PDF, I use Frog God's Tome of Adventure Design to create the dungeon areas themselves. It's a wonderfully inspiring collection of random tables.

Rellott

Explorer
I’ve been a fan of everything Kobold Press has released for 5e so far. Their two monster books, as well as their setting book and the accompanying player option book (that doesn’t necessarily have to be used with the setting) are my favorites.

I enjoy a lot of the work created by Benjamin Huffman, aka Sterling Vermin. He’s got several good classes (magus and pugilist) and lots of interesting races.

Dan Coleman’s “Dungeons on Demand” series is amazing, as is his Ebonclad setting/concept.

I’m also a huge fan of Mage Hand Press (sometimes calling themselves the Middle Finger of Vecna). They’ve created several brand new classes (or reinvented classes from other editions that 5e didn’t have yet) like the witch, gunslinger, warden, warmage, alchemist, gadgeteer, etc. that are just amazing, and their archetypes for existing classes are good, too. I’m looking forward to their sci-fantasy 5e book “Dark Matter” that should be releasing in a couple months.

I really like Paradigm’s “Arcanis” setting, and their mechanics ideas are good but tweak base 5e a bit to where they felt the need to release a new core book just for their version of the game. They have one of the more interesting concepts for a psionic class that I’ve seen.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
The Primeval Thule Campaign Setting and it's supplements is far and away my favorite 3rd Party 5e product line. It was all written before there was an official 5e SRD and OGL, so the phrasing is a bit off from 5e standards, but the book is amazing anyway.

A lot depends on what you like, of course. Thule was pitched as "Conan meets Cthulhu," and that's right up my alley.

Quickleaf

Legend
My favorites:
Tome of beasts and Creature codex, two awesome books full of ideas and FUN monsters with interesting abilities.
Tal Dorei Campaign Setting: even if it is "standard fantasy" it is one of the best RPG products or there. IMO it does great with giving you a solid world but also has empty rooms for your to fill. It is full of fantastic ideas.
Stronghold & followers: we don't have the final version but we get an idea. A new layer for the game we love.
Wyrd and wild: dark wilderness fantasy
There is another book I don't remember the name, critter compendium or something like that

Tome of Beasts and Creature Codex from Kobold Press- Excellent monsters that are on the slightly more powerful side for their CR
MT Black adventures- He has many to choose from and some are better than others. I enjoyed Shadows on the Long Road and Beneath the Ruins of Firestone Keep the most.
Tal Dorei Campaign Setting- I don't know if I will ever play in the setting, but it is well written.
Tomb of Tiberash (adventure from Kobold Press)- a fun tomb/dungeon run
Curtain Call/Trust No One (Eberron adventures co-authored by Keith Baker)- Really fun adventures that show off Eberron

I'll third Tome of Beasts (Kobold Press). Outstanding. Looking forward to picking up their Creature Codex.

Remove ads