The Alliance of American Football

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
After seeing several reports that Aaron Murray was the starter they went with Matt Simms instead. They still ended up losing, carrying on the Atlanta tradition.

Even with the constant reminders from the announcers. And I mean constant, you don't seem to miss the kick off or point after attempt. Those being the biggest changes. It did seem to move faster also. Commercial breaks were done with split screen showing the game and commercial. They talked about having a lot of minority coaches. It also looks like they're trying for diversity in a lot of areas. The one that reviewed the plays in the booth was a woman. She overturned a call by the referees giving Orlando their first TD. Proving to my very biased eyes that not only male officials are blind. :p
The talk about The NFL was not talk of competition but cooperation. They expect their players to leave for The NFL. They hope for it. It may turn out this a lot like a minor league for The NFL. When The XFL returns that'll be interesting to see. They'll take the stance of competition I think. I remember when it started. I watched and enjoyed some of the games.

Satyrn

First Post
The talk about The NFL was not talk of competition but cooperation.
The NFL Already deals cooperatively with a minor league - Canadian Football League - so they have lots of experience on how best to handle it.

It might be trickier since the AAF is playing in the same country. I wouldn't be surprised, for example, if the NFL encourages the AAF to keep away Cleveland, for great that a successful minor league team could drag viewers away from that Browns trainwreck. (Watch me get proved wrong immediately, with somebody chiming in to tell me Sandusky already has a team)

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
No Cleveland team yet. Memphis, Birmingham, Atlanta, Orlando are the Eastern teams.

I didn't really see the CFL as a minor league. I suspect Canadians don't either.lol

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
CFL isn’t minor league, any more than the various premier soccer leagues across Europe and the rest of the world are not major vs minor league.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I'm not sure where my sister heard this, but it seem the players are only $50k a year. And people are complaining that they should be paid more. I'd kill for a job like that, and only "work" 10 days a year.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That sounds a lot like the old XFL and Arena League contracts. I doubt they’ll be able to keep them that low for long. Football is just too demanding.

Satyrn

First Post
No Cleveland team yet. Memphis, Birmingham, Atlanta, Orlando are the Eastern teams.

I didn't really see the CFL as a minor league. I suspect Canadians don't either.lol

I don't exactly see it as a minor league (I am Canadian), but it's close enough of a description.

While the CFL is Canada's Premier football league, the NFL is still the Big Time. If the NFL wants anybody in the CFL, they get them. There's been some notable players in this list, like Warren Moon, Doug Flutie and, going the other way, Ricky Williams.

Remove ads